1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone comment on the difficulty of removing the front trunnion from a Russian 1910 receiver box? I'd like to get to the bare receiver on my gun for refinishing.

I can see that it should just press out and am wondering if it is a home job or something to send out. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Trunnion slides up relative to the receiver box, to remove from receiver dovetails (assuming this is a Russian 1910 or Finn M09/32 and not a Finn M32/33) Place a wooden block under the jacket just in front of the trunnion so the receiver is elevated by an inch or so. If there is only one plate on the trunnion if a kit or If it is a completely assembled receiver the procedure is the same with some added suggestions for a complete receiver.
If there is only one plate assembled to the trunnion, tap the top of the receiver plate just behind the trunnion with a leather mallet or place a piece of hardwood laid on the top edge of the receiver part and tap that. Some plates slide off with light to medium tapping, and other require heavy blows. Watch the top edge of the dovetail which will move down when the receiver starts to drop off the dovetail.
It the receiver is complete, place the wood block under the jacket to elevate the receiver, lay a piece of hardwood across both plates just behind the trunnion and tap the wood. The wood will protect the metal so the top edges of the plates don't mushroom. Try to deliver the hammer blows to the center of the piece of wood in the middle of the receiver, or strike towards one side and the alternate to the other. If one plate moves up faster than the other, the rivets at the bottom plate can be stressed a bit which is not good. Symmetrical movement of the trunnion dovetail slots off the receiver dovetails is important. Once the friction bond of the dovetails has broken, the trunnion will slide up with help to keep the movement off the dovetails vertical. Hope this helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts