1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Japanese Type 97 fragmentation grenade I was thinking of selling and then it occurred to me how do I ship this? The last thing I want or need is some postal inspector freaking out and calling the bomb disposal units never to see my grenade again. So my question is what does a person do when they sell something like this and need to ship it? I guess I could always just take it to a local show, put it in a display case and sell it there. Anyone have experience shipping this stuff? Here are a couple pics, and no it isn't for sale just yet! :eek:
CaptMax

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
UPS or FedEx Ground would be best.

USPS

11.5 Replica or Inert Explosive Devices
Replica or inert explosive devices that bear a realistic appearance to explosive devices
such as simulated grenades, but that are not dangerous, are permitted in the mail when
all of the following conditions are met:
a. The package is presented by the mailer at a retail counter.
b. Registered Mail service is used. (Registered Mail service is only available for
items mailed as either First-Class Mail or Priority Mail.)
c. The address side of the package is labeled with “REPLICA EXPLOSIVE”
using at least 20 point type or letters at least 1/4-inch high.

http://pe.usps.gov/FRN/Inert_Munitions_final_2010.pdf

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
UPS or FedEx Ground would be best.

USPS

11.5 Replica or Inert Explosive Devices
Replica or inert explosive devices that bear a realistic appearance to explosive devices
such as simulated grenades, but that are not dangerous, are permitted in the mail when
all of the following conditions are met:
a. The package is presented by the mailer at a retail counter.
b. Registered Mail service is used. (Registered Mail service is only available for
items mailed as either First-Class Mail or Priority Mail.)
c. The address side of the package is labeled with “REPLICA EXPLOSIVE”
using at least 20 point type or letters at least 1/4-inch high.

http://pe.usps.gov/FRN/Inert_Munitions_final_2010.pdf
"Thank-you" Kirby.:thumbup:
Now I feel stupid for not Googling it. :eek:
CaptMax

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I saved it as well. Thought I could print it out so as to take it with me to the USPS office if I should decide to ship it.
CaptMax

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
CaptMax

If your selling it, pm me a price, I could use that style for my collection

Disassembling it with the parts separated also helps

Troy

·
Premium Member
6,028 Posts
Captmax you do know that was how the Waco incident started right? A US dummy pineapple grenade plus a damaged box and add a skittish delivery guy and presto

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Friend of mine returning to Texas following the Show of Shows a few years ago found out the problems those can cause going through the TSA line at the Louisville Airport. :) We have not let him live that down yet.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Many years ago I ordered a deactivated Mills Grenade from a guy in Canada. A while later i got a visit from an ATF agent who wanted to explain the federal laws to me. He added that my name had come up but he had no idea why. I explained to him why I though he got my name. The package with the grenade had been opened by the postal inspector and the grenade clearly had holes drilled in the side to indicate it was empty. The body of the grenade had also been broken into three pieces. I think the previous owner had glued it back together but the glue did not hold. I explained that I was an instructor at the National guard Officer Candidate School, which was true and I had given classes on hand grenades and I wanted an example of a Mills Bomb to show along with others. At that time I was also employed by the National Guard. I never heard anything more about it but it shows how picky they can get about these things.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts