1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The past two times I've taken my semi out I have had a problem with the plunger falling out of place and binding the gun up on the first round.

This gun used to run flawlessly, belt after belt.

Any ideas as to what may be causing this condition? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
380 Posts
plunger problem

I have the same problem. behind the accelerator is a little button that
fits in a hole in the lock frame. this may have come out and you may
have not noticed it. if there is a hole there then it came out. my plunger
flew out but not the spring. that little steel button is there for a reason.
i am no expert but i think this is what happened. PLEASE let me know if
that is what the problem was because i am always interested in helping out a
fellow shooter. thank you

john

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
That little button is the accelerator stop and can be seen in the photo. When the right side of the lockframe is milled down for semi use the rivet part of the stop is significantly shortened and sometimes will loosen up. Look closely at the photo and you can see the darker rivet head in the right side rail. Whover mills the internals should have put a small spot weld or braze just to the rear of the stop on the inside to keep it from coming out.

If it has come out then the accelerator is moving too far rearward and causing the plunger to jump from the slot in the left side rail.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
John,
Thanks for the input, but no my accelerator stop(that little button) is welded in and still presently attached to the lockframe. That did fall out before and I took a mig welder to it around the hole and an additional weld at about the 4 oclock position to add strength to it. The gun ran just fine afterwards so I don't think it has anything to do with my current problem.

I changed out my breech lock cam on the bottom plate and also the breech lock itself which had an additional angle ground on it by someone at some point in time.

I'm going to mic the slot on a new lockframe and see how much mine is worn. If it is much larger, I guess I'll weld it up and re mill the slot to spec.

I'm also going to change my operating spring as the one in it now seems just a bit weak for my liking.

Will keep you posted, as I won't be getting to the range until next week...the cops have taken over the range for this week.

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
This is probably a dumb comment and I'm sure it doesn't apply here, but one person I know kept accidentally getting the front end of the plunger under the rear tang on the barrel extension instead of saddled on the pin when he pushed the two parts together to lock them up. On the first round it looked like the plunger hopped out of the slot when in fact it was not on the barrel extension properly.

Just a thot for those that might be unaware.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
loboslanding said:
This is probably a dumb comment and I'm sure it doesn't apply here, but one person I know kept accidentally getting the front end of the plunger under the rear tang on the barrel extension instead of saddled on the pin when he pushed the two parts together to lock them up. On the first round it looked like the plunger hopped out of the slot when in fact it was not on the barrel extension properly.

Just a thot for those that might be unaware.
No help is refused lobo, I am usually extra careful when assembling the gun, and aware of the tang going into that recess in the plunger, but I don't discount that I could have made a mistake at some point and done it wrong. If the problem persists, I'll change out the entire lockframe and see if there is a different result.

I don't think the gun would cock and dry fire if it were assembled in this fassion would it?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts