1919 A4 Forums banner

I bought he wrong T&E

4K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  47lincsled 
#1 ·
When I saw that guy listing those tripods on ebay I bought one and figured I should get a T&E unit for it, and not knowing what I was doing I bought a really nice unit, but I think it's for the .50 tripod, the U shaped piece that is supposed to slide on the bar is 1 inch instead of 3/4,so now I have to figure out what to do. Can I swap that bar out with one from a 30 cal tripod? Or can I swap out the body of the T&E unit? If all else fails I could cut a bushing out of some 1/8 brass and JB weld it into the existing body!

#3 ·
There is an adapter part that fits the "U" shaped part of your T&E.
There were/are new made ....Factory military parts...hard to find...But I DID.
A member here has built these in the past...He's up north somewhere.
Perhaps He will chime in if He see's this.

I have one of His units...very nice quality.

#5 ·
traverse bar

Does the traverse bar from the 50 cal tripod bolt into the space of the 30 cal bar? I was going to cut the ends off and weld a bigger tube in till I got cleaning it up and realized the bar has markings on it! They are covered in the dark green paint that the whole tripod is painted, but the T&E has scraped some off and I can see the white markings, not that most people will ever notice the markings, most people that get their hands on the grip of a 1919 are smiling so big that little things are over looked.

#7 ·
I slid a piece of three quarter EMT over mine. these 50 T&E will work on that. You may have to adjust the locking screw a little bit but that is not hard. I plan on turning a one inch rod to fit the original brackets, just haven't done it yet. When I get around to it if you want one let me know.

#8 ·
There is an adapter that was made to use the 50 t&e with the 30 pod. I had a couple a while back but sold them. Not sure if they were GI, but looked like it. Hope that helps, nice little piece that slips right in and works well.

Guess I should have read the other posts that say the same thing first! lol

Big44maghunter - Brad

#9 ·
I am not sure if the end pieces are the same on the .30 and .50 cal traverse bars but even if they were the length is also critical. Too long and the tripod will open but the bar would be at an angle and the T&E will not work. Too short and the legs will not spread fully. Maybe someone on the site has the dimensions. The body of the T&E (actually called the "Sleeve") is not interchangeable as the threads are different (been there).

#11 ·
FWIW

I just fixed that problem with mine. A buddy gave me a .50 T&E, so I simply turned down a 3/4" ID piece of Iron pipe section to fit inside the "U" of the T&E (3" piece with the threads cut off works out to the right width). File a slot that allows the tension screw to pass vertically through the pipe section.
Adjust the tension screw so it can tighten and release on the existing bar.

Cost about 2.50 at home depot.

#12 ·
T&E fix

I was scrounging in the bone yard the other day and found a piece of stainless pipe, the inside diameter was a snug fit over the old bar, the outside diameter was just a little small but the T&E slides on it very nicely, of course this don't allow the locking device to work.
kahnmann2010, any chance you could post a picture of how you did yours,I can't quite follow the description,thanks.

#13 ·
Sounds like he cut the threads off a 3" pipe nipple that fit over the existing bar, turned the OD down to fit inside the slide way of the T&E, then carved a passage way through the nipple's metal for the screw to impinge on the inner, existing bar to lock it in place. The screw itself would keep it in place in the T&E. Sounds simple, cheap and effective. No way to see the windage increments inside, but hey, whaddya want for three bucks, right??
Very nice!:)
I like simple.

#15 ·
T&e fix

I was getting the 3 inch length mixed up with diameter, it's hell getting old! Can you get enough length out of the slide stop, I couldn't figure out how to adjust it at all let alone going through an additional piece of material. Thanks for the pics!

#18 ·
Fixed

I've been working on my 57mm AT gun and haven't had time to dig around the bone yard to find a piece of pipe, today I had no choice but to slow down a little so I found a piece of pipe that was a little large on the bar, but I flattened it out so it fit snugly in the T&E and it was a perfect fit on the bar,I just drilled a hole in it and realized it won't allow the T&E to come off the bar, which might be a good thing, not sure yet, if not I'll open the hole into a slot. I used a little Birchwood Casey liquid blue to hide the piece, when I'm done with the AT gun I plan on taking the bar back off and bead blasting then reblue it, it gives a very respectable parkerizing look.

#20 ·
T&e fix

Thanks, when I get caught up on other projects I'll play with it and take it out to the range and see how well it works,I have access to a lather so it wouldn't be too big a deal to turn out a bushing that fits a little better, but for now it works,I plan to display the gun on the tripod during the up coming car show that I will take the half-track too, set up some sand bags, should give some kids a kick!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.