1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked / set the timing / headspace then ran about 250 rounds of 54R through it, cleaned with ammonia,water, airhose, then WD40 the hell out of it. Got it out a few months later and ran another 250 rounds through it. Cleaned as stated above. Ran like a top both outings. The gun was not disassembled when cleaned, just removed bolt but not trigger assembly. Just curious what others MO is about intervals of checking timing/headspace.

I know the answer is going to be " before everytime you shoot it or you'll blow yourself up",but, example, if I where to shoot 2000 rounds through it , would you stop at 500 or 1000 to check?

·
Registered
316 Posts
The headspace shouldn't change unless you are disassembling for cleaning, you change lots/type of ammo or you shoot it enough to wear things out. The timing really shouldn't vary much unless you are changing internal parts associated with the timing or again have enough ammo through it where you are wearing out parts. Especially with 54R, if you change lots or manufacturer of the ammo, recheck your headspace as this stuff varies quite a bit.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ummagumma, thanks for the input, being fairly new to the 1919, I wasn't sure, I would hope you could run a couple 1000 rounds are more, before starting to think about checking h/t specs. I browsed through an online manual, but didn't run across any type of scheduled maintenance specs.

·
Registered
316 Posts
You will find a massive amount of information on this site relating to checking headspace, and for good reason. Most if not all the 54R barrels out there are converted 7.62 barrels which means they have the more positive type lock notches compared to the .30 cal barrels. Basically, you have very little worries about the barrel rotating once the lockspring is engaged.

I normally disassemble to clean and re-lubricate after a lengthy shooting session and therefore recheck/set headspace upon assembly. Using the same barrel and bolt for 54R I simply mark the barrel with a punch or some type of high visibility marker at a set location once proper headspace is achieved. This allows me to reset it quicker for assembly the next time and also serves as a guide to keep an eye on during those longer shooting sessions to assure it doesn't move. I periodically check the timing but haven't had to adjust it once it was set. Have fun out there!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes sir, I have mine set at 1 click out from zero head space and the barrell is marked (yes, 7.62 conversion), wasn't sure about the timing, it drops the hammer at around 0,070, if I recall correctly, which is suppose to be in tolerance. Your best guesstimation about the rounds you've had since you first check/set the timing?

·
Registered
316 Posts
.070" is right in the middle of the tolerance spectrum so you are good. I have run easily 15-20K without any change to timing (and I do check it periodically).

·
Registered
200 Posts
I dont have an auto 1919, but in the Corps we are taught to set the head space and timing of the 1919s little brother the M2 50 cal every time day you fire it. So five days in the field equals checking the head space and timing 5 times.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
I'll set the headspace once and then shoot it all day (5-6K) rounds without checking it again. Disassemble, clean, reset the timing and do it again the next day. The amount of rounds through mean nothing until you upset the headspace by cleaning or taking it apart. Once you do.... Once you doooooo, you have to reset the headspace.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
I packed up a bunch of toys and ammo, loaded up a couple friends (yes, I do have some. LOL!) and headed up the mountain.
I did not even bother to check the 1919's head space this trip.
I FORGOT the frikkin ammo, links and linker. GAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!
Still had fun though.:confused:

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
That is Bad to go, You got lucky, you might be lucky for a few more years. But sooner or latter, bad things will happen.
I don't think you read my entire post.
No AMMO.
No LINKS.
No LINKER.
No reason to unload gun, tripod and adapter from truck and lug it all up the hill to the range.
Gun stayed in truck the whole trip until back home.
No reason to check head space.
Or oil it.
Or dry swab the barrel just in case of spiders.

Just stand around shooting some of my other guns feeling somewhat pissy and foolish.
:eek:

·
Registered
200 Posts
I checked / set the timing / headspace then ran about 250 rounds of 54R through it, cleaned with ammonia,water, airhose, then WD40 the hell out of it. Got it out a few months later and ran another 250 rounds through it. Cleaned as stated above. Ran like a top both outings. The gun was not disassembled when cleaned, just removed bolt but not trigger assembly. Just curious what others MO is about intervals of checking timing/headspace.

I know the answer is going to be " before everytime you shoot it or you'll blow yourself up",but, example, if I where to shoot 2000 rounds through it , would you stop at 500 or 1000 to check?
Only if the gun starts to act wierd, ie starts to slow down, not deeding and ejecting etc. JB designed a great gun. In Iraq my Marines never stopped in the middle of a fire fight to check head space and timing of the 50. That being said before we left for the next mission you can bet it was checked.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When I first set the headspace, months ago, I was 1 click out from zero (HS set with barrel out, thumb held to blocking bar with bolt locked up, marked zero, then 1 click out).
After taking it apart and cleaning, I rechecked headspace and know I'm off one notch from my original zero, no big deal, 1 click out from new zero which was about one click further in than before), check timing, changed from around 0.070" to around 0.045", went to shoot, no bang, wasn't locking up. disassembled, went 1 more click out, back to original head space setting. Runs like a top. started dumping round, sounds great, but now I'm running it 2 clicks out from zero. I checked a lot of the casings, looking for any signs of shell case separation, everything appears to be fine. It seems that I was probably splitting the notch when the barrel bottomed out on the bolt, even though its set at its original HS location, it now appears that I'm actually 2 clicks out instead of one. (Might technically be 1 1/2 clicks out, I know you can't set that, but locating dead zero is kinda splitting notches).
Now another question.

For you 54R guys, how many clicks out from zero do you have your gun set? I'm sure mileage will vary from gun to gun, but I searched on this forum and didn't really have good answer the 54R conversion crowd.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Gents Ill just give mt .02 cents again and enjoy this fine day. In the Corps we check the M2's head space and timing before every training evoloution/mission in country. Exsesive? Mayabe a little bit, BUT ive never expereinced a timing or headspace realted issue in my close to 10 years in the Corps. Head space and timing takes no time to verify and is crucial for the safe and reliable functioning of the weapon. For the ammount of money you Full Auto guys have invested why wouldnt you ensure that the gun was running correctly?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I concure, but some of the info is hard to find and I'm dealing with a conversion from a 30-06 to Russian round 54R. Its a proven conversion but you can't find a manual for the safety tolerances for a 1919A4 in 7.62xR54, that's why I'm bugging you guys.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I concure, but some of the info is hard to find and I'm dealing with a conversion from a 30-06 to Russian round 54R. Its a proven conversion but you can't find a manual for the safety tolerances for a 1919A4 in 7.62xR54, that's why I'm bugging you guys.
Your not bugging, and im a super noob to the 1919, but im pretty well versed with its brother the m2 50. Just set the headspace and timing per the tutorials and go from there EACH outing. When she starts to get slugish add a turn out to the barrel etc.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I appreciate all info. If I owned enough land, I'd love to have a MaDuece, I consider myself very fortunate just to be able to shoot the 1919 without pissing off the neighbors (well most don't get pissed), there is this one old fart that, nevermind.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I appreciate all info. If I owned enough land, I'd love to have a MaDuece, I consider myself very fortunate just to be able to shoot the 1919 without pissing off the neighbors (well most don't get pissed), there is this one old fart that, nevermind.
I dnever get a 50, the ammo is way too much. With your 54r conversion you can run that thing for pennies. Im doing a 54r for my semi.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts