1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to shoot my semi-auto M1919 for the first time and it made it through a dozen or so rounds before it stripped a casing and left it in the barrel. I’m assuming I’ll need to order a new barrel but:

1. how does this happen/how can I prevent this in the future?

2. is there a way to get the casing out of the barrel?

also, just set up this account but I’ve been using this forum for about a year to get ideas and build the gun out. Y’all are a great community; thanks ahead of time for any help you can provide!

-Evan

Attachments

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
My first thing would have been to check the first case fired for any abnormaladies. No matter what gun you shoot,you should always check the first fired case to determine anything not correct. Yes...get a ruptured case extractor. Just might check if the barrel is a .308 bbl. There have been some errors regarding kits with a 30/06 bbl.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
The barrel should be fine, you just need to use a case extractor as mentioned above. Check your head space

·
Registered
307 Posts
If you don’t have a case extractor, EZOuts work great. The tool to remove bolts, whose head break off. Common tool sold at hardware stores...
Also I have run brass or aluminum rods from the mouth of the barrel and caught the edge of the stuck casing then tapped out with a hammer on the rod. FYI 1/4” diameter rod .... also available at most hardware stores ... though a little expensive.
Last trick is to tap another spent casing’s neck in the broken off cartridge ... tap lightly to mate them the twist and pull with a channel lock...
good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
A fine thread tap....will work......it don't need much of a bite.

I got lucky on a 357 winchester useing a SS round wire brush.

Find one that you can barely shove in the broken end of shell....the bristles will get a bite on the inside of case.

Then you gotta pull hard or run a rod from muzzle end and drive it out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I’ve seen this video before; when I headspace using this method, I cannot get the trigger to act properly; I can squeeze it but it doesn’t act on the firing pin. I found that backing the barrel out more allows the trigger to work

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Welcome to our passion. Ignore all of the above suggestion. You are correct that you need another barrel. For safe disposal send the 308 barrel to me. 😂 Ok, now for a couple quick ideas try a very stiff wire bore brush. Another is carefully put exposy on another case, allow it to set, and tap out with a cleaning rod. Long run you will need broken shell extractors in the calibers of: 30-06, 308, 8X57, and 762X54R.

·
Premium Member
6,365 Posts
I have plenty of 30.06 broken shell extractors if you need one they are only 5.00 and worth having in the range box.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Russ, Wont the 30.06 also pull the 7.62x51 since the neck sizes are the same? I’ve never used one, but I’ve got one. Isn’t the idea that it pass through the neck and expand enough to grab the front of the mouth of the casing to pull it out?

·
Premium Member
6,365 Posts
Yes they should Andy although I have an izzy 308 in the range box but have honestly never needed either of them probably because I have them lol

1 - 20 of 32 Posts