1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents, I just picked this gun up for an absurdly low price. I shot it yesterday and the gun runs like a champ. Other than filing down the front sight, I didnt have to make any other modifications. So let me show some pics and ask a ton of questions.
For starters, an overall view: (dont worry, Ive already replaced those grips for a set of checkered walnut)

The front sight was STUPID tall, and I assume someone was running a target rear setup at one point. I did some mill work with my drill press and a end mill bit to make it a little more shootable. I shaved a little too much off, but this will probably just let me keep a 6 o'clock sight picture now.

The biggest flaw is the front of the slide. I cannot figure out for the life of me WHY someone would have hacked, filed or whatever. Again, Im thinking it had something to do with the front sight install.

Heres a pic of the serial number I traced to 1915, and the RIA rebuild stamp along with the inspectors mark. Notice the flaming bomb next to the grip.

The BBL bushing. (Ive got a question about that too.)

The only other markings I found were a HR on the top of the frame just in front of the disconnector. Mainspring housing is plain, not checkered. BBL is marked with a P on one side and a F on the other. The BBL link pin is loose and falls out if you shake it. The only marking behind the firing pin plate is a 'X'.

QUESTIONS FOR THE EXPERTS

1) is this the finish from the RIA rebuild or was it commercially applied later? It feels like a black parkerizing.
2) Is the BBL bushing stock? I havnt looked at many others but I dont remember seeing that step inside it.
3) Should I peen the bbl link pin? Im afraid Im going to drop it one day when Im field stripping and loose it, but I dont want to de-value the WWII replacement bbl
4) Where did the flaming bomb come from? I read that they were only on Ithaca guns and some A1's?

You guys have any other comments or questions?

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nothing? No 1911 experts here?

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Scott I'm not an expert - the flaming bomb is a provisional inspectors mark
and the predecessor to the crossed cannons. I don't know much about them but my 1918 Colt has the S17 proof mark. Also just checked my USGI bushing and has the step.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Also not an expert. Flat mainspring housing, wide spur hammer, crisp markings with black finish like late WWI. Buy a replacement sight, some original wooden grips($$$) and stare at your kick-ass pistol you just got for cheap. J

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im really happy with it. Just wish the front of the slide wasnt all boogered up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts