1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks--

I just picked up a "MG" water canteen that was listed on Ebay as WWI antique. The water canteen had a tag on it identifying it as a WWI USMC MG water canteen. The canteen was listed "buy it now" for $65.00 plus shipping. I could not hit the "Buy It Now" button quick enough seeing some of the current prices on the canteen.

The canteen has some rust on it and the carrying strap is a little worn. The cream colored paint on the inside is flaking off and the outside has some surface rust.

On the canteen is a hand painted picture of a pine tree and an outline of the State of Kentucky with KY in it. The Canteen also has the letters R.S and K.S. painted on the canteen. In doing a little research, I discovered that the 91st Division used the pine tree as a divisional patch. One would assume that the canteen was used by one of the MG battalions or company of the 91st Division. Looking at the history of the WWI 91st Division most the personnel were from California, Oregon, Washington and Idaho with some from Alaska. Looking at the personnel roster of several of the MG battalions of the 91st Division I did note several enlistments from Tennessee, Ohio and Kentucky. That's of course I am assuming the canteen was used in the MG battalions.

Its interesting to note that the 91st Division's MG Battalions used British Vickers guns as the basic MG. The basic history noted the MG battalions were given familiarization fire on five Browning MGs before being deployed to the front. "Probably as a promise that these are coming to you shortly." LOL

I am looking to restore the canteen does any one has any suggestions? I have attached several pictures for your enjoyment.

--fjruple

Water Canteen 1.jpg

Water Canteen.jpg

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Why restore it? You have some history there with the original paint!
It won't increase the value any by a fresh paint job. Of course the is only my humble opinion.
CaptMax

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
It won't increase the value any by a fresh paint job. Of course the is only my humble opinion.
CaptMax

I.with the Capt. here let it be, but then again its not mine.

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
...leave it alone...!!!

Glad you got this one...I missed it completely. I'd leave it as-is,just for historical perspective. If you want one that is not marked,LMK...I'll trade you one for that one. I have about 9-or-10 of these canteens and none is as well marked as that one. I'm trying to get one for every gun cart in a Co...12-carts. Putting together 12-carts from scratch to go along with the 14-carts I have already for a complete 1917 Machine Gun Co....12-gun carts,12-ammo carts and 2-spare gun carts.

·
Registered
836 Posts
CaptMax
I've been saying the same thing about your ferret resto!:rofl::rofl: that's a total ball busting, btw.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Saw this canteen in Len's display last weekend at Portland, In. Very nice can, maybe next time I can see one of these first on ebay!:jedicrying:

Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts