1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend who is an 02/07 FFL, and I saw a 1919 post sample that he brought to KCR a few years back. He had used grade 8 bolts instead, 1/4x20 I think, but I might nave the size wrong.

It looked good, although it wasn't "correct". He said that he had never had any loosen yet after firing 1000s of rounds full auto.

Has anyone here ever tried it?

Balming
Edit/Delete Message

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've seen some 1919's that were screwed together.

If you use them (screws, bolts, etc) in place of rivets on a semi build.. you'll need to weld your plates as per ATF rules.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Actually I was thinking of replacing my crappy rivets with button head cap screws also. I think 1/4 by 28 is the size but what length would you need.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Your going to need the shortest ones you can find I think 1/2 inch but your going to need to grind about 1/8 inch off to clear the internal stuff the top plate you can use and lenght you want.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I built my first with screws on the bottom plate and rear cart stop. Every thing else riveted. I would not do it again. I would hand smash the bottom plate rivets before screwing them. The plate is hard as hell (not really, but above most garage builders). Takes more time.

JW

·
Registered
219 Posts
I think that if you used grade 8 screws with red loctite it would hold up just fine, but considering the extra time involved in tapping the holes properly, it would be a whole lot faster to use rivets. I've done several AK screw builds, and can tell you that my builds go much faster using rivets and the same would hold true here.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Don't forget that you have to do the welds if you don't rivit.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I just completed a screw build AK and was not looking forward to taping any more holes in guns.........( took me 8 taps to do yugo underfolder ) so I went ahead and built the 1919a4 as a rivet build nowing NOTHING about rivets.
Let me tell you this..... my NEXT AK will be a rivet build, the rivets are not as hard to do as all the "hype"

Use rivets

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
don't fprget this either

it does not look right. my first build which i will never part with (and it runs like a top) was a screw build but it just does not look right. rivets are easier

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ouchman said:
As Glockhead says I doesn't look right; too perfect. I didn't wear out any taps.
Easy as pie to build. If this thread continues maybe I'll post a pic.

Please post a pic!

I started another thread stating that I will indeed be bolting my first kit together.

I can already see myself buying and building another kit though, so maybe that one will be rivited. Who knows.

B

·
Banned
50 Posts
Have A good Friend that Used Screws

On a full auto Ramo side plate gun. Tapped both holes, used button head Allen screws, And safety wired it all. It was rather cool looking. BTW he was a Tool-room machinist at TRW during the M-14 builds. Damn He's Good.
Bill Out

·
Registered
68 Posts
My frist build 6 years ago was with screws. I used 1/4 -28 button heads. Back then there wasn't alot of info on building a semiauto and riveting seemed way more complicated than just screws. I have never had any screws fall out or loosen with thousands of rounds. I have built with rivets since.The cheap northern tool 12 ton press I bought works great for smashing rivets.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I believe the reason why the orginial receivers were rivited is due not only to manufacturing techniques of the time but also because of military repair procedures. As far as I know the receiver was replaced as an assembly and not repaired.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts