1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK my gun is out for now. 1917a1, I had bought a 1928 AA sites kit. I only looked at the site kit one time and think I remember the top latch site block of a 1917a1 top latch knob gets removed somehow and the 1928 AA site block somehow reattaches in its place. I just can't remember how. Secondly I remember the 1928 AA site block had a solid flat surface to it.
First please confirm this and the method the site block is supposed to be removed and reattached.

On the refinish, I had the 1928 AA site block on the latch but it become loose and it was nicely welded on. There was issues with the gun/ alignment and once it finally transferred I had sent it out again for a rebuild.

While its out I wanted to find a spare AA site block as they are not easy to come by without buying a whole AA site kit. I also wanted a spare 1917a1 top latch to put it on as well. I found one, but it was attached to a 1917a1 top cover latch already and had to buy the latch with it. Sounded perfect right? Well thats until it came and found the latch spring missing. Hahahaha I had a good laugh though.

It looks like the spring off a spare 1919 latch would be a direct fit.

Anyway it looks like the AA site block here that came is attached from underneath the spring, ground and peened over. Second there is a round cavity with a cross pin inside which I don't remember on my base that came with the 1928 site kit. I thought it was flat on top.

Maybe its my memory or this is a different style of top latch and sight base I have. Thank you for the help, I hope the pictures load. Tool Hardware accessory

·
Watercooled Addict
2,148 Posts
The latch pictured is for a 1928 colt. It will interchange with the 1917 latch. The site base with the dovetail slips over the knurled round post that is already on 1917 and 1928 latch and is pinned on with the pin you can dee looking down from above. You could remove it and put it on a 1917 cover but I dont get why. They are the same. Just put that cover on your gun if you wish to use the 28 aa sights, with it.
Yes the spring should fit fine as well.
The dovetailed piece in your picture is only for 28 style guns. The 17 did not use that type of aa sight so there is no other version of this piece made for the 17 that i am aware of. The rear sight on the 17 has an aperture to use in conjunction with a aa sight that clamps to the front of the waterjacket on the 17. The 28 uses a different setup all together.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
The 17 did not use that type of aa sight so there is no other version of this piece made for the 17 that i am aware of. The rear sight on the 17 has an aperture to use in conjunction with a aa sight that clamps to the front of the waterjacket on the 17.

·
Watercooled Addict
2,148 Posts
Yup, thats the 17. Thanks Dan. Its like the one on the lewis gun.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much for confirming exactly what I wanted to know in depth. I purchased the AA sites long ago more or less just to have fun with them and they do make the steamer look pretty cool. I'm not trying for an accurate historical representation though nor is it a C&R. Mine is a lowly Frankenstein which also gives me cart le blank to do anything to it and shoot the hell out of it too. Its a plate gun, Izzy parts kit, all steel repro economy jacket, for starters. Now I would love to have a beauty like yours but then the fear of taking it out to bang on it would freak me out I just couldn't stand the guilt. Thanks again for the help, and love your 1928.

About six years ago I almost bought that 1917 front site Dan for 1000. Now they are at least 1700. but even more unobtaium now. I don't think I have seen one come up for sale in at least 5 years. I think they fold down but I've alway wondered if you can still see the front site with the 1917 folded in front of it or does it have to come off??? Thanks
Aaron

The latch pictured is for a 1928 colt. It will interchange with the 1917 latch. The site base with the dovetail slips over the knurled round post that is already on 1917 and 1928 latch and is pinned on with the pin you can dee looking down from above. You could remove it and put it on a 1917 cover but I dont get why. They are the same. Just put that cover on your gun if you wish to use the 28 aa sights, with it.
Yes the spring should fit fine as well.
The dovetailed piece in your picture is only for 28 style guns. The 17 did not use that type of aa sight so there is no other version of this piece made for the 17 that i am aware of. The rear sight on the 17 has an aperture to use in conjunction with a aa sight that clamps to the front of the waterjacket on the 17. The 28 uses a different setup all together.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
... I think they fold down but I've alway wondered if you can still see the front site with the 1917 folded in front of it or does it have to come off??? ...
The sight folds rearward and rests flat on the water jacket. When folded the front sight is plainly visible.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Yup, thats the 17. Thanks Dan. Its like the one on the lewis gun.
Most of WWI MGs used the same front AA sight picture with a different mounting arrangement. The front AA sight in the picture is the tench front sight. These were used in the front lines thus the tench name. A different set of AA sights were used in the rear area echelon for "high" flying bombers. I believe they were called the Peycru Rear Area AA sights. Even the 1918 BAR had one of those trench front AA sights and with a 40 round magazine and gun mount.

--fjruple

Photograph Tree Snapshot Woody plant Plant

Here's a illustration of the Peycru Rear AA sights. I under both sights were obsolete as the speed and armor protection of aircraft greatly increased in the early 30's. I believe the tench sight for the 1917 Browning was last used by the Coastal Artillery as battery AA protection until the Coastal Artillery regiments were broken up in 1944 when it became apparent the threat of foreign invasion was not going to happen.

--fjruple

White Text Line Line art Parallel

Looks overly complicated for a high flying fast moving aircraft.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts