1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked this question on another forum in response to something Kali said and am moving it over to here where it's more appropriate.

"Hey Kali, someone posted the other day that if you owned a high capacity magazine before the ban that you could still own and use it in Kali...is that correct? If it is and say you owned an MG42 drum or one of those IMA cans that attaches directly to the gun (just like a high cap mag), would that be legal to shoot a 250 round belt from??

Why would it make a legal difference whether it's a spring loaded plunger that pushes rounds from a magazine or a belt that pulls rounds from a magazine?

Does attaching an ammo can to a 1919 then make it a magazine?

Would the ammo can/magazine have to have been registered before the ban as a high capacity magazine?

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tim, if you like you can copy and paste your response from the other forum into your post above.

·
Registered
154 Posts
First I'm not a lawyer.....
That being said..

There has always been a grandfather clause on Kalifornia Pre-ban Hi cap mags.
If you owned ANY hi-cap magazine or feeding device over 10 rounds capacity IN STATE, BEFORE 1/1/2000, you are allowed to load and use them as normal. You don't need to cut up your belts or put in magazine limiters on Any KA Pre 2000 magazine. The ammo can is NOT a feeding device, but rather a holder for ammunition. A drum is an internal working magazine, thus isn't an ammo can. Assembling lose links to more than 10rnds is not allowed as that would be now a newly made hi-cap feeding device. Pre 1/1/2000 already linked ammo over 10rnds is OK, and don't need to be broken into 10rnd links. However, after use, those links can only be reloaded to 10rnd capacity.

After 1/1/2000 NO magazine or feeding device over 10 rounds may be Mfg., brought in, loaned or sold with in the state AFTER 1/1/2000.
Certain exceptions are such as a Hi-cap magazine permit, LE, or Military.
As far as a new civilian resident of KA, Hi-cap magazines/feeding devices must be left out of state.

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Arisaka, were the mags required to be registered? If not, how do you prove your mag is pre-ban when you're at the range?

·
Registered
148 Posts
As long as they are not date stamped or marked LEO only use,we should not have any problem. No we did not have to regester them.......

Roy

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hey Lobo,

Like Roy said...

Since MOST/no magazines have a serial number or date (some HK G3 mags were dated in the 70's)... there is/was no registering of preban magazines.
Thus there is no way to prove either way that your mag is a pre 2000 or not..
It's more or less like an "Honor system" and keeping "legal" is what we have to do in our hobby/sport.

But when it comes right down to it...it's just another nonsense law on the books and probably has never been actually enforced (I've never heard of a conviction for a magazine) IMO, it's merely a law to keep NEW Hicap mags from being sold or brought into state. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Now here might be a trick for you too if I read correctly. If you have metal linked belts they had to be "linked" with more then 10 rounds before 2000 to be legal. I am guessing if you never shot the last 11 rounds on the belt you would "legaly" be able to reload it to any length and still be "legal".

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
Got Hi Caps?

You know it really makes you wonder if they never would have banned Hi Caps in the first place we wouldn't have gone out and bought so many... I have Drums hi cap ak ar fal (got belts too):) and who ever nows what else I still use them all however I prefer to use them on a private range. I've been hassled by a LE officer at a public range he never said anything to me but was giving me the stink eye...:p

Another thing that is weird is that if you need a new or used mag body to repair a damaged mag they will let you do that and I've seen post dated and LE only mag bodys shipped here so go figure...

·
Registered
288 Posts
Im a CA firearms dealer. I have a high cap permit etc... I also have personally owned links and full capacity magazines. I relink my links just like I reload my magazines.. or belts. I don't see any seperation in the law for magazines and "feeding devices" so I treat them the same.

I have alot of weapons that younger guys here in CA will do anything to legally own and I take them to public ranges all the time. I will gladly school any LE I run into about current CA firearms regs and enjoy doing it. A well informed cop is a better cop blah blah blah.

I have met cops who think civilian posetion of high caps is illegal. I have met alot more cops that dont even care about your mags... if your not an a-hole baggy cloths, hat sidways idiot.

Specifically belts and links are high caps. If you had them inside the state of CA before 2000 have at it. However you cant bring them from outside the state even if you owned them preban.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Arisaka San said:
First I'm not a lawyer.....
That being said..

There has always been a grandfather clause on Kalifornia Pre-ban Hi cap mags.
If you owned ANY hi-cap magazine or feeding device over 10 rounds capacity IN STATE, BEFORE 1/1/2000, you are allowed to load and use them as normal. You don't need to cut up your belts or put in magazine limiters on Any KA Pre 2000 magazine. The ammo can is NOT a feeding device, but rather a holder for ammunition. A drum is an internal working magazine, thus isn't an ammo can. Assembling lose links to more than 10rnds is not allowed as that would be now a newly made hi-cap feeding device. Pre 1/1/2000 already linked ammo over 10rnds is OK, and don't need to be broken into 10rnd links. However, after use, those links can only be reloaded to 10rnd capacity.

After 1/1/2000 NO magazine or feeding device over 10 rounds may be Mfg., brought in, loaned or sold with in the state AFTER 1/1/2000.
Certain exceptions are such as a Hi-cap magazine permit, LE, or Military.
As far as a new civilian resident of KA, Hi-cap magazines/feeding devices must be left out of state.
That why I'm glad I have my stash of old ammo all 10 million rounds all linked up in the 70's.:D

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thx for the response...I think I understand.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Lobo,

"THINK" is certainly the key word.. It's understandable that one can get confused on the wacky laws here..
Heck, even the ones who make these nonsense, ill-effective laws don't even know what they fully mean. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So let me understand.

If I lived in California and took a copy of my American Rifleman MAGAZINE and put 11 rounds in it...I'd be arrested.........unless it's an issue dated prior to 1-1-2000. Yeah, I think I got it now :).

·
Registered
595 Posts
Ok what about a belt like on a MG42. It does not come apart. Can you reload it in CA?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts