1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now here's a funky one. Last August I ordered an Hensoldt Z-24 scope from eGhey. I assumed it was the usual German G3 surplus Z-24 scope w/G3 mount, scope box, etc. What I did not notice was that the seller was in Germany and the scope would take a couple weeks to arrive. No problem, I'm in no rush. I intended to remove the scope from the G3 mount and mount it to one of my SIG 551's using a SIG/Manuhrin mount I got from Chile. But that's another story. Anyway, the scope never arrived. So, I sent the seller a message requesting a tracking number to see what happened. The seller apologized for a miscommunication issue on their side and said they would re-send the scope. After another six plus weeks, the scope finally arrived last Thursday. It appeared to be in mint condition and I just put it aside until I was ready to re-mount it for my 551.

Today I pulled the scope from its box and took a closer look at it. What should I see but a radioactive warning sticker on the bottom of the scope tube:

So now I look through the reticle and it sure does look funky:

Then I go back to the original eGhey ad and look it over closely. There was no mention about what I'm seeing. But I now notice another difference in one of the ad's pictures:

Do you see it? Where the Hensoldt logo appears on the scope tube should be the location of the reticle illuminator socket. Ain't that interesting?

Doing more inter-web investigating, I discover that this scope was used by the US military "Blitz Scope Project" and is very rare. By any chance does anyone know where I can get some information and/or documentation for a Z-24 Blitz scope?

Oh, here is how I intended to mount the scope on a SIG 551 using a SIG/Manuhrin scope mount:

(notice the reticle illuminator socket)

(everything packed up nicely in a Meili Safety Case)

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very cool Dan. How's Pa and winter doing for ya?
Hi Sam; I'm freezing my a$$ off and it's still mild for weather here. I'll be inside as long as snow is on the ground. I spoke with Keith Allison a few days ago. His mom is not doing too well. So sad. What's new in Houston?

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Huh. I had one of those and sold it a few months ago. Same case, caps, cleaning kit and G3 mount as the other Z-24s I've owned. Didn't think much about it, I figured it was just a natural progression for Hensoldt to get rid of that stupid illuminator (which either broke, fell off, or went dead, and is impossible to replace) and replace it with tritium like the rest of the optics world.

Nice SIG 551

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
The Blitz scopes are rare, and have a following. I remember years ago we had a thread on them on FAL FILES but a quick search turned up nothing. IIRC they were also a topic on Arfcom, maybe under the Retro forum. Aside from the nifty sticker there’s something else interesting about them, but I can’t recall what. Have you tried a search of the innernet?

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I see that GSI and, I'm sure, the DOD had manuals for this scope. Does anyone know where I can find a download of any of these manuals?

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Talked with Keith as well. Nothing new here, just the usual pain and suffering. I did get 4 SIG 551 mags yesterday to add to the stockpile.
When Beto gets into office, he'll be coming after you. It's 39 degrees outside and I'm sitting inside.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
How bad do you want that manual @MG34_Dan ?

Here's one, but you have to buy the scope to get it. :giggle:

Wanted to mention that the acronym is BLITS which might be a better search:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?99716-Hensoldt-Blits-Scope-complete-w-Extras

US Army BLITS Scope

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, that thing has been listed for a while. Seller is a little optimistic on the value.
Did you see the pictures of the manual in the M4Carbie.net link? That looks like a really cool manual!
I saw that manual. Somebody must have had it scanned and posted somewhere online. There also has to be a US DOD TM and/or FM manual out there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts