1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my girls out to the range yesterday so we could enjoys some family time and show our Chinese exchange student how real Americans have a good time,she had blast!
I picked up a European Highway patrol high power a while ago and have really enjoyed it,I figured my girls were big enough to move up to a real handgun,until now they have only shot .22s, I have never had any problems with this thing,I bought a bunch of mags when I got it and made sure they were all 100% reliable,but when I handed it to my youngest,16, it wouldn't cycle,it kept jamming and double feeding,I kept swapping mags but it didn't matter,so I took it from her and ran the whole mag out,no problems,the our Chinese girl tried it with the same problem,my son in law had his Smith and Wesson M&P and they were both able to shoot it without a problem, I ran 3 mags through the high power before we went home so I know it wasn't the gun or ammo.
Do high powers have a problem with limp wristing?
I bought the gun used so I don't have any info on it other then the markings which most people claim were some European Highway Patrol,plus the fact that there was no blueing left on the lower frame and major wear on the aluminum,so it was carried holstered all of it's like,but the bore is perfect and the slide is tight and I have no problem hitting 2 liter water bottles out to 50 feet!
My youngest did run a mag through one of my 1911's so the High power should be great for her.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I took my girls out to the range yesterday so we could enjoys some family time and show our Chinese exchange student how real Americans have a good time,she had blast!
I picked up a European Highway patrol high power a while ago and have really enjoyed it,I figured my girls were big enough to move up to a real handgun,until now they have only shot .22s, I have never had any problems with this thing,I bought a bunch of mags when I got it and made sure they were all 100% reliable,but when I handed it to my youngest,16, it wouldn't cycle,it kept jamming and double feeding,I kept swapping mags but it didn't matter,so I took it from her and ran the whole mag out,no problems,the our Chinese girl tried it with the same problem,my son in law had his Smith and Wesson M&P and they were both able to shoot it without a problem, I ran 3 mags through the high power before we went home so I know it wasn't the gun or ammo.
Do high powers have a problem with limp wristing?
I bought the gun used so I don't have any info on it other then the markings which most people claim were some European Highway Patrol,plus the fact that there was no blueing left on the lower frame and major wear on the aluminum,so it was carried holstered all of it's like,but the bore is perfect and the slide is tight and I have no problem hitting 2 liter water bottles out to 50 feet!
My youngest did run a mag through one of my 1911's so the High power should be great for her.
Just about any semi auto pistol will exhibit feeding issues if limp wristing occurs.
It's the nature of the beast; as holding the pistol limply reduces recoil impulse available to drive the slide all the way back.
Thus you either fail to eject the empty cartridge case causing jams, fail to pick up a fresh round, and in some cases fail to recock the action.

If you can not hold the pistol tightly, try a revolver.
When I used to teach for CCW permits, I ran into many women who could not cope with the recoil, resulting in misfires, jams and such.
Switching them to a revolver solved the problem.

·
5,467 Posts
God gave two hands, use them. Any firing situation should evolve both other than NRA or some other match requirement that involves some rules that require a one handed hold.

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
high power

Both of the girls were using two hand,they were beginners and just couldn't keep a firm enough grip. Another factor that might be part of the problem is I always load at the bottom,so the combination of weak hold and low power ammo was the most likely problem.
I have shot this gun many times with my reloads and never had a problem,either one handed or two.
I'll work with my daughter this summer,I was hoping to give her the high power when she went to school,maybe I'll send her with a 1911 instead!

·
Registered
154 Posts
About 16 years ago a colleague and I carried out an unofficial limp wrist test with our L9 pistols (British issue BHP). I eventually held it so lightly that when it fired, it launched out of my hand and landed on the floor. It never skipped a beat! This was a 1967 dated gun but had obviously been routinely serviced. The ammo we used was standard Radway Green government contact ammo and IMI contract ammo.

I also used IMI ammo in the Walther PP (7.65) and it consistently short stroked.

I suspect your thoughts on weak ammo could be a safe bet.

·
Registered
74 Posts
It sure sounds like ammo to me. The previous poster was shooting NATO-spec ammo which is 124gr at about 1200fps from a Browning P35. rather hotter than what you were loading.
Why on earth are you down-loading 9mm so far? It's not like normal US commercial 9mm loadings are known for recoil. If you must shoot such wimpy ammo get a lighter recoil spring. But be careful not to shoot normal or NATO-spec ammo with a light recoil spring.

Normally, younger shooters and women are fond of the Browning HP and CZ75 due to the more ergonomic grip which also spreads the recoil over a larger area of the hand.

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
high power

My ammo isn't really downloaded,it's just at the beginning of the load range,and I have never had any problems in any of my 9MM's,my ammo is just plinking ammo,stuff to shoot plates with so it really doesn't need to be hotter,plus it's easier on the guns.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts