1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Can you say, "sold by Montgomery Ward"

This is a Mossberg model 40 sold by Monkey Ward during the great depression.
In 60% condition worth about $60.
If you enjoy shooting then keep it and don't put additional $$ into it.
When you get ready to dispose of it; wait for one of the "do-gooders" buy-back programs and get whatever they are offerring.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
I have a lot of old Sears, Monkey Ward, Stevens etc. .22s that you lead us to believe is "junk". When I was a kid I had a thousand dollars worth of fun out of one of them "$60 rifles. I don't mean to be disrespectful to RockOn but someone liked you enough to give it to ya so when you are done I hope you find some young guy or gal who needs to learn the basics and with such a gift they will hopefully develop skill and respect for firearms and the future will be a little brighter for our hobby. Hotchkiss

·
Registered
86 Posts
My First Rifle

I agree with Hotchkissmtrifle. When I turned 13 (a long time ago:eek: ), my first rifle was one of the "worthless" Montgomery Wards Rifles. It would fire shorts, long, and long rifle. I spent a lot of time in the field with it, and I learned gun safety with it. The leasons that I learned with the rifle, I still practise today. I still have that rifle, and it might be the most worthless rifle in my collection, but it is the most valuable (in memories) rifle that I own. I plan on giving it to one my grandkids in the years to come. I dont have any grandkids right now, so I am going to continue on making new memories with it for now.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Magic Number

Boy that pic brings back some memorys.

That rifle looks similar to a Stevens Mod 66 that my Granddad bought when my Dad was 13 ( he'll be 86 this year). My Dad and his 6 brothers used it, it ended up here on the farm when I was a kid. My Grandparents gave it to me when I was 13 and my brother and I used it. When I got a bit older I found a replacement. They're Buckhorn Mod. 66 ( used of coure) for about $20. I then gave the first one back to my Dad. So its still around. One of those things you figure you'll be condemed to Hell if you ever part with it.

Its got a place of Honor next to His Win Mod 97:D . I believe that one was made before my Dad was born. Oh Ya, I shot my first Buck with that 97 when I was 13......Lou

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
My dad gave me one of those years ago too - a Stevens that is - clip fed 5 shot. My nephew has it now and uses it religiously for squirrels and such. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Guys still looking for any info on a stock or any leads. my boy will be 5 this comming year and what to clean it up. kinda dad and son thing. Thanks

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Also check some of the gun shows there is always a chance one of the fellows dealing in parts will have a stock and have it at a cheap price.

my first 22 was a Stevens Springfield bot action that I bought from a old lady who was a friend of my mom's I was 11 years old, it was a good gun to learn on, the 22 I had the most fun with was a semi-auto Stevens Springfield that was my dad's I had my own range in the basement of our house, with a 22 bullet trap, I could cut cards with that gun. one of the things I would so is set the card at an angle, I would fire 2 quick shots, the first hitting the edge of the card and the second going through the center of the card. I was a good shot at 12 or 13.
one of these years when the time is right I'll pass my bolt action on to a boy in our church with his parents consent and supervision, he's 8 years old now, I figure on talking to his dad and seeing if he wants it for when he turns 11 or 12.
My dad's old Semi-auto I still have, it has a very long barrel, and with standard velocity 22 LR you would swear it was suppressed! the action makes more noise than the report! That gun is a keeper, I have two stocks for it, the second I have cut down so my wife can shoot it.

Allen <><

·
5,467 Posts
Keepers

I would guess that almost everyone who has a firearm has a "keeper" ,our family's is a Savage Model 25 ( this one is marked J.Stevens) takedown 22 pump. It was given to my Father-in-Law in 1928 when he graduated from grade school. He spent the next 50 years shooting rabbits, rats at the city dump, yes, they let you shoot rats even though the dump was just on the edge of town, paper targets in the basement, you name it.

I have no idea how many rounds have gone through this handy, and accurate little gun, it was well cared for and still would rate "very good". My son, named for his Grandad has it now, not worth much in dollars, but it is priceless to us.

·
11,544 Posts
i'd say that your best bet is to just look for another cheap westernield at a gunshop or show and buy it. put the stock on your gun as to keep the integrity of your gun. keep the other for parts replacement... like they ever break.

a friend picked up a westerfiled for 75$ in a local normally way overpriced gun shop a couple months ago.

good luck.

mine is a single shot bolt winchester 22.

r

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
stock

I had found a stock on e-bay awhile back and wish i'd bid a little more on it now. It went cheap. I have checked e-bay and gun broker and no go as of now. Thanks guys for your help

1 - 12 of 12 Posts