1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The distinguished Service with Oak leaf cluster, its the ribbon in upper right of the picture, tried looking it up but no love there, cannot find one that matches. Cannot find a match. Freinds father served with the 1st ID in 1965. Was a combat medic, was badly wounded by mortar fire in an operation at a rubber plantation. His buddies thought he was dead and bagged him. He woke up in the bag, son still has his KIA toe tag. 4 hunks shrapnel to chest.

I researched trying to find the operations he was on for the family. They are looking to donate his uniform to a Vietnam memorial and is trying to put his uniform back together but wants to keep his original medals and ribbons.

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you!

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Here's a link to more info on the NJ DSM as well as the NJ Vietnam Service:

http://www.nj.gov/military/veterans/awards/distinguished_service/
http://www.nj.gov/military/veterans/awards/vietnam_service/

Note however the order of precedence on the ribbons is incorrect. All state awards follow US awards and foreign awards. Here's the correct order:

Purple Heart
Army Good Conduct
Vietnam Service ** He probably rates some battle stars on this award
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal (This could rank in front of or behind the VSM depending on when it was awarded) You are missing this medal.
National Defense
RVN Gallantry Cross
RVN Campaign Medal
NJ Distinguished Service
NJ Vietnam Service

I don't know what the silver medal is on the long VSM ribbon but it's an unofficial award and should not have been issued on that ribbon as all campaign ribbons are restricted to the official award only, but it is what it is.

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Medalguy. I knew my freind had them cocked up but had not taken the time to sort it out. I did see that the AFEM was upside down but that is a common mistake with the AFEM

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
You're right about it being upside down. I totally missed that. :eek:

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was a common and easy gig to catch someone at an NCO formal so you could charge them with beer crimes.:lol: BEERMEISTER what do assess as his punishment!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts