1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received my 1919A4 from Allied. I have 9 more days to wait for it but when I went to look at it while filling out the papers I had the hardest time pulling back on the top latch cover (it wouldn't budge) so I couldn't get it open. I know it's newely rebuilt but am I doing anything wrong or is it tight just because it's been parkerized? Is there a special button I should be aware of? Any advice on how to make it slide back and forth? Any feedback would be helpful. Should I get a wooden mallet and work it back and forth? Thanks in advance.

Earl

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
I have to use two hands on mine and I like it that way because it's no fun when a top cover pops open under fire.

It will be easier to open once you get the gun secured to a tripod (or a shoulder stock with bipod) where you can pull straight backward on the latch without fighting to balance the gun at the same time. I hook my thumbs around the rear sight base and pull back.

Some guys have a different latch that is easier to manipulate and still secures tightly, but I can't recall where they get them.

·
BeltFed GURU
4,321 Posts
the diffrent latch LOBO mentions is the A6 latch variant and currently unavalible from all the sources i know, they have dried up for the time being though you mighty find one at knob creek or other shoot and swap

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Working it back and fourth with a mallet will help. I smooth up the "V" part of the spring on the bottom of the latch where it catches in the top plate with a belt sander. That helps a lot. Dont go overboard, you want it to latch positively.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Try coating all contact parts of the latch with a mild abrasive Lubricant like
Chip McCormic Trigger Slick It will soon work as smooth as butter but will still be secure! ;)

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
My ORF wouldn't budge either... I use a rubber "shot-filled" dead-blow hammer to open and close it.

I also noticed that the sights and other things were really "gritty" and needed to be thoroughly "flushed". I just used plenty of WD40 and blew the stuff out using canned compressed air then lubed it with Militech1 and the sights work like a dream.

I plan to grab another can and see if flushing and re-lubing the top cover helps.

In any event, your gun sounds normal - so no worries.

·
Registered
754 Posts
a6 latch for sale

I have one of the a6 push button latches, what are they worth? i am not going to build an a6 version rifle. i will offer it to someone who needs it. stan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts