1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up this 1917a1 ammo can. This one has some unusual features. It has several holes in the front and a slot in the front. It all looks original and period. It looks like something extra may have bolted on to this.

Has anyone seen these modifications on one of these boxes? If so, I would appreciate any additional info I can get on it.

Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
We did a similar mod to a box like this when (before having a F/A 1917A1) we needed a place to hide the battery and circuit board for a propane fired 1917A1. Wiring went into the side of the gun under the topcover and the gas hoses went into the underneath of the gun. J

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
The box look like an ammunition box for the .22LR M1 Browning with the center insert removed. I have attached several pictures of one with insert but the box is in bad condition. I believe I found these pictures on this forum.

--fjruple

Box Trunk Baggage Suitcase Wood

Wood Hardwood Antique tool

Wood Hardwood Box Furniture Rectangle

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
...probably Brit...

Believe that the leather handle signifies an original WW1 Vickers wood ammo box. The Vickers box was made with a round cut-out under the handle and could be distinguished from the 30/06 box that had an oblong cut-out. American mfg's made both types,as the first arriving troops...both Army and Marines...were issued Vickers guns in .303. Later they were issued Vickers in 30/06 and required no further training. The main feature to look for to determine age is the leather carry handle. Leather for WW1...canvas for WW2. Same box...many from same mfg's in both wars.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow! Great info! Thank you! any ideas what one of these are worth in good complete condition?

Thanks again,

·
Registered
680 Posts
That definitely looks like a wwI era 1917 bmg box modified for 22 cal. All the browning boxes have the slots on the front to slide it on a tripod. They did away with the angle cut on the front around wwII because the 1918 tripod was not being used anymore. Most WWI era boxes have the leather handles but there were many made during wwII with leather also but they had a reenforcement rivit in the leather. The dovetail on the box is also much different than the early boxes. The vickers boxes were similar but were a bit longer and did not have the slots cut for the tripod and are not slant cut. Here is a pick of most of the different lid and handle configurations for the 1917 guns. As for value i would say that would be worth a lot to somone with an original conversion setup. Text Font Wood Antique tool

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
That definitely looks like a wwI era 1917 bmg box modified for 22 cal. All the browning boxes have the slots on the front to slide it on a tripod. They did away with the angle cut on the front around wwII because the 1918 tripod was not being used anymore. Most WWI era boxes have the leather handles but there were many made during wwII with leather also but they had a reenforcement rivit in the leather. The dovetail on the box is also much different than the early boxes. The vickers boxes were similar but were a bit longer and did not have the slots cut for the tripod and are not slant cut. Here is a pick of most of the different lid and handle configurations for the 1917 guns. As for value i would say that would be worth a lot to somone with an original conversion setup. View attachment 17130
Looks like the leather handle with rivets is a repair/replacement handle...probably done in-the-field. I have a Vickers box that is not beveled and may be for....?

·
Premium Member
6,939 Posts
Junking that sure likes like the early 22 cal converted ammo box for the dedicated 22 cal 1917A1 trainers now you just need to find the gun and the cloth belts to go with it :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi Junking,

Hope I'm not breaking any rules here but would love to know what your plans are for the .22 converted ammo box.
Will you please let me know?
Thank you,
Bill

1 - 10 of 10 Posts