1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you stick with the 200 rounds for a 30 cal ammo can, more ore less?
I have 1k links on the way and was going to get started linking some together.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I link belts of 100 rounds for my 1919A4.
The continuous ROF of a 1919A4 is 120 RPM so that ensures the barrel never gets over heated.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My links showed up today...I got frisky and loaded about 250 by hand. Will likely break it down into smaller sections but 10 feet of belt sure is fun to look at :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
We soon realized that the dollar per minute rate was excessive and that my finger too often just got stuck on the trigger.

So, we now load 50 round belts which causes an economic stoppage and we seldom take more than two belts up to the line at a time. Actual rate of fire ($ per) varies with walking distance to ammo pile.

Process control. Sorta works for us

Don

·
Registered
500 Posts
Like Don I load belts for the economic stoppage, if we were in a combat zone it would be an altogether different story of course. However, given that is not the case for recreational shooters who may randomly "invite" someone to enjoy the thrill of participating in one of the coolest hobbies in the world it is probably best to prepare ahead of time for those folks that "Can't let Go" . LOL

Things that I give consideration to when loading are:
1. Ammo costs
2. Barrel life
3. Gun life (parts wear-out considerations)
4. How deep my pockets are (Not very, LOL)

Ok, to be more succinct I'll say this for the 1919, although the .30 caliber can should hold 250 rounds of belted ammo, when I go to the range I take a cans of belted ammo with 25 round belts so that guests can pull the trigger until they run out of ammo. This way I can comfortably invite many folks to enjoy shooting the gun. For myself I load 50 round belts, so the difference isn't that great anyway. For the M2HB although the .50 can will hold 100 rounds of continuously belted ammo I'll have a couple of cans that are loaded with 10 round belts for guests to shoot and for myself 20 round belts are pretty much the norm although, I have been known to load 50 round belts for my wife to shoot when she shot a very generous persons Quad .50 set up, and that was at his suggestion as the rate of "Digestion" was four times normal that was all I could afford anyway. LOL

You might ask how I came up with these numbers well, it's the number of belted rounds that will lay in the can in one layer. Too in a .50 caliber can I generally only carry 80-90 rounds so as to lighten up the weight of the can as I'm loading or carrying it. Also, when the belt is not continuous you will not be able to load to the can to maximum capacity so although the can may appear to be full it will be easier to carry to the line.

Don better start linking ammo, November is right around the corner.

Frank in GA.

We soon realized that the dollar per minute rate was excessive and that my finger too often just got stuck on the trigger.

So, we now load 50 round belts which causes an economic stoppage and we seldom take more than two belts up to the line at a time. Actual rate of fire ($ per) varies with walking distance to ammo pile.

Process control. Sorta works for us

Don

·
Registered
113 Posts
Frank in GA.

Frank in GA.

Yes Frank, though we do need to finish getting ready for an October excursion...

And then, that bothersome paperwork for November

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Do you stick with the 200 rounds for a 30 cal ammo can, more ore less?
I have 1k links on the way and was going to get started linking some together.
I always load a minimum of four (4) belts of 250 rounds each. I then roll each belt and place them adjacent to each other is a USPS bulk mail carrier. 1000 rounds belted, or linked, fits nicely into the USPS carrier. The weight isn't too bad as I'm not carrying any ammo cans.

I always carry one ammo can containing some cleaning stuff and a few extra '17A1 parts. When it comes time to shoot, I mount the '17A1 on it's tripod, fill the water jacket, and snap the empty ammo can onto the tripod. I then unroll one ammo belt and load it into the ammo can. Doing this I can inspect the belt looking for anything not quite right and take corrective action, if needed. When the first belt is depleted I unroll, inspect, and load the second belt into the ammo can. I do this until I'm out of ammo.

When the shoot is over, I police my brass and shovel all the belts/links and brass into the empty USPS carrier for transport to home base. It's quick and easy.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Don,

That bothersome paperwork for November needs to be in by September 29. Just sayin'.

Frank

Frank in GA.

Frank in GA.

Yes Frank, though we do need to finish getting ready for an October excursion...

And then, that bothersome paperwork for November

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After blazing through about 200 rounds in no time the other day, I now see what yall mean by "loading for economic stoppage"
I figure I'll load up some ammo cans with a single strand (around 220 rounds ea) then have another ammo can with 20 round strands for people to try out. I figure loading a box of ammo on a single strand will put it into perspective for people wanting to shoot it and not hurt too bad if others wanna try.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wish I could afford a full auto...although I couldnt afford to feed it lol.
Very cool video though. I'll just sit here dreaming.

·
BeltFed GURU
4,433 Posts
A Crank will do it almost as fast :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: :cashwallet:

How you liking the the Link Master ? :confused: Sure makes easier :cool: and it`s New worn in a little it will work faster ! with fewer hiccup`s ,i still using my M-7 plate conversion i got back in the late 90`s remove the plate and spacer and goes back to a 50 Linker/Delinker with one bolt :D 20 rounds up at a time one push but laying out links and cartridges takes more time .

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I linked about 350 rounds in one continuous link then broke it down into a few smaller ones. Its quite the contraption!

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, we sold that gun. Tired of feeding/fixing it. That video shows the ROF with the bolt buffer in it. If you take the buffer out, it's worse. And the old girl didn't like the 1200 rpm. J

·
Registered
62 Posts
IF he was going to start linking ammo, I would have to have it loaded and I'm just a wee bit behind at the moment. Didn't help finding a 50 can full of tracer tips that need to be resized and made somewhat roundish :mad:

Of course we could bring our "special" barrel out of retirement. Maybe the lack of roundness will counter the lack of rifling. Or, knowing my luck, we would have the only gun that could fire 180 degrees off axis.....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts