1919 A4 Forums banner

Hello everyone!

1K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  Erich Cav Man 
#1 ·
I have been following this community for many years and have planned to finish my project for decades. My project being a 1919a4. Was hoping to find a Plinkers jig For the 1919a4. Please let me know if anyone can help. Maybe Toolman is around and can supply same or anyone have one laying around they would like to sell?

#2 ·
Welcome to the community!!! I'm sure toolman203 will be here shortly to help get you what you need !!! Meanwhile tell us a little about yourself and interests. If you have been following for years you already know this is the best place for knowledge, advice, and draining your bank account!!!

#3 ·
I have been ”collecting” expensive toys, …uh firearms my whole life, and just retired and thought I would finally complete some of my project guns. Have all I need to complete a 1919a4 sideplate gun except the courage. Been setting on the side plate for …oh …30 years or so. Really big into reloading. Guess you have to be if you want to feed all the toys although I still use a single stage Lee press. Seems I will need to start reloading my primers since finding them is really getting hard to do. Saw an ad for used primers the other day. $3 or so per hundred. Never thought I would see the day when you would be reloading primers. Love all firearms from black powder cap and ball revolvers to GE Miniguns. Been to Knob Creek a couple times back in the 90’s. Been reading this site for years but never joined until today. I’m thinking the Plinkers jig will make it so easy to rivet that I will no longer be able to find a reason why I can’t finish this project!

#9 ·
Sounds encouraging. I have the bucking bar, etc. was just thinking it would be easier to do a nice job using toolman203 ‘s Plinkers jig. I am pretty much ready to do it with a BFH (or air hammer) but want it to be the best I can do and I think pressing them instead of hammering them I would likely end up with a cleaner looking rivet. Thanks!

#10 ·
I would strongly recommend Toolmans "plinkers jig" It will provide excellent results with minimal practice! I have a handful of leftover rivets I would be more than happy to send you to practice with. And, as was stated previously, there is a good chance there is a board member nearby that would probably be more than willing to help!(y)

#16 ·
ABCB you offered some extra rivets. I actually have a few different rivet sets. I have a set I got in the parts kit I got from Sarco, Inc. 30 years ago and I have a set I got with a bucking bar and rivet tool I got from Iron Creations and I picked up a set of the Black Bear Mfg. rivets. Maybe this is not the board to ask this question but I read several threads on the boards about which rivet set is best and was never able to figure out just which set people thought was the best. Any thoughts on which I should use? Or does it really matter?
Thanks!

Mike

#12 ·
Sorry I missed this. I do have jigs but won't be home until December 11th but I can get you all set up so no worries. We have lots of members here willing to help and answer questions so no worries in that department.
Russ

#17 ·
Black bear rivets will come up short regularly if you press them. Ok for hammer builds.

Msg/burntcapital are the best, right length for pressed, and correct 60 degree heads.

Sarco rivets are fine, but not 60 degree countersinks so you will need to adjust accordingly. A little bit on the longer side for thr bottom plate rivets, so useful in filling improperly demilled / oversize bottom plate holes.

#18 ·
Thanks Greaser! I picked up a belt feeding pawl bracket to replace the one on my left side plate since it was showing heavy use. Not too bad but I figured why not do it in the process. Got rivets for it from Burntcapital. I guess I could spend the $25 and get another full set if that would make it easier. I am all for making this as easy as possible.

Thanks!
Mike

#20 ·
Mike just so you know Jeff at Iron creations only sells MSG (Burnt Capitol Brands) rivets so you already had a set. Now you have enough to build another Browning lol and this is how it starts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.