1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever made a 1917 barrel by turning down a 1919 barrel. I used the step configuration like on a Mauser rifle barrel for convenience sake, paying special attention to ending up with a barrel that is the same weight as an original 1917 barrel. Have not tried it yet but don't expect any issues.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I found it worked well to keep it cool (light cuts)when turning and support the barrel so you don't get any chatter.
Yes there is a lot of metal. LOL
Steamer

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1917 barrel

Fired the gun with my homemade barrel at the Sandy and it worked great. So much for the availability issues. I love it when a plan comes together.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
Good to hear. I've used a turned down barrel from ohioblacksheep, and greaser here is doing some from Izzy 308 barrels. As you have found, it's perfectly doable, just takes a bit of time and care. I am barely past the hack level on a lathe, so I wouldn't have the patience for it. But the good report from Big Sandy is appreciated!

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I have one of Lou's turned down IZZY barrels for my semi RIA 1917A1 and a minty RIA barrel for show. Unfortunately that one doesn't get out much - too pretty.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Glad to hear it worked well. Goes to show that it can be done. They look even better when you do them yourself. LOL

Ohioblacksheep and Greaser are great guys to do business with!

Steamer:)

·
Registered
847 Posts
Fired the gun with my homemade barrel at the Sandy and it worked great. So much for the availability issues. I love it when a plan comes together.
What slot were you in ? The Big Sandy for me caused more headaches. Broke a bunch of parts (Including a Breech lock cam ??). But had a sucessful .308 test with my 30-06 ANM2 beltfed.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sandy

I was at position 60. Had a ball shooting with Richard, Barbara, Bob and Tony. My 1919 reeked havoc on those reactive targets. Also I got to play with my 1917 and it ran like a buzz saw. Still haven't seen my paperwork. GRRRR!
Just received a bunch of spare parts from Numrich and more to come from Sarco. Buy lots of spare parts, it's getting rough out there. Some parts can only be found on the after market scene.
Storageman, did you say you converted your ANM2 to .308. I wondered if someone was going to do that. 30-06 is so hard to find.
Is it March yet?

·
Registered
847 Posts
I was at position 60. Had a ball shooting with Richard, Barbara, Bob and Tony. My 1919 reeked havoc on those reactive targets. Also I got to play with my 1917 and it ran like a buzz saw. Still haven't seen my paperwork. GRRRR!
Just received a bunch of spare parts from Numrich and more to come from Sarco. Buy lots of spare parts, it's getting rough out there. Some parts can only be found on the after market scene.
Storageman, did you say you converted your ANM2 to .308. I wondered if someone was going to do that. 30-06 is so hard to find.
Is it March yet?
I was in 15-16. I didn't shoot very much other than my .308 tests and some test ammo. I ended up breaking a breach lock cam. In my haste, I did a qick head space adjustment ( which wasn't quite right ) and proceeded to then get several cartridge separations (they are a ***** to clear) and in the process of clearing the last one, I bent the extractor so then I had Feeding issues. By then it was late Saturday and I said F - it. I will look you up the next time we go.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I've turned down a LOT of A4 barrels in .308 , 30-06, and 8mm for water cooled guns.. As some have already said, try and NOT let them get to hot while your doing them.. Something else I've learned.. The Izzy .308 barrels have some Super Tuff steel in them!!!! The 30-06 barrels, Not so tuff.. After turning down Izzy barrels the new made 8mm barrels are like cutting Butter..Way softer...

I know it only takes about 6-8,000 rds to make an 8mm barrel a Smooth bore, I've not come across anybody yet who has shot out an Izzy .308 barrel to find out how many rds it takes...My guess would be around 20,000 rds... Anybody know???....Lou

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
barrels

I go through about one barrel per year but as you suggested it is hard to put a shot count on it. It varies. Two Sandys per year a small match every month. Can't have too many barrels. Those iszy barrels are very hard. Short chips that pop off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Howdy, I haven't been on the boards for quite a while. I am in the process of putting together a semi 1917 and am going to turn down the 1919 barrel that came with the parts kit.

I am a machinist and have been for 30+ years, so I know what needs to be done to turn this nasty material. The only thing I don't have is a drawing of what the barrel should be cut to.

Does anyone out there have a print? Or can anyone point me in the right direction to find one? I can probably get close, but would like to know what it's supposed to be from the factory

Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts