1919 A4 Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a 1914 Colt Commercial Digger in 303 that has the exact same rear sight leaf. It has been on the gun since new (my guess) as the condition of the gun and sight match perfectly.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,235 Posts
I have a 1914 Colt Commercial Digger in 303 that has the exact same rear sight leaf. It has been on the gun since new (my guess) as the condition of the gun and sight match perfectly.
If you get a chance, would you mind posting a high resolution picture of that Digger rear sight? I have been trying to nail down the graduation specs for the different models these were on. I do have the Colt 1915 Vickers down now, having documented a couple of examples. But I am looking for that on both the Digger and the Benet Mercie. People ask me occasionally, and I would like to actually know what I am talking about! :confused:

·
Premium Member
5,777 Posts
You actually want to know what you are talking about? That's just crazy talk lol I will be at Dolf's in a couple weeks so I will take a picture of the rear sight on his Benet Mercie and email it to you.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
You actually want to know what you are talking about? That's just crazy talk lol I will be at Dolf's in a couple weeks so I will take a picture of the rear sight on his Benet Mercie and email it to you.
When you are at Dolf's let me know and we all can get together. We had an impromptu shoot with Dolf last Sunday at Rosenfield's. There was more BSing than shooting. A good time was had by all.

One of the other attendees was our buddy Richard. He is the shooter in the below picture and works at Dell in international sales. His clients go bonkers with this picture.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
First is single notch fixed sight and a single notch, non-windage elevator rear sight on standard, issue US Colt and Marlin diggers Also extensively used on commercial Colt BMGs.
Second two are the standard rear sights on both makes, Colt and Springfield, of the 1909 Bemet-Mercie auto rifles. Colt pictured.
The Colt 1915 Vickers uses the same set up with the windage adjustment forward rather than at the back as on the BMGs. The windage screw on this sight has fine threads and the screw is not cylindrical but has a waist so is much thinner in the middle. The BMG sights use a coarse threaded traverse screw that is cylindrical. No other MG uses this sight arrangement and design that I have encountered. FWIW
Digger rear sight-0.jpg Benet-Mercie rear sight Colt-0.jpg Benet-Mercie rear sight Colt-1.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,777 Posts
When you are at Dolf's let me know and we all can get together. We had an impromptu shoot with Dolf last Sunday at Rosenfield's. There was more BSing than shooting. A good time was had by all.

One of the other attendees was our buddy Richard. He is the shooter in the below picture and works at Dell in international sales. His clients go bonkers with this picture.
I will be there the Sunday after Thanksgiving and spoke to him an hour ago. He has a tough itinerary as always lol but maybe after the SAR we can meet at his house? I look forward to finally meeting.

·
Registered
60 Posts

Here are some pics of the sight on my gun. Been a slow process in making it look good again. If I could find a compete sight assembly I’d be happy.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,235 Posts
That’s deep rooted “patina”
About like my one non-molested Remington 1917 sight. Non-molested except for that deep rooted patina, that is.

·
Premium Member
5,777 Posts
It certainly has that "Been there, done that look" and maybe rode hard and put away wet but they are ALL projects, some are just tougher than others.

Reactions: GBYENKO
21 - 32 of 32 Posts