1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy just picked up a metal box with a bracket and the words Gun Book embossed on it. The guy he bought it from said it was to hold a manual and was attached to a MG he used in ww2. Other items he said were also ww2, were not, so he might have been confused. gunbook1.jpg gunbook2.jpg Guessing it was a training thing? cant find anything like it related to the 1919. Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
I have no real evidence, but going strictly by the letter shapes, it almost looks like a commercial one off.
Just my first impression. Pure guess work here.

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
I wonder if it wasn't for an artillery piece, definitely bigger then a machine gun.
Yes, that would be my guess too. Judging from the mounting brackets quite possibly for an armored vehicle.
CaptMax

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Found a mention of a similar item on G503. AZ Jeff has a Pack75 kit that includes a similar box, mounted to the trail. This particular item doesn't smell WWII to me but who knows. J

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
I have seen pictures of Sherman tanks with a similar box mounted on the hull, I believe on the left side of the hull. The pictures were post war though. I have always wondered what went in those boxes. I know they had connections for field telephones but that was in the rear.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
I would say its for exterior mounting on an artillery piece. One would expect a drawing number somewhere on either the box or lid, the cover snaps look GI. As armorer says tanks did have a telephone handset in a weatherproof box at the rear I have seen pictures of them being used.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
I am a little surprised they would call it "Gun Book" as the U.S. military usually refers to books about equipment as "Technical Manuals" or "Field Manuals" although I do have a khaki colored canvas envelope stamped with "Ordnance Hand Book". I don't know if there was a specific type of book referred to as the gun book. If so maybe it had information specific to that particular gun like how many rounds it had fired and when maintenance had been performed. As was said it was probably used with an artillery type weapon.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
If it is what we all think it is, it's for round count, frequency, type of round etc. We tried to keep count on our 3" Parrot Guns. Bolts are way tougher on the gun than shell. J Or it is a children's book about guns.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
If it is what we all think it is, it's for round count, frequency, type of round etc. We tried to keep count on our 3" Parrot Guns. Bolts are way tougher on the gun than shell. J Or it is a children's book about guns.
I don't know, that lid snap don't look very kid friendly to me. LOL!!:)

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
I am a little surprised they would call it "Gun Book" as the U.S. military usually refers to books about equipment as "Technical Manuals" or "Field Manuals" although I do have a khaki colored canvas envelope stamped with "Ordnance Hand Book". I don't know if there was a specific type of book referred to as the gun book. If so maybe it had information specific to that particular gun like how many rounds it had fired and when maintenance had been performed. As was said it was probably used with an artillery type weapon.
Vehicles had canvas snap cover pouches/pockets for operators manuals. Once in probably 1963 I was sent to the "Public Works Depot" to pick up a 'rental" vehicle at the Norfolk Naval Base to supplement our Jeep and Dodge Carryall. Apparently someone pissed of someone else What I got was a late 1940's Dodge 4WD 1 ton pickup painted yellow with a 'Follow me" sign that folded up over the top of the cab and an A frame tow bar hinged on the back of the pickup box. There were, as I remember, several canvas pouches with TM/FM stuff inside. I think this may have been used at NNAS as a airport service vehicle. Since the statute of limitations has long expired I will admit to stopping just outside Portsmouth VA and putting up the sign also there was a siren and some flashing lights involved. I drove to Churchland VA just outside the entrance to the Naval Fuel Storage Docks at Craney Island and pulled into some guys driveway put the sign down, had to tell the following cars that the emergency was over backed out and made it to the dock without anyone being the wiser. We had the truck for a week or so mostly it was used to make after taps booze runs when the OOD was a senior Petty Officer.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
old military stuff

That was an air field "follow me truck", it was used on the runways so that pilots landing would know where to park their airplanes, an original one today would bring a pretty good premium. They were usually Jeeps but some times they would use bigger trucks so they could haul crews out to their airplanes.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Vehicles had canvas snap cover pouches/pockets for operators manuals. Once in probably 1963 I was sent to the "Public Works Depot" to pick up a 'rental" vehicle at the Norfolk Naval Base to supplement our Jeep and Dodge Carryall. Apparently someone pissed of someone else What I got was a late 1940's Dodge 4WD 1 ton pickup painted yellow with a 'Follow me" sign that folded up over the top of the cab and an A frame tow bar hinged on the back of the pickup box. There were, as I remember, several canvas pouches with TM/FM stuff inside. I think this may have been used at NNAS as a airport service vehicle. Since the statute of limitations has long expired I will admit to stopping just outside Portsmouth VA and putting up the sign also there was a siren and some flashing lights involved. I drove to Churchland VA just outside the entrance to the Naval Fuel Storage Docks at Craney Island and pulled into some guys driveway put the sign down, had to tell the following cars that the emergency was over backed out and made it to the dock without anyone being the wiser. We had the truck for a week or so mostly it was used to make after taps booze runs when the OOD was a senior Petty Officer.
Charlie mentioned the canvas pouch that vehicle manuals were kept in. Here are photos front and back of one plus the ordnance hand book pouch.

ATTACH=CONFIG]13252[/ATTACH] IMG_1742.jpg IMG_1743.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
330 Posts
Arty dad-in-law says "Gun Book" was the document that travelled with a gun (meaning artillery or something bigger than your average 1919) and had all the measurements and maintenance data and so on entered into it.

Page 1 of this doc has more info on the book itself: http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/ref/TM/pdfs/TM9-374.pdf

2. RECORDS.

a. Artillery Gun Book.

(1) The Artillery Gun Book (O.O. Form 5825) is used for the
purpose of keeping an accurate record of the materiel. It must always
remain with the materiel regardless of where it may be sent. The
book is divided as follows: record of assignment; battery commander's
daily gun record; inspector's record of examination; forms to be filled
in case of premature explosions. This book should be in the posses-
sion of organization at all times, and its completeness of records and
its whereabouts are the responsibility of the battery commander. It
must also contain date of issuance of the materiel, by whom used and
the place where issued. If a new howitzer is installed on the carriage,
all data recorded in the old book with reference to sights, mounts, etc.,
must be copied into new book before the old book is relinquished. If
a gun book is lost, it should be replaced at once and all entries brought
up to date. Additional copies may be obtained by requisition to Sup-
ply and Maintenance Department, Raritan Arsenal, Metuchen, New
Jersey, on WD AGO Form No. 445. NOTE: Record of assignment
data must be removed and destroyed prior to entering combat.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Info site

I have searched the internet for hours trying to find a copy of the manual for my 57mm AT gun, somehow I've never seen that site! If they had the manual for the 90mm gun they should have one for the 57mm.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts