1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received my Vickers MK1 parts kit and i would like to know how i finish it to be a legal deactivated gun for a truck restoration. I assume i have to get or make a right side plate which narrows the space so internals will not fit. If i buy a 80% side plate will this do the trick or will i have to alter that.
thanks scott

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
I can tell you how most companies like IMA USA and Sarco build the display guns to meet BATFE regulations.

Weld shut chamber end of barrel.
Tack/weld barrel to trunnion.
Obtain two thick side plates that will not allow a live lock to fit inside the display gun. the thick dummy plates on both sides typically have cutout for recoil arm stubs.
Cut (or make) recoil arm stubs.
Weld firing pin or firing pin hole closed.
Weld extractor to lock case.
Cut ears off extractor.

Using this method you will have a dummy gun that allows you to move the handle back and it will slam forward under spring tension like a live gun. Of course without recoil arms it will not feed rounds or allow the barrel to move.

Parts typically used that do NOT have to be modified: Rear spade grip assembly, Top cover assembly, cage/muzzle assembly, bottom plate, feed block, fusee spring and cover, crank and handle.

Dummy plates, Recoil arm stub, dummy barrel (chamber plugged):

Dummy parts were used to build a display Colt Vickers aircraft gun (below), other parts to build a live WWI ground gun.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
If you end up with any extra internal parts like the recoil arm assy please let me know. I have shot out vickers barrels also so if yours still has good rifling in it lets talk trade

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
i would like to hold on to all the extra parts. thanks
Yes, keep your parts, I used the parts from a WWI display Turkish Vickers for a live Vickers build, all those "good" parts off the dummy gun went into this ground gun including the water jacket:

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Thank you, the dummy parts went into the display1918 Colt Vickers aircraft gun. Nothing ruined or wasted. Take Dennis up on his offer, he built both of these guns, the live one and the display one. You can trust him and he is reasonable.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have a vickers in queue with him, I'm stupid excited for it! He's even doing a 7.62x54r conversion for it

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
While I don't have direct experience with this, I would hazard a guess to say that there are both venues and jurisdictions which prohibit the mounting or display of firearms. A "live" weapon, even if stripped of internals would be prohibited.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am going in all directions. I have collected all the correct parts for a live fire gun less the side plate and a dummy. The truck is he most important at some point perhaps i will build a semi.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts