1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone out there know how the Hornady brand A-Max 50 bmg rounds cycle in a semi auto rifle (Barrett, Serbu) and if there are any issues or problems? Any info would be most appreciated. Thank you.

stingray656667

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Dont know about current production AMAX ammo, but 7 or 8 years ago we did a shoot with the guys at Hornady for fun, including some gun writers. they wanted to shoot the M2HB ( Real FA WWII High Standard) and the 82A1. Hornady supplied the ammo for the shoot, and they arrived with AMAX ammo to link up . the rate of fire was noticeably higher with the AMAX compared to the USGI ball I brought. Ran fine in both guns.

Gun Machine gun Soldier Military Machine

PS: I had 1-1/2 cans of the AMAX left and they just gave it to me. It is still up in the shop somewhere. Nice ammo, I can't afford to buy the projectiles ......

·
Registered
761 Posts
I believe they load to fit into semi auto mags, which would be 5.45". Any longer and it won't fit and will have to be single loaded.

The other thing that you need to remember is that the AMAX is a BIG bullet. And when pushed down that far into the case can cause pressure issues. If you reload them start out lower and work up.

The factory stuff should be fine in your rifle, just watch for any pressure signs.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A-Max

Thank you very much for the replies. My range will only allow me to shoot rounds that do not have a steel core and are non-magnetic. The A-max bullet is the only lead core/ballistic aluminum tip round that I can find. I understand that the ball ammo that is out there (M33 loaded by various manufacturers) still has a mild steel core which is why it's magnetic. The only other stuff that might work for range compliance is the PMC X-Tac ammo with a bronze bullet as this would also be non-magnetic. Thanks for the help.

stingray656667

·
Registered
95 Posts
You could always roll your own. Barnes tsx bullet would be another option, plus it could double as a t-rex hunting round.:rofl:

All joking aside, I have some loaded up for hog hunting.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Runs Great

I shot the some amax I bought this year in a Serbu BFG50a semi auto I got late last year. Ran great and was very accurate.

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
I believe they load to fit into semi auto mags, which would be 5.45". Any longer and it won't fit and will have to be single loaded.

The other thing that you need to remember is that the AMAX is a BIG bullet. And when pushed down that far into the case can cause pressure issues. If you reload them start out lower and work up.

The factory stuff should be fine in your rifle, just watch for any pressure signs.
Loaded some of these 800 gr. Hornady projo's. Yes...they are longer and must be seated deeper if used in a semi or belt fed. Loaded all mine for an FA M2HB....but too expensive to shoot that way..LOL. Only shoot them sparingly in a State Arms bolt gun.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
...earlier ones...

Amax are not 800 Gr. they are 750 Gr. !! I just checked their 2016 catalog it states 750 Gr. FWIW
Loaded in 2001,there were 2-bullet weights...750 gr and 800 gr. Apparently,they dropped the 800 gr from their line...? I remember because that was the heaviest .50 BMG bullet I ever loaded...and the most expensive...!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Loaded in 2001,there were 2-bullet weights...750 gr and 800 gr. Apparently,they dropped the 800 gr from their line...? I remember because that was the heaviest .50 BMG bullet I ever loaded...and the most expensive...!!

Heaviest iI have loaded up so far is a spotter tracer which is something like 820 grains. Those are a hoot to shoot, we need some rain so that I can go play with the 50 without worrying about fires.

I really wish the A-Max wasn't so expensive I'd love to shoot that compared to API.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
50 bmg Hornady A-Max

I shot the some amax I bought this year in a Serbu BFG50a semi auto I got late last year. Ran great and was very accurate.
Does your BFG 50A have a preference for other types of ammo commonly available? Most of what I come across is Lake City manufacture M33 ball ammo usually with an '09 or later production date and sold either linked or in lots of 100 rounds. Other commonly found ammo is PMC Bronze ball ammo or the PMC X-Tac ammo with brass projectiles. Have you run any such ammo through your Serbu and, if so, how did these other rounds function? I haven't bought a 50 cal yet but I'm leaning towards the Serbu because I like the gas operated design of the action as opposed to the recoil operated action of the Barrett. The Serbu also doesn't need to be broken down in order to store it in its case and it's lighter than the Barrett. Thanks.

stingray656667

·
Registered
761 Posts
There really is no comparison between surplus bullets and AMAX or any other match grade bullets. Especially if you plan on shooting to extreme ranges.

You'll find this out as you get more familiar with your rifle and start shooting at longer ranges. AP projos were considered the best to use out of all surplus rounds due to the way they were made.

You need to start reloading to get the best results, keep costs down and accuracy up. There are more choices in bullet options also, the AMAX is a good bullet but there are better. Plus your rifle might like a different type of bullet then an AMAX.

·
Registered
885 Posts
These Leigh 650 gr. solids are the closest you can get to a ball M33 projectile. They are fairly cheap as non magnetic bullets go. My M2 and BFG50 both like them.

http://www.lehighdefense.com/collec...0-match-solid-650gr-bullet?variant=1073831204

Just a note, I started a fire with AMAX projectiles. So no projectile is totally safe, even non magnetic stuff.

I might have to try out some of these controlled fracturing bullets on the pumpkins next Halloween. I used some frangibles a few year back expecting destruction and just got clean holes. I wonder if they will stay together above sub sonic to clear the brake. http://www.lehighdefense.com/collections/bullets/products/510-controlled-fracturing-725gr-bullet

·
Registered
761 Posts
DRH,
How do they hold the bullets in place on the frangible bullets. If it's not secure it's going to cause all kinds of problems right from the start.

Guess I might have to go to their website and check them out, very interesting looking bullet.

·
Registered
885 Posts
DRH,
How do they hold the bullets in place on the frangible bullets. If it's not secure it's going to cause all kinds of problems right from the start.

Guess I might have to go to their website and check them out, very interesting looking bullet.
I have not tried the controlled fracturing bullets yet. It looks like the inner bullet is just pressed in. They are advertised as sub sonic and I was worried about expansion before the brake as I was going to used them at supersonic speeds. It says that they are machined from solid bar stock so they should hold together. The other frangible bullets, I had previously tried were the 600 Gr. round nose ones from poly gun bags, they were good for no ricochets but did not disintegrate to transfer energy well and just made holes. The Leigh close quarter bullet also looks cool for expansion, but the weight is awful low. I might get some of those for pumpkin blasting also.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts