1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
New house and finishing the basement. Want to add a gun wall behind some security. Looking for pointers on the wall itself - what works, doesn't, considering the diversity of goodies from small to large?
For security, it's in a couple layers of block on 3 sides, but I want to the front to have a steel covering of some sort - a coated steel mesh for example, that is lockable. Any links, pics, names, suggestions, welcome.
Never been a fan of 'rooms' - too easy to know they are there, so just looking for a wall. The steel won't be visible unless I want it to be.
du

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I have tried a lot of Wall coverings over the years, but when I finally got my vault built, I used Slat wall covering and bought hangers from a local used equipment place. Works well for guns and gear.....

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
It’s called (wall control) it comes in different colors. It’s steel. I chose galvanized because it reflects light and I like the way it looks.
Amazon sells it. It attaches to studs 12” or 16” on center. It has its own hook system and uses pegboard type also. It hold a tremendous amount of weight.

44CD6516-3150-4445-9B00-BAB33A3FF083.jpeg
BB37A467-4E3A-40B8-9C58-93473ACA26CE.jpeg
C89E25E2-9BD3-429F-BBA1-DEF25C350EF0.jpeg

·
Registered
195 Posts
Mike question do you just have that racking above your work bench? Just looked it up holy crap is that gonna be pricey ...
Wonder if they make custom sizes.

·
11,291 Posts
Barrel rack for @Rory

i prefer to go down the route of the real volume collectors here. @bmg17a1 has maxims lined up like a full battalion, and thats the full guns. hes got enough barrels to build a rather large fence out of. not to mention all the other MGs lining the walls!

@heckinohio's dungeon has the machine guns up all the walls, on all the shelves, and in every free spot of floor space. there is a narrow walking path so you can walk through and drool over all the toys.

@pa123guns has so many machineguns they are just stacked up like cord wood. you want a johnson? theres a tree style stack of them over on the right. whatever other weird and rare and other? its likely back over there but let him think for a minute!

·
Registered
20 Posts
this is just the show wall in my little workshop. its just pallet boards that i screw big felt padded hooks into that I bought off amazon. Its nothing special and I just move the hooks and screw them in somewhere else when I want to change it. Opposite this wall I have steel shelving racks and steel cabinets for ammo cans, boxes of parts kits, targets, and other heavy stuff that is boring to look at. The steel shelf units hold a ton of weight and are screwed into the wall for stability. And they make it so that I don't have to move 8 ammo cans to get to one on the bottom of a stack.

I also have a workbench with the wall control pegboard that hold mostly armorers tools but also some parts and part trays. There is also a small loft area where I keep a lot of "prepper" stuff like tents, sleeping bags, extra first aid items, and a lot of my rifle cases as they take up a lot of room. Next I'm doing the floor, probably in those gray diamond plate rubber mats.

Wall control would be nice for the whole wall, but I have too much stuff for each gun to keep with them. I even though about doing cubbies so i could have each one for each gun. But its easier to have a large MTM Case-Gard box with labels on them. They stack well too.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
One of our members recently did his gun room with different material and it looks awesome. Perhaps he will chime in, perhaps he will remain silent.

Aside from that, another member has his Vickers set up museum style, with sandbags, can etc. while consuming substantial real estate, such a display is unmatched by wall mounted collections. While clearly few have such ample space for dioramas, just one such setup truly highlights an entire display collection.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts

·
11,291 Posts
i just installed pallet racking for the ammo. i don't know if 30 feet will be enough, but its what i have room for in the space that i want to use. for this.

as for the guns... i have no idea what i'm going to do. i have a bunch in one area but its not really the best display. just a bunch of tripod mounted arms and the cannon.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Mike question do you just have that racking above your work bench? Just looked it up holy crap is that gonna be pricey ...
Wonder if they make custom sizes.
No, I did the whole room. It was pricey. I bought a few every payday. It took some time. I bought a plasma cutter a while back. When I need a special size I just cut it to fit. I know not everyone has a plasma culler but a metal cutting blade will do it on a sawzall or circular saw. Just go slow.

·
Registered
143 Posts
i prefer to go down the route of the real volume collectors here. @bmg17a1 has maxims lined up like a full battalion, and thats the full guns. hes got enough barrels to build a rather large fence out of. not to mention all the other MGs lining the walls!

@heckinohio's dungeon has the machine guns up all the walls, on all the shelves, and in every free spot of floor space. there is a narrow walking path so you can walk through and drool over all the toys.

@pa123guns has so many machineguns they are just stacked up like cord wood. you want a johnson? theres a tree style stack of them over on the right. whatever other weird and rare and other? its likely back over there but let him think for a minute!
I know it was a mistake but it made my day imagining that I have stacks of machine guns. Thanks @Rory

it could semi true if you count all my parts kits and that I’m a SOT. I just don’t have the time to build the stuff I have let alone time to build a nice gun room. The idea of my stuff being stacked is true. I have been working through cleaning all of them. Haha

Nice gun rooms to @Mike Duke and @SPC Fish

·
11,291 Posts
just trying to build up your rep. he buys them just to fill the dead spaces in the room!

other people buy a couch or a poster. @pa123guns grabs another 30 machine guns. "just throw them over there int he corner"

🤣 :ROFLMAO: 🤣 :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
The Slat wall is handy , easy to cut an relatively cheap. I finished the room with sheetrock, then installed the 4x8 slat wall sheets. Painted to match the walls. Unlike magic Mike, I don't have space to store the parts there, so they are in boxes in pallet racking . Now, if we count parts kits and class II 'ism, I would need to build another room. I still have $250 1919 kits in wood mortar ammo crates - 2 to a crate. they used to come 10 to a pallet that way. ;) Pretty sure I still have FA plates too- posties of course. Pretty sure I sold the vickers kits to fund another purchase.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Well you could just drop the truck load off at my place.... I am sure I can find room. Although, the pic above is only two of the walls, and part of the floor. My design included expansion peninsulas and maybe all the handguns on free standing rotating 6 ft tall lazy susans. In case some body dropped a truck load off -

1 - 20 of 38 Posts