1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a semi auto 1919A4 I built from a .308 Israeli kit. I'm at my wits end. The problem I have encountered is that it will not load the 6th round. doesn't matter the what the ammo, I checked the head spacing, timing, it's lubed. Rounds are checked to insure uniformity after being load in the NOS .308 links. I have taken some of the tension off the pawl spring, and still the same issue, always the 6th round fails to load. It is consistent, until if has to load that 6th round it works perfect. I have gone over it X times, I 'm not that knowledgeable on it so I'm using manuals. But not everything is in books. Any pointers and or help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Walt

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
I encountered this with my first 1919. Very similar situation.

I'd back off the barrel a click or 2 and see if that cures it. Worked on mine.

Are you firing these 5 shots rather quickly? I'm guessing so as did I . Things can tighten up a touch when they warm up.

You mention you checked Headspace & timing?

What method of headspaceing are you using & Timing should be for FA guns only. What timing proceedure are you doing?

What Ammo are you using?????

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Check that if you are using a GI headspace spacing that it is positively engaging the headspace notches on the barrel. Had one that I (or a freind) must have bent. I would hreadspace, fire about 5 rounds then nothing but problems. I would reheadspace, find it was not still in headspace, then I realized because the spring was not properly engaging the barrel was walking headspace while firing it. Also verify you are using the correct headspacing techniques. I have found a number of times people were confused by process and while it seems correct it may not be. I sure was when I recieved my first.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Obviously there's something wrong with the sixth round. Throw it away! :D

Carry On!
Gary
><>

·
Registered
7,893 Posts
Yeah I guess most people don't think about these guns heating up and expanding as they shoot more cartridges. Rather unique that it's consistently on the 6th round that it get's to that point of head space issue, but it is totally within possibility. :).

·
Premium Member
6,952 Posts
Once you get it dialed in mark the barrel and barrel extension with a small dot of paint from a paint pen and then it will be easy to tell if it moves out of headspace while shooting.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Once you get it dialed in mark the barrel and barrel extension with a small dot of paint from a paint pen and then it will be easy to tell if it moves out of headspace while shooting.
Bingo! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I used a center punch for mine. SO much faster.
Definitely sounds like a heat issue.
I also rounded/pointed the tip of the spring so it had much less chance of getting away.

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
For a reenactors gun I was working on I used center punch to mark headspace....then painted the punch mark recess Ordnance yellow. Problem was the gun was in too many hands of people who were only partially proficient, then being turned over to guys nonproficient to run it. I wanted to remove as much fudge factor as I could.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well verified, that the barrel locks tight doesn't "walk" spring is ok, head spaced using 3 different methods, GI headspace gauge, Forster gauges, "youtube" headspace. All allowing one to two clicks for heat expansion ( I can hold on to the barrel bare handed after 5 shot, but.....). Threw away every sixth round in the ammo can ;-). Gave it direct orders in a command voice and tone. Still no joy. In some variation it wouldn't even fire 5 rounds. It is again loading, firing, extracting and ejecting the fifth round, but will not load the sixth. Put it down for the weekend, still have another 6 in the pipeline, back at it on Monday. Thanks for your help on this.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Alrighty then back to the start.
Never saw the "youtube" thing.
Let's do it the old fashioned way.

Make sure the gun is empty and safe.

Leave the top cover open.

Looking at the gun from rear to front, turn the barrel Counter Clockwise (closing the headspace) about six clicks.
Cycle the bolt. If it still goes into battery, turn it CCW another couple clicks Until it no longer goes into battery.

When it no longer goes all the way into battery, start turning it Clockwise one click at a time cycling the bolt each time until it just goes into battery.

After it goes into battery, turn the barrel two to three more clicks.

If after doing all that and it still exhibits the original problem at five or six rounds, try opening it one more click. Mine runs best at three or four clicks out from battery. (Allied Armament gun) .308

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Alrighty then back to the start.
Never saw the "youtube" thing.
Let's do it the old fashioned way.

Make sure the gun is empty and safe.

Leave the top cover open.

Looking at the gun from rear to front, turn the barrel Counter Clockwise (closing the headspace) about six clicks.
Cycle the bolt. If it still goes into battery, turn it CCW another couple clicks Until it no longer goes into battery.

When it no longer goes all the way into battery, start turning it Clockwise one click at a time cycling the bolt each time until it just goes into battery.

After it goes into battery, turn the barrel two to three more clicks.

If after doing all that and it still exhibits the original problem at five or six rounds, try opening it one more click. Mine runs best at three or four clicks out from battery. (Allied Armament gun) .308

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It would help to know what ammo your useing?

How is your gun mounted....AA tripod/ground mount?

How long of a belt are you feeding & from a can on a hanger or ?

How are you feeding links as Frog addressed....single loop first or Double?

I'm guessing if you follow directions above.....Rugmans...You will succeed...My AA 1919 runs @ the same specs as above with South African ammo.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts