1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y’all! You can call me Charlie, if you like. Not too many people call me chuckles irl, but I don’t mind either way. Anywho.. I’m a 27 year old factory worker who, earlier this year, decided I wanted a .50 BMG. Purely because “why not?” So, I put down some cash for a Serbu RN-50, and then promptly put down some more cash for the equipment to reload .50.. While scouring gunbroker for.. something, I don’t remember now if it was powder, or once fired brass, or projectiles.. I stumbled across some Browning M2HB parts.. And that got me started. I started buying one M2HB/M3 part a month, telling myself soon enough I’d be able to put a gun together.

well.. As I’m sure you’re all aware, there’s a lot of parts in a Browning! So I’m not super far along, haha. This whole time, I kept seeing the 1919A4 parts kits that parts kit depot had listed, and I told myself, “after you get all the parts for the .50, you should get a 1919 kit and build that first.”

Then the election happened. And, while I know it’s not over until it’s over, I decided it would be a wise move to get a parts kit and side plate now, while they’re there.

so.. Here I am! Completely new, but ready and willing to learn! I’ve got a question or two rolling around in my head that I’ll probably hop over to the build forum and ask. I’ve been trying the search function, because I’m sure they’re questions that have been asked before, and I hate to be “that guy”, but I guess I’m not searching the right things. Or maybe I’m not looking far enough through the results.. Who knows?

at any rate, thank you, kind people, and have a wonderful weekend!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Chuck
Welcome, you will find anything you want to know on the 1919 here and probably also the M2HB. If you can't find what your looking for just ask most the members here are more than happy to answer your questions. And there is normally some here who knows the answers.
Welcome to the beltfed addiction/hobby
Greg

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the forum Charlie, lots of good info here and plenty of help if needed. I suggest watching this video and get familiar with the operation.
Much appreciated! I’ll give it a watch! I’ve been watching Ian’s video on Forgotten Weapons of the semi-auto 1919A4 at work so much that today, my boss walked into the break room, looked at me, and went, “Again?!?” This’ll give me something to mix it up with! 🤪

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chuck
Welcome, you will find anything you want to know on the 1919 here and probably also the M2HB. If you can't find what your looking for just ask most the members here are more than happy to answer your questions. And there is normally some here who knows the answers.
Welcome to the beltfed addiction/hobby
Greg
Thank you! I’m sure I’ll have tons of questions.. Though hopefully the search function will be a help with at least some of them. 😊 Yeah.. It’s definitely already an addiction! I’m already planning out my paychecks to where, “after bills are paid, what do I want to get first?”

·
Premium Member
5,798 Posts
Welcome to the board as you already found out out there are many here willing to help and answer questions. Feel free to call anytime if I can help and good luck on the builds.

Reactions: Chuckles1225

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Welcome to the forum Charlie!!! Always good to have a beltfed brother join us. Where about in Michigan are you, there are a few of us here in the mitten state with that wicked witch governor.
CaptMax

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome to the forum Charlie!!! Always good to have a beltfed brother join us. Where about in Michigan are you, there are a few of us here in the mitten state with that wicked witch governor.
CaptMax
Hello, and thanks for the warm welcome! I’m from Tekonsha! Just a half-horse town. We don’t even have a stoplight, though we do have a McDonald’s and 4 gas stations. 😂
As far as the big Gretch goes.. Well, I just try to ignore most of what she says as best I can and let my ballot do the talking.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
CaptMax
Bad Governor?....Man, you dont even know what a bad governor is until you've lived in a state that banned all your guns overnight in a secret behind doors closed session. But I digress. (Max you know Im just harassing you)

Charlychuckles: LEARN all you can about the 50. Its not a forgiving gun. It WILL maim you, for real real. Not just normal gun kablooey, but kill you kind of kablooey.

I dont want to encourage panic shopping, but if you have the disposable income, buy kits while you can. I missed the boat in the early 2000's when the last of the parts kits were still affordable. 99 dollar AK's and 299 M1919 kits have long since gone up in price, but parts kits in general are quickly coming to and end. Lets not even mention what the current political scene may bring us.

Welcome aboard. (PS- if you have a significant other...you may want to buy them something nice NOW, as a pre-emptive strike against the ass chewing you are about to get for all the money you are going to spend on this addiction, errrr, hobby.....)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Charlychuckles: LEARN all you can about the 50. Its not a forgiving gun. It WILL maim you, for real real. Not just normal gun kablooey, but kill you kind of kablooey.
Definitely. That’s part of the reason I’ve been buying parts for it one at a time, as opposed to buying a kit from Gryphos, even though that would probably have saved me some cash in the long run. I’m also starting to lean heavily towards having someone else assemble that one, for me. Though, my pride (and ammo budget) would still like it if I could do some of it myself. Either way, slow and steady is the way to go.

I dont want to encourage panic shopping, but if you have the disposable income, buy kits while you can. I missed the boat in the early 2000's when the last of the parts kits were still affordable. 99 dollar AK's and 299 M1919 kits have long since gone up in price, but parts kits in general are quickly coming to and end. Lets not even mention what the current political scene may bring us.
Yep. I’m trying to decide what I want to get and stash away, (another 1919 kit? Maybe get a .50 kit from Gryphos and eventually have two .50’s? It’s tough to decide, when everything seems so fun and shiny..) Not to mention, an Israeli A6 kit, and a tripod, and all the stuff to reload .308..

Welcome aboard. (PS- if you have a significant other...you may want to buy them something nice NOW, as a pre-emptive strike against the ass chewing you are about to get for all the money you are going to spend on this addiction, errrr, hobby.....)
Thankfully, I’m single! Though, it would be nice to find someone who enjoys this hobby too, lol

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
My honest answer that a semi M2 is just a show trophy. They are awesome collectables if youve run out of other stuff to collect. M2's weigh almost 100 lbs and need a buttload of other gear to shoot. (tripods, cradles). They can be a beyotch to diagnose if they dont run right (especially a semi conversion). You say you already own a Serbu.....that gun will do more for you than a semi M2 ever will. Im kind of biased though, Ive spent my career working with full auto 50's. If I was given the choice between a M2 semi, a Barrett or a Serbu bolt, Id take the Serbu. Its just the most practical for the average dude. Dont let me talk you out of it though...if youve got money to burn, feel free to stimulate the economy!

Dont stress over the A6 kit. They suck ergonomically and make the gun stupid long. Get a spade grip and a tripod and its all you'll ever need. 1919's were just never a really good 1 man gun (man portable). The Germans really had us hands down with the 34 and the 42. It wasnt until the M60 that we even fielded a decent GPMG. (and the M60 was a whole other piece of sheet, thats another story for another time)

PS- Buy as many 3006 1919 kits as you can, followed by Izzy 308........If you can find MG42 kits with an intact nose, buy it, and ANY MG34 kit is an investment.

Ok, where was I going with this? Time for bed........

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My honest answer that a semi M2 is just a show trophy. They are awesome collectables if youve run out of other stuff to collect. M2's weigh almost 100 lbs and need a buttload of other gear to shoot. (tripods, cradles). They can be a beyotch to diagnose if they dont run right (especially a semi conversion). You say you already own a Serbu.....that gun will do more for you than a semi M2 ever will. Im kind of biased though, Ive spent my career working with full auto 50's. If I was given the choice between a M2 semi, a Barrett or a Serbu bolt, Id take the Serbu. Its just the most practical for the average dude. Dont let me talk you out of it though...if youve got money to burn, feel free to stimulate the economy!

Dont stress over the A6 kit. They suck ergonomically and make the gun stupid long. Get a spade grip and a tripod and its all you'll ever need. 1919's were just never a really good 1 man gun (man portable). The Germans really had us hands down with the 34 and the 42. It wasnt until the M60 that we even fielded a decent GPMG. (and the M60 was a whole other piece of sheet, thats another story for another time)

PS- Buy as many 3006 1919 kits as you can, followed by Izzy 308........If you can find MG42 kits with an intact nose, buy it, and ANY MG34 kit is an investment.

Ok, where was I going with this? Time for bed........
I do appreciate that! I think I’ll still keep going with the M2/3 kit- I’m already too deep in the expensive parts, I feel like if I stop I’d be stuck between wanting to finish it and losing (at least some of) the money I’ve already spent. It’s always been an “I’ll get it purely because I can” thing, I suppose. If I never got it, or at least never tried, I feel like I’d wind up looking back and going,“Well, I should have done that when I had the chance.”

While I’m here.. I hate to ask pricing, but.. If it’s not gonna be too taboo to ask, what would a good price for a .30-06 kit be? I see one listed on GB for $2100, says it was bought from APEX in ‘98 and never opened. (No pictures, of course.) Granted, not something I could do right now spur-of-the moment, anyway. Not for $2100, lol. And I suppose if I’m this far in.. What tripod should I be looking for? And what would be a decent price for it? I see a bunch of different tripods out there, claiming to be for the 1919, or adaptable.. I know the M2 is the standard.. Are there decent reproductions around? Or are there just so many USGI tripods our there that they’re fairly cheap?
For what it’s worth, I do like the Ultimate II 1919 tripod adapter sold by Beltfed Shooter Mounts on gunbroker.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I like semi-auto beltfeds, including the M2. Eventually I'd like to get into transferables. The way I see it, if you're young and in decent shape, it's not that big of a deal to take out and set up. I work on a computer all day and I don't mind. If you remove the barrel, it's a lot more manageable. All that weight makes it so smooth and pleasant to shoot. Not needing a muzzle brake for recoil reduction is a major plus. I knew I needed an M2 after shooting a 1919A4 and otherwise only shooting 50 BMG in single shots and a Barrett. If figured it would be really nice if the M2 does for 50 BMG what the 1919 does for 7.62x51, and it absolutely does.

·
Premium Member
5,798 Posts
Plus one for Rob Brassington's videos on you tube they are great and I wish they were out years ago (y) They are a great learning tool and he has done so many different guns. He is a great guy and Dolf and I have been feeding him drawings for the past few years so if anyone here would like to see other guns he has not done yet shoot me a pm and I will see what he can do as we chat often.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks again guys! I had my parts kit come in on Friday, but between work and church stuff, I didn’t get much time to look at it. Everything seems pretty greasy, which is good.. Looks like I do have to drill out a few rivets left over from the right side plate, but as their heads are gone, it shouldn’t be too much work to get them out of the way! Here’s hoping, anyway..

I’ll be giving you a shout sometime fairly soon, Russ! Though I won’t do it over the holiday and whatnot. I’ll probably drop you a line first to figure out when would be a good time. I hate to just call people out of the blue, even when I know they’re expecting it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts