1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am trying to take apart the pistol grip to parkerize it. Cannot for the life of me get that screw out of the back of the grip to remove the buffer discs. Is there a trick to it or is mine stuck with 50 years of crud and gonna keep eating up screwdriver blades until it decides to come apart ????

·
Registered
169 Posts
Getcha a drag link socket from Mr. Snappy, Mac, et al. Comes right off. I had no luck with a screwdriver either.
HTH
mcj600

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I wouldn't bother with it. Just blast it and parkerize it. From experience with dozens of them done this way.....it will be fine.

Blow it dry after parkerizing and rinsing it and oil it. You are more likely(make that guaranteed) to mess up the screw than you are to get it undone without the right tool for the job.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,161 Posts
FWIW, I use the M6 tool which has a large screwdriver blade designed for this. It always has worked for me without damaging the slot. Some are more stuck than others, though!

·
Registered
769 Posts
I am inclined to go against my normal instincts with this project. The barrel shroud, for example, is perfectly straight and the screw holding it on is deep and staked on both sides nice and tight. I believe I'm going to park this with the shroud on.

After reading the above. I believe I'll do the same to the backplate. It is on so good, and the gun works so well. The seal on the buffer is so nice and tight already and the screw is absolutely perfect. I believe I'm just going to blast and park.

Unless someone can tell me the parkerizing will blow out the discs

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
There is grease, oil, crud,etc hidden away in the barrel shroud/ trunion connection as well in the backplate assembly. If you chose to park these as assemblies the park soluition will be contanimated as well as a poor finish as a result. Been there, done that, never again.
FWIW,
Dan

·
Registered
129 Posts
Buffer Disc Removal

Try an impact screwdriver. If you don't have one, use a big screwdriver with a blade 1/2" or wider. Put a crescent wrench on the end of the screwdriver and push and turn at the same time.

When they've been in there for 50 yrs. sometimes they're tough to break loose. We had a tough time getting one to break loose at Bulletfest.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Dan @ Angola Armory said:
There is grease, oil, crud,etc hidden away in the barrel shroud/ trunion connection as well in the backplate assembly. If you chose to park these as assemblies the park soluition will be contanimated as well as a poor finish as a result. Been there, done that, never again.
FWIW,
Dan
Never had a problem with contaminated solution and I've parkerized hundreds of parts and many guns, including assembled trunnions and shrouds, backplates ect. If the parts are degreased using brake cleaner or carb cleaner then blown dry, beaded and then parkerized they turn out fine. There is nothing that can mix with the water based parkerizing solution. If a skim developes on top, you skim it off using whatever and drop in the parts. I've used a friends parkerizing tank with the same soultion (enhanced once in a while with some concentrate) for a couple of years now and it has done many 1919 parts including those mentioned above with no ill effects on solution or finish of the parts. Curious as to what mfgr's solution you work with?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Most people have the right tool and dont know it! Check the lug wrench to you car as most of them have a very wide screwdriver end, If the blade will not fit tight then take a Dremal to the screwdriver end(shorten it to make it thicker or grind the side flats to thin)till you get the perfect fit.:D

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Personally I would not contaminate the buffer disks with any kind of liquid, be it park solution, Hoppe's, bore cleaner, or oil.Every kit builder should check his disk stack to check for contamination and the correct amount of disks.
Just my .o2

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Dont soak the buffers.

Those buffers become unservicable as soon as they absorb moisture or oil. Take em out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts