1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents Ive changed the title based on the recommendations you've provided. So hammer or air hammer for riveting???? Ive read the tutorial hosted on this site numerous times, Im ready to purchase an air compressor but I cant afford to purchase a 6hp 30 gallon varriant recomended it the tutorial. Have any of you built a 1919 with a more afordable 1.5hp or 2hp 10 gallon tank? Do the rivets really need that much force to require that much air? Im also a newb to air compressor so if this is a dumb question please go gentle :D

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
No. Heating the rivets in unnecessary and potentially even counterproductive -- and also a waste of time, energy and money. Use a proper rivet setting tool, a good set of rivets (not Sarco, etc,) a pair of Visegrip pliers to hold the setting tool, preferably by your assistant but even not too difficult alone, and any hammer you feel like swinging -- but don't go too heavy. Check your progress frequently for evenness, and maybe put some tape (electrician's, masking, whatever) around your rivet's base to help prevent putting 'moons' or 'half-moons' onto the underlying metal. It's not difficult and is an acquired skill seldom seen anymore. You could even go for a 20-ton press from Harbor Freight and a rivet setting tool from another board member, but unless you're doing dozens of parts set guns probably not worth it. Check out our member MSG's listings (http://1919a4.com/showthread.php?11...inks-and-Drill-bits-For-Sale&highlight=rivets) for any of your rivet, drill bits or setting tool needs in the riveting vein. He took over our board's riveting advice/business after I got out of it, and he's "the" recommended go-to guy now. Proper rivet sets are not easily put together, so his expertise at this is well worth it! A two-pound-or-so hammer and you're on your way!!!

Carry On!
Gary
><>

·
BeltFed GURU
4,433 Posts
You need to use a dome face punch member MSG offers them .It can be used in a muffler/air chisel gun or with just a hammer .
I did my first 3 with a small 20 gal compressor ,a muffler gun and a dome punch i made with a diamond ball burr to grind the pocket into the face of an air chisel . Came out nice all of them :D Sarco rivets none the less :eek:

A muffler gun draws about 4 Cfm @ 90 Psi , you can use a small compressor that has less than that output you just have to wait for the tank to charge back up and the run time is limited ,so you run for a while then wait ,sucks but hey it still works !!!

Heating rivets is not a good idea they are weaker than cold formed rivets .

To bad we do not have a rivet setting tutorial showing the many methods of setting rivets , Sam Alverez used a small punch worked around the edge to flare them out and work them into the countersink first then used a dome punch to finish them off . Not a method i have seen before ,i use a ball peen hammer ball worked around the edge my self for the big rivets .

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No. Heating the rivets in unnecessary and potentially even counterproductive -- and also a waste of time, energy and money. Use a proper rivet setting tool, a good set of rivets (not Sarco, etc,) and a pair of Visegrip pliers to hold the setting tool, preferably by your assistant, but even not too difficult alone. Check out our member MSG's listings for any of your needs in this vein. He took over our board's riveting advice/business after I got out of it, and he's "the" recommended go-to guy. A two-pound hammer and you're on your way!!!

Carry On!
Gary
><>
I am getting my rivets from him! Seems like a great guy. Where can I get a rivet tool from? Any links or members name to help? Is "MSG" the board members handle? I appreciate your gentlemens time!

·
BeltFed GURU
4,433 Posts
The punch from MSG ,the gun from any auto parts /automotive section of any big box store for about $30 max all are .401" tool shank in the gun .

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
usmc1488 ASKS: ".... Where can I get a rivet tool .... Is "MSG" the board members handle?"

Re-read my response, and watch who you call a "gentleman!"

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all!!!!! I love this board!

PS

Apparently some us were typing at the same time, apologies if it looked like I wasnt paying attention to one of your posts! :rolleyes:

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
Just for the record, if anyone is setting up to use toolman's Plinker's Fixture for the hydraulic press method, here is something to consider. If you don't anticipate using the press for much beyond this project, or if only for light use, then consider the 12 ton press. It's cheaper, and I used that for a whole ton of builds. Have used the 20 as well, but it is not needed for riveting.

·
Registered
7,891 Posts
yup - I actually got carried away with a PSL build and bent the bottom rear portion of the front trunnion when riveting with the 20 ton press. My own fault, but the point remains - 12 tons is PLENTY. ;)

·
Registered
177 Posts
The air Hammer is a mistake in my opinion. I used if the first time and it will be the last time. If it slips you come out with a nice half moon pattern all over the build. I have the Plinkers Jig and will use it the next time. If you do not have the Jig, take the time and get a good ballpeen hammer. You will appreciate your masterpiece.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts