1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a guy who's interested in getting a semi auto 1919a4, but he lives in MA. Normally, I believe this would be a simple two step process: you live in a state with an AWB/hi cap mag restrictions, therefore you're not legally able to own a semi belt fed; HOWEVER, he has a 07 FFL license (manufacture of firearms other than destructive devices). As such, he's saying he's exempt from the normal restrictions and can in fact own it, but out of curiosity I've been doing some reading and don't see where MA law says that's true. Can anyone help out here clearing this up?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Well, since this doesn't apply to you and it is merely an academic exercise, I'll take a stab. You mention MA law regarding hi-cap etc. Well, perhaps he can own the RIFLE, and use "low cap" belts? (that's the case here in CA). Further, a FEDERAL license such as 07FFL is a FEDERAL license and doesn't change STATE law. Here in CA, even FFL's have to get a CA AW or high cap permit issued by the STATE if they want to deal in such things. So, he may be right in the Federal context and wrong in the STATE context. You will need to look at the MA law and see whether there is an exemption for FFL's etc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help. I didn't realize there was such thing as a low cap belt which is interesting, but this guy is looking at getting links so I'm pretty sure that changes the situation. I'll check with him about if there's any MA law he needs to adhere to

·
Registered
443 Posts
Well, a "low cap" belt is just a section of belt with "x" number of rounds, OR less than whatever the limit in the state is linked together.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Like a cloth belt that only holds 10, right? I don't live in a state with magazine restrictions so this isn't something I've read up on, but until now I've been under the impression that belts came in a minimum of 50 rounds, and there's no way to restrict how many links are connected so they would be banned as well.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Well, you either just CUT the cloth belt after 10 rounds or just link 10 together. Links get more interesting as the law (at least here in CA) says you can't have any hi -cap feeding device (ie. mags or links) or even all the parts necessary to make a high cap feeding device. You only need 11 links (even if unjoined) to arguable constitute a high cap feeding device kit (which is also illegal in CA)

·
Registered
809 Posts
I don't know what the laws are in MA he would have to follow them even with a 07. I live in WA machine guns are illegal to own here. But there are exceptions in the law for law enforcement, military or 07 with SOT. So I personally can not own a machine gun in this state, but my business can. The federal license does not make it ok, the exception in the law for the license does. If that makes sense.
Greg

·
Registered
108 Posts
According to many states the federal license permits you to do things like possess and manufacture suppressors, machineguns and other NFA though they're not otherwise permitted in the state. Illinois was like this and some others. Some states require additional permits or state licenses too. I have no idea about mass but I do know a gent who was a type 10 FFL class 2 which allowed him to deal and manufacture DD's and explosives. He was just outside Boston and had a pretty good business in the MG's and DD's as well as fireworks and other stuff. There may be more to the Mass code than what you see and in many cases FFLs have to get a lawyer to dig into the real meat of the regs to determine what can and cannot be done.

Lastly, a bit of info on FFLs. They come in types from 01 to 10. The FFL does not have a class. A manufacturer of other than DD's is a type 7. A manufacturer of firearms including DD's is a type 10. Dealers in other than DD's are type 3's and dealers in DD's are type 9s.

The class thing refers only to the Special occupational Tax (SOT) which is paid by any FFL holder except C&R for the privilage of dealing in, manufacturing or importing NFA firearms. A class one is always an importer. A class 2 is always a manufacturer and a class 3 is always a dealer. There is no such thing as class 3 firearms.....they are title II or NFA. Class 3 is a dealer.

This may not seem too important but it helps when the BS meter is leaning into the red or when you're trying to find valid info for something. As far as I know a class 7 is a driving license in some states for chauffers or something. Nothing to do with FFLs.

Frank

·
Registered
247 Posts
There are plenty of browning owners i am sure in Mass. I have never heard of anyone being bothered at any range firing a semi auto browning with full belts. Most will not allow full auto and of course you must respect the range and others while shooting. ALLOT OF COMMON SENSE is a good thing. Also don't chew up the ranges target frames. While most of these laws are on the books no body bothers all of the guys shooting ar and ak rifles with 30 rd mags or drums. Law enforcement will use the law against you if you behave like an idiot and get complaints.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts