·
Registered
4,953 Posts
What I wouldn't give for a blued fluted jacket on my Vickers!!! :jedicrying:
CaptMax

·
Registered
599 Posts
Love the detailed ebay description. I saw that a few days ago and put it on the watch list... I just picked up a Mk1 Vickers, but you can never have enough parts in the garage...

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way but DP guns are make DP for a reason. A couple of years ago I bought and sold a DP marked fluted jacket because Lou could not repair a barely detectable dent which caused a leak adjacent to the front end cap.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way but DP guns are make DP for a reason. A couple of years ago I bought and sold a DP marked fluted jacket because Lou could not repair a barely detectable dent which caused a leak adjacent to the front end cap.
You are absolutely correct! It is impossible from the pictures to tell if there are pin holes, that is why I would be very careful how I bid on it. Last one I bought I had to return to the seller as it had pin holes, he graciously took it back not realizing it had rust through. In addition some of the threaded water jacket areas were stripped. This water jacket was manufactured in 1917 so it is almost 100 years old.

·
Registered
322 Posts
thats right dont bid on it leave it for me and what ever you do never use tank seal on it. it works on gas tanks and all metal cans and tanks buy it specifically wont work on a fluted vickers jacket they designed it no to

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
There's a lot of rust showing through the paint on that one - almost like it was setting outside for a while. I'm guessing the trunnion wouldn't seal well either. Also missing the steam tube.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Man, what a bunch of whiners and pessimists!! Or are you complainers just trying to drive off competitors? I hope it is the latter.......8^) Of course there is no possible way to preserve this jacket and use it for build if it has a some rust and, God forbid, a PINHOLE in it!!
Enough of this. I sincerely hope someone gets a great deal here ands builds themselves a fine gun......

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Man, what a bunch of whiners and pessimists!! Or are you complainers just trying to drive off competitors? I hope it is the latter.......8^) Of course there is no possible way to preserve this jacket and use it for build if it has a some rust and, God forbid, a PINHOLE in it!!
Enough of this. I sincerely hope someone gets a great deal here ands builds themselves a fine gun......
I think the intention is to advise possible forum member purchasers (who may not have experience dealing with fluted water jackets) of some of the risks associated with the fluted Vickers jackets not to drive off competitors. The issue is not whether you can repair a dent, stripped threads, pits, or pin hole in a fluted jacket, the issue is whether it is cost effective (for enough money, anything can be repaired). The gentleman (95.2% feedback rating, majority of sales under $10) who is selling it has a one sentence description of the item with a no return policy. I have seen a number of fluted water jackets recently in the $300 - $400 range that would have cost more than that to properly repair and make serviceable. Even then you could not have blued them, they would have to be painted.

As far as driving off competition, thousands of people are potentially looking at it on eBay and it will sell for or above market value. Maybe to me :)

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
No one has even said that the jacket is broken! Note the top cover latch holes! The tabs are broken! This jacket is junk. Buyer please have it shipped to me for disposal. :) Na, however its probably a good idea to know what you are getting into. The first time I bought DP marked items, I didn't.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Yes I stay away from anything with a DP on it. :(
CaptMax

1 - 19 of 19 Posts