1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced a hose on a forklift a few years and it ended up being about an inch too long to hold tightly in the various rollers as the lift goes up/down. I've kept tension on w/ a bungee cord and that's getting old. If I cut and put a new end on I'm sure it will be too tight. Also would rather not have a whole new 20' hose made and go through hassle of getting routed/installed again. Seems like there should be some sort of simple device that would take up that little bit of slack. Something like three rollers with the center one pushing/pulling to essentially create the start of a loop. I can probably make something but looking for ideas and google hasn't been productive. This is in my personal shop and needless to say - not OSHA approved!

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
You are right that cutting the old fitting off would shorten the hose by 1-1/2 to 2 inches .
You could split the crimp band on one end of the hose , remove the fitting , cut and crimp on a new end that way .
If the ends are removeable ( vs. crimped ) , then remove , cut , and replace .
Can you add one more pulley to the path the hose travels through to take up the slack ? How about at one end or the other ? How about increasing the diam. of one or more pulleys to make the path longer ? Can you move the position of one of the pulleys to make the path longer ? Have you looked at an automotive belt tensionor set up ?
Can you add a fitting between the equipment and the hose , giving you the needed length to cut off and replace the end ? Can you move the fitting the hose attaches to ? Go from a straight to a 45* or 90* ?
Have you looked into getting a new forklift ?
Chris

·
Registered
695 Posts
Have you talked to your local Parker dealer? They may have just the ticket. Talk to the "on the road guy" for Parker, he probably has run into this before.

You might find a fitting on McMaster Carr's website too.
Or You could do as Chris suggested, get a new fork truck ....:eek:
Steamer

·
Registered
508 Posts
What make and model forklift? I am assuming this is a side shift hose? There should be an adjustment feature probably on the end at the bottom of the mast by the axle. If not there it will be on the side shift.

Steve

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lots of good ideas beyond where I was thinking (except buying a new one :eek:), thanks! Old Yale standup picker like you'd see at Lowe's, HD, etc.

·
Registered
82 Posts
there should be stationary clamps in addition to the pulleys that they have on the mast. You will want to loosen the clamps on the mast and pull them tight on the forklift end of the hose. Sometimes the clamps do not hold hoses tight when new ones are installed because of hose diameter and/or oil contamination.

When you try to tighten the hoses, you will want the mast fully extended as high as it goes. (easiest way to pull out the most slack). If the stationary mount blocks do not grip tight enough, try putting a thin piece of rubber between the clamp and the hose. A Parker store might have new clamps that could work as well.

(Be sure to block the mast up or some sort of saftey device)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts