1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, back to trying to get my Dad's 1919 to run. Will only shoot two rounds at a time. Used parts from my 1919 that runs like a top, all springs etc. Correct 308 booster and all required 308 parts. Good head space. Third round in link Won't advance over by hand either.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Belt holding pawl spring or its hole? Too stiff or if it's packed full of poo and the belt won't advance.

Spring out a cheap ink pen will work in a pinch.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you swap out top covers? My next step would be to check the belt feed pawl & spring.

Matt
Nope just the spring and pawl. I really wish I did. I'm in NC he is in Cali. We don't get together enough. Beautiful gun from Ohio Rapid Fire. Just won't cycle. We have the correct links. The springs from my 1919. Should the top cover and spring sprawl springs be tight or soft? Don't know what the issue is. I'm just going to give him a new top cover, extractor, and springs for Christmas!

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
will it feed rounds cold ?

If its stopping after 2 rounds fired.......I'd loosen the headspace a click or 2.

Check your cam screw in the bottom plate...is it too tight.?

Cam should be able to just slightly wiggle to the touch.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
will it feed rounds cold ?

If its stopping after 2 rounds fired.......I'd loosen the headspace a click or 2.

Check your cam screw in the bottom plate...is it too tight.?

Cam should be able to just slightly wiggle to the touch.
I'd say not, is there a recommendation for torqe? I went through the gun before firing and it was loose, so I tightened it. It had never shot more than two rounds at a time. Even charging manually I can't get the third round chambered, or even on top of the bolt when the second round is chambered.

Could you please explain to me how head space on these effects feeding, I don't understand.

On my new built 1919 I assembled my cam plate is locked down tight, and she runs great. I installed my springs on his, and nothing :mad:

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
I'd say not, is there a recommendation for torqe? I went through the gun before firing and it was loose, so I tightened it. It had never shot more than two rounds at a time. Even charging manually I can't get the third round chambered, or even on top of the bolt when the second round is chambered.

Could you please explain to me how head space on these effects feeding, I don't understand.

On my new built 1919 I assembled my cam plate is locked down tight, and she runs great. I installed my springs on his, and nothing :mad:
Cam screw is kinda like a wheel bearing.

Snug it...back it off a 1/8th to 1/4 turn and stake it in place.

Looking for more info in regards to this......it is a known problem in feed issues if too tight.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as headspace....In my situation...It would consistantly fire 5 and stall.

Backed it off 2 clicks and has been perfect since.

I only run SA ammo as I have a bunch of it. It just keeps it simple for my use.

I see no mention of what ammo you are useing..Reloads/mixed batch/mil spec /soft point?

Overall length of ammo can cause fits....Which was one of my first mistakes.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cam screw is kinda like a wheel bearing.

Snug it...back it off a 1/8th to 1/4 turn and stake it in place.

Looking for more info in regards to this......it is a known problem in feed issues if too tight.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as headspace....In my situation...It would consistantly fire 5 and stall.

Backed it off 2 clicks and has been perfect since.

I only run SA ammo as I have a bunch of it. It just keeps it simple for my use.

I see no mention of what ammo you are useing..Reloads/mixed batch/mil spec /soft point?

Overall length of ammo can cause fits....Which was one of my first mistakes.
Great info. Running surplus German 308, just a hair short, maybe 1mm so that it doesn't fit super tight on the feed tray.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
Great info. Running surplus German 308, just a hair short, maybe 1mm so that it doesn't fit super tight on the feed tray.
That may be a big part of your problem. Short ammo will wreak havoc on these, and it doesn't take much. The round has to slide just forward a hair and the extractor claw will miss it. But my impression was more that the round was not getting pulled into the center of the feedway. If that's the problem, I would look at swapping the feed pawl in the top cover, maybe the feed lever too. A spare top cover is always good.

Another thing. I don't know this German ammo you are using. But if it is light powered by any chance, that could be a problem. These need to cycle with enough strength to create a fair amount of "belt lift." That is worth looking at, though maybe a long shot. If NATO spec, it should be fine. A light charge or lighter projectile could make a difference, that's all.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
But my impression was more that the round was not getting pulled into the center of the feedway. If that's the problem, I would look at swapping the feed pawl in the top cover, maybe the feed lever too. A spare top cover is always good.
This is exactly the case!

·
Registered
38 Posts
You mentioned using the correct .308 parts, etc. Was this originally a 30-06 gun by chance? And are you using 30-06 links instead of .308 links? The spacing is different, and will give you many of the characteristics you're talking about. The spacing is wider on .308.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You mentioned using the correct .308 parts, etc. Was this originally a 30-06 gun by chance? And are you using 30-06 links instead of .308 links? The spacing is different, and will give you many of the characteristics you're talking about. The spacing is wider on .308.
Thank you for the input. All parts are 762, it is a DLO gun and all the correct parts including the 762 links were utilized. I didn't get it running that day. But I think I know what I did. I now believe the original non feeding issue was due to a way too stiff belt pawl spring. I replaced it with mine (my 1919 I just built runs like a top). The night prior I went through the gun set head space etc. While checking the weapon over I noticed the cam screw was really loose. I tightened it down tight but I didn't back t out a 1/4 turn. Doing so I solved one problem (belt holding pawl spring) and caused another, too tight cam screw. In the end it still wouldn't feed.

Went home back to NC and started to play with my 1919 to make it not function. I tightened the cam screw to 60 lbs set via a torque wrench. I could barely get the bolt to lock up none the less feed any rounds. After loosening the cam screw, tightening hand tight and loosening back a 1/4 turn, She feeds great again. Going to the range Sat, should be GTG.

Thank you for all the tips gents.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How's it running now? Did you figure it out?

ANdy
His gun is in Cali I'm in NC. Recently had the same problem with mine. Solved by slightly stretching the belt feed pawl spring, it was too loose and not holding the rounds from slipping back toward the left, this caused mine to failure to feed. His problem is either that or a too tight cam screw.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts