1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, as I am somewhat new to this reloading / changing of rounds, how do you remove a bullet from a live round, with out damaging the bullet?

IE I have some 30-06 rounds that I want to salvage the bullets (black tip) and then reinstall the bullets into 308 rounds.

Maybe this is a basic question, but I see a lot of reloaders for starting with the individual new parts, but not much info on salvaging parts.

Thanks, David

·
Registered
48 Posts
Go get yourself a Kinetic Bullet Puller.It looks like a plastic hammer, you put a live round on one side and wack the other side on the ground, table, work bench or anything deserving to be hit and it pulls the head and contains the powder. You can find them cheap on sleezebay all the time.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
A kinetic bullet puller and use the end grain of a piece of hardwood to strike against. If you hit it on concrete or any other hard surface, you'll crack the plastic.
The end grain of a piece of wood will give enough to prevent breaking the tool, but will be strong enough to make it work.

Hopefully you have thoroughly read at least one reloading manual like the latest Lymans edition. This information is covered and you would do well to read one, paying particular attention to ALL the warnings. All the mistakes that can been made in reloading have already been made.....learn from other peoples mistakes, don't reinvent the wheel.

Oh.... DO NOT salvage the powder. Use fresh powder for your loads and dump the old powder on your lawn or shrubs.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yep, Smokeless powder makes a great fertilizer.

I also 3rd the Kinetic puller opinions. I got a RCBS puller that works great.
At first you might be a little timid at whacking a bullet against the ground, but they're perfectly safe to use, and leave no pull-marks on the slugs like a collet puller can.

I currently reload 7.7 & 6.5 Japanese, 8X56R Hungarian, 8X50R Austrian, .303 and 7.5 Swiss. That kinetic puller has come in pretty handy.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I forth the Kinetic puller. I'm on my third one, some military rounds are tough. As already said, a good piece of hardwood block. I have a 6x8 piece of red oak.
Couple things I recommend, you want NO distractions when reloading.

Leave the TV and radio's out of your reloading room.

Lock the door while your in there, in case the wife decides to walk in topless and in a thong.

If you have carpet, don't let the wife vacuum the floor, do it yourself and with a shop vac that can be emptied after each cleaning.

Read read read, and come back and ask questions all you need. Collectively here, you probably have a few thousand years of reloading experience at your disposal.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I word of warning-Don't use a kinetic bullet puller on unknown military rounds, As I remember reading about one gentleman who did so and the round exploded. :eek: (No one hurt but the bullet puller) It was a old 30 cal round with a explosive mixture that would go off on impact, Hence the reason not to use kinetic pullers on these.
I have reloaded on and off for several years and I still consider myself a FNG to reloading, So heed the warnings of others and read, read, and read some more.
Pick up at least 6 books on the subject. Start with Lymans current manual and the ABC's of reloading.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
1919dummie said:
I forth the Kinetic puller. I'm on my third one, some military rounds are tough. As already said, a good piece of hardwood block. I have a 6x8 piece of red oak.
Couple things I recommend, you want NO distractions when reloading.

Leave the TV and radio's out of your reloading room.

Lock the door while your in there, in case the wife decides to walk in topless and in a thong.

If you have carpet, don't let the wife vacuum the floor, do it yourself and with a shop vac that can be emptied after each cleaning.

Read read read, and come back and ask questions all you need. Collectively here, you probably have a few thousand years of reloading experience at your disposal.
Lets not go too far here!! If my wife walks in topless and wearing a thong....whatever is on the press can wait. :p :p :D :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
When using a kinetic bullet puller the three part collet can be eliminated by using
the shell holder from your press. When breaking down Mil. ammo with sealed necks,seat the cartrige in your press about 1/8" to break the bullet-case seal
saves a lot of banging.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all of the info, it is very helpful. I just have never had the need to remove a bullet from a case before and this info has really helped.

David

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I've pulled down a lot of old military ammo. Something that works really good for me is the wore out muzzle of a 30 cal barrel. I cut about 6 to 8 in off the end and clamp it in a vice. Stick the bullet in the worn muzzle, rock it back and forth a bit, it will break the seal and bell the mouth enough for the bullet to fall out unharmed...No Banging on stuff, no loading the round in a puller, unloading the puller, and if I don't take any coffee breaks I can tear down 500 to 600 rds an hr...Lou

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
I've had an old plastic RCBS kinetic bullet puller with an aluminum handle for 30 years and pulled everything from .38 to 50 BMG (bought an adapter that screws on the top) with it and have banged it on concrete the whole time...the end is mushroomed, but that just makes it purty. They don't make them like that anymore. I gotta admit I was a little nervous banging that thing on the floor with a 50 round in it, but I still have at least 3 fingers and one eye left so I'm good to go.

Last year I bought 30 cal and 8mm pulling collets that fit my press and they are much faster with much less trauma to the round...and my nerves.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Pour the old powder on a large anthill run a little trail of powder to pile and light.....most satisfying!..... Then you can use the chard ants for fertilizer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts