1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The broadest range of information is usually available from the users of this board......... Wifes school chum son died. Left a nice 1965 Chrysler (big car) but no ignition switch key. No local scrapper has nothing this old anymore. Have taken the ignition switch to several 'locksmiths' (????) who tried master keys in it to no avail. I need an ignition switch w/key to get this thing out of my yard. Any help????????

·
Registered
127 Posts
As a retired locksmith I am suprised you are having trouble geting a key.
Try the website;
clearstar.com.
This is a website for locksmiths but there is a form where the general public can ask questions. Post your question there. Also state where you live. You should get some help.
This is also a good place to ask any lock or safe questions.
Good luck.
LWC

·
Registered
187 Posts
They are quite easy to hotwire: add a wire to get power to the ignition and then power to the solenoid. no keys required.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jj

Will try the site ............. As to hot wire, this is OK for me but the woman owner will still be in trouble. Although I want this car gone, I am uncomfortable not getting it done correctly. She intends to use the car.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Several years ago the key lock cylinder went out in my 86 jeep. Went to Napa got a new lock cylinder which comes with its own keys. This was not an OEM part but it got the job done.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I had an old car with a busted ignition key cylinder once. Couldn't find a new part and they wanted an ungodly price for a new one.

I added a toggle switch for the ignition and a push button for the starter.

You have to remember to turn off the ignition switch or it will drain your battery. I used one that illuminated when it is on.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Dunno if this will help but the NAPA part number is KS6482 for the key and tumbler set. Cant hurt to call them and ask if they can get it. I'n the meantime , I'd hotwire it. But that may just be a result of my misspent youth.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
heckinohio said:
The broadest range of information is usually available from the users of this board......... Wifes school chum son died. Left a nice 1965 Chrysler (big car) but no ignition switch key. No local scrapper has nothing this old anymore. Have taken the ignition switch to several 'locksmiths' (????) who tried master keys in it to no avail. I need an ignition switch w/key to get this thing out of my yard. Any help????????
Have you tried your local Chrysler dealership or auto parts store? Ours around here are all tied to other networks and are able to locate even some rare parts. The dealer itself should be able to find or locate NOS.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Does the Chrysler have a locking glove box? If so any decent locksmith can use it for figuring out the ignition key.They should be close. If you have the ignition cylinder out of the car it's even easier to make a key once you get a blank that fits it. You could even remove the top plate that holds in the pins and springs and dump them out of the cylinder, reinstall it and use a uncut blank or screwdriver to turn it.
Better yet, find a real locksmith, not just some guy that copys keys in a hardware store.
Sometimes a good locksmith is hard to find, just like a real watchmaker. Some guys can fix a watch others can MAKE them.
Just my .o2.

·
Registered
259 Posts
What model is it? I have some contacts due to me owning a 1960 2dr Windsor . I may be able to find you the correct item. These old Chryslers can be hard to find parts due to the fact that they are not as popular as the other brands.

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
I just sold a '63 Valiant and if you go to NAPA you can get a switch with keys that will work in the same hole in the dash. Or go to moparts.com and those boys can tell you anything you want to know about finding a key.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
dd

Our local dealers parts man just snickered............ This is a 4000 population town. I realize computers are world wide and there is an assist somewhere but I havnt gotten it yet. The couple I tried from the lock smith site suggested above did not respond...........This is a 1965 Chrysler New Yorker. Glove box locks, and the supposed ingn. key works it and the door, but not the ingition. If this was a Ply. or Dodge, would be much easier.........Will call local NAPA again w/number you provided. If this is a blank, I still need a code to cut it to.............

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you cant find a locksmith to impression a single sided chrysler ign key you must not have any locksmiths where you are from. I could do that in my sleep but i live in NC.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
xx

Re; locksmiths. Apparently this local one is a 'parts replacer'. I may have solved the problem, local NAPA is getting me a new lock/tumbler/key assembly in the morning.............

1 - 17 of 17 Posts