1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
Mix of parts and pieces...

Rats...!!! Thought this would be a 1917 cart. Anyway,there are a lot of different items there....all of which were used in WW2. I noticed that there is a wood ammo box and a steel one too. This was not unusual. As in every war,you use whatever you can grab from the supply folks and make it work. Or whatever you can beg,barter or get from a battle-field.
On a historical note,the 1917 wood carts were not taken into battle for WW2 and were used only for training the Army Browning 1917A1 machine-gun crews all thru the war. The Army had transitioned from the wood gun carts to a metal cart by 1932 for combat and over-seas use.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
A little off topic but the M1919A4 originally was mounted on the M1917A1 tripod (as shown) as they had not yet developed the M2 tripod. The 1919A4/M1917A1 combination could hardly be called a light machine gun as the tripod alone was fifty two pounds. Later in WWII M1917A1 gunners would use the M2 tripod when they could get their hands on one as it was a lot easier to move around. As I understand it, all the fancy scales and numbers on the water cooled tripod were seldom used in combat.

I have shot my A4 off of the M1917A1 tripod as it is very stable and allows a small stool to sit on (if I don't have a bench to shoot off of) but is one heavy mother to haul back and fourth.

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
In the Pacific you see heavy use of the 17a1 on M2 tripods late war.

The manual called for using 2 ammo cans on their sides as a seat. I am sure that idea went away the first time bullets started cracking around them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts