1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
I need to swap out my 1919A4 Barrel Jacket for a shorter A6 Jacket. the jacket is on way to tight for me to remove it by hand and I don't have access to a vice hold it steady. does anyone have any tips or tricks that would help me?

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
You need to secure the receiver somehow. Depending on what kind of mount you have, perhaps your tripod will do the trick. An M2 might be too light, but a 1917A1 pod would hold the gun so that you could un-torque the jacket. You'll probably want a round steel bar just small enough to go through the jacket holes, straight through both sides. Barrel must be out of the way, of course.

Beware also that some are soldered on, though that is probably not the case on a semi, so long as that issue was dealt with when built.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rod Size

would 1/4" Steel Rod work or do you think I should get something thicker?
I don't want to use something to thin and have it snap on me

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
would 1/4" Steel Rod work or do you think I should get something thicker?
I don't want to use something to thin and have it snap on me
1/4" may just bend on you. I'd suggest something more like 1/2", as the holes are 5/8 and you want something near that size, just in case you have to lean on it to break free.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Hey man, I dont want to sound like a dick, but you REALLY need to invest in some real basic tools before you try and remove major components from an expensive gun. 1/4 inch rod will either bend or dent the bbl shroud. If you absolutely have NO access to a vice (spend the 65 bucks you cheap fawk!) then use the tripod method suggested earlier. Remove the shroud screw, apply heat with a propane torch (not only if its soldered, but to break up all the crud) and then try slowly increasing amounts of force. I think I used some old metal pipe that was close to the vent hole diameter. Stay close to the trunnion. Leverage is your friend......blunt force trauma (to the shroud) is not!

If you dont have a tripod, or a vice.... you could build some bubba **** to hold the box (2x4's, ratchet straps) but its going to take longer than just buying a vice.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Scott,
I do have a tripod and the tools to go do most things I need to do. as for the vice its not a matter of the cost its a case of having no where to put it. I live in a one bed room apartment with absolutely no room to put a work bench, and a vice isn't even worth the scrap metal its made of if you cant secure it to something.
my one bedroom apartment also has wall to wall carpeting and carpet + blowtorch = no more appartment.
I know that you don't mean to be a dick about this but try not to tear into a guy without knowing all the facts. I ask these questions because I know my limitations and want to find ways around them. also because I know just enough about the 1919 to screw it up and I want to learn more, I am sure every one on this Forum was at that point once upon a time.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Hey man, I dont want to sound like a dick, ...
But you do and it's really uncalled for. He's asking legitimate questions and is smart enough to do that before he tries to attempt the work he is wanting to do. The advice you offer up is sound and I'm sure he appreciates that. It's what he's looking for.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
Scott,
I do have a tripod and the tools to go do most things I need to do. as for the vice its not a matter of the cost its a case of having no where to put it. I live in a one bed room apartment with absolutely no room to put a work bench, and a vice isn't even worth the scrap metal its made of if you cant secure it to something.
my one bedroom apartment also has wall to wall carpeting and carpet + blowtorch = no more appartment.
I know that you don't mean to be a dick about this but try not to tear into a guy without knowing all the facts. I ask these questions because I know my limitations and want to find ways around them. also because I know just enough about the 1919 to screw it up and I want to learn more, I am sure every one on this Forum was at that point once upon a time.
You work with what you have, and that is all you can do. Now assuming your gun is already a semi build, as I stated above, most builders will have pulled the jacket in the process of building and parkerizing. If so, then there is no reason to think the jacket got soldered back on, even if it came that way in the kit before being assembled. It should not, therefore, require that much effort to break free. If it has the retaining screw, you will see that clearly on the right side, so remove that as stated. You still need a solid breaker bar, and Scott is right about leverage being your friend here, so get something at least 24" long. Usually, these only require heat when they are still attached from 70 years ago, and have had those decades of time for mild corrosion to set in. Or the occasional soldered example. You won't know for sure what you have until you try, but it is like as not that it will break free with just adequate leverage. That being said, I could be completely wrong and you might need the torch, etc. But try the easy road first.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Helping hands

Welcome to our small world. Reading your profile I notice you also re-enact with WWII groups. Any possibility you were recently at the Northfield, MN event? Running on 30-06 or .308 blanks?

As a suggestion if you are near me I can help you remove the shroud if it proves stubborn beyond your current setting. Because we help each other others closer may post and offer assistance. You will obtain the ability to send and receive PM's after you have twenty posts.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I used a tire iron and ran it through the jacket after I removed the barrel. If you can't get the jacket off with a tire iron by supporting the receiver without a vice, try to find something to brace the tire iron in the jacket and rotate the receiver.

DaveB

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Sad Sack--

First off I want to welcome to our forum. Since you have limited access to proper tools due to your living arrangement. I started off in a one room apartment and probably end up there in the end. I would recommend that you contact a member of the forum that is close to you to help you out. Without the proper tools you run the risk of buggering up your gun. M1919A4 are starting to get tough to buy. At least identify which state you live in and some one on the forum will be glad to give you a hand.

--fjruple

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Welcome to our small world. Reading your profile I notice you also re-enact with WWII groups. Any possibility you were recently at the Northfield, MN event? Running on 30-06 or .308 blanks?.
I am a a reenactor and i use those 7.62NATO german surplus plastic blanks. 30-06 blanks get expensive quickly when you use 500+ per battle.
I wish I could go to that event, there aren't enough of them as it is but my range is 300 miles or 6hrs from Chicago
I hope i did the quote thing right.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Incredibly stupid question, don't eat me

Do I turn counter clockwise from the receiver end or the booster end?

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Do I turn counter clockwise from the receiver end or the booster end?
Righty tighty and lefty loosey from either end.
I would try and find a friend who has a shop vice you could use for a few minutes, be sure and cushion the receiver so you don't bugger it up.
CaptMax

·
Registered
7,893 Posts
If you find you can't get it off, I'm about an hour and a half from you [SE Wi Oak Creek area]. I can help you later next week if you want - I have everything necessary to remove it. Shoot me an email - your PM post count is too low for a PM.

[email protected]

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone

Thank you all for your help, this has to be one of the most novice friendly forums out there. Most wont give new guys like me the time of day.
If anyone has other advice for me id greatly appreciate it, most of what i know is from an army field manual from the mid-50's. It is good for the basics but experience trumps manuals in most things.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
But you do and it's really uncalled for. He's asking legitimate questions and is smart enough to do that before he tries to attempt the work he is wanting to do. The advice you offer up is sound and I'm sure he appreciates that. It's what he's looking for.
Uncalled for?
Glass...I was a young guy once who also lived in a one bedroom, carpeted apartment. This was in the days before the internet.....and I screwed up a LOT of guns because I tried using substandard tools or shoddy methods. My advice to the OP can be summed up as 'do it correctly, or don't do it at all.....BUT, if you insist on proceeding, here's a few tips'.
Im sure nobody here would willingly watch somebody WESCOG a gun part without at least suggesting to them the correct way to do it. (and the dangers of improper procedures....)

Sad Sack- Ive been the bro, I don't want to see you dick up a nice gun. If moderate torque and an adequate sized pry bar wont break this thing loose......take it somewhere that you can clamp it and heat it. If you twist, warp or dent that BBL shroud, you will hate yourself for it once you get old and realize you could have prevented the mistake with a little preparation.

One of these days Ill tell you about the Mauser receiver I bent.....:(

1 - 20 of 25 Posts