1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,022 Posts
...the case of auction bidding...

Had to look...LOL. The last 2-bidders...one had only 8-transactions,the other 21....just drove the bids up. Apparently,neither one of them have any idea of the worth of 1919 items. 'nuf said.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
From the markings and part numbers the barrel is a post war manufacture probably for a M37 Tank gun
The Drawing actually dates from Jan 11, 1952 and this barrel was originally for the M1919A4/fixed and flexible/A5 and later the A4E1 and the M37. The "Eagle in a box with the stars" succeeded the flaming bomb in 1947 when the Department of Defense replaced the War Department and the Air Force became a separate branch rather than an Army Corps.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
Yep, someone didn't do their due diligence. Well, the four of these stellite barrels I just picked up at the Creek just went WAY up in my retail pricing! :firedevil:

Aw, heck, they are for gun builds anyway, so they will be priced in at a fair value, not crazy like this auction. Have an M37 build to do soon, then put it up for sale, so one will go in there. The seller on this one has to be smiling, but I would feel guilty... maybe!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yep, someone didn't do their due diligence. Well, the four of these stellite barrels I just picked up at the Creek just went WAY up in my retail pricing! :firedevil:

Aw, heck, they are for gun builds anyway, so they will be priced in at a fair value, not crazy like this auction. Have an M37 build to do soon, then put it up for sale, so one will go in there. The seller on this one has to be smiling, but I would feel guilty... maybe!
The issues with over priced auctions like that is people start to think that it is the normal price, just because someone just had to have it right now.

I love capitalism don't get me wrong. :alright: Awesome for the seller! It's just sad the buyer was uninformed or impatient.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I was one of the idiot bidders. And yes I know that was crazy money for a Stellite barrel. Of course on the flip side everyone says they are worth $150 to $200 but in looking for over a year I have seen only one for sale and it went for close to $400 and none of the usual places have then any more. Granted I might find one at Knob Creek but the last 4 shoots in a row I have had conflicts and couldn't get up there but fortunately it only 2 hours away so maybe in the fall.

Also I am experienced at auctions and have been to hundreds of live ones and participated in thousands online. My business was outfitted for pennies on the dollar so after a few rounds I could tell the guy was determined to have it so part of it was for amusement to see how high he would go. And yes, I could have been stuck with it but in the scheme of things I would have had a new Stellite barrel. I have the chance to buy 50,000 rounds of surplus .30-06 and i currently have only 1 Stellite barrel (that I paid $70 for although it's not new but good) and several steel barrels both new and used that were all less than $70. And I have a have dozen chrome .308 barrels that are mostly new and again all less than $75 so I have some room to splurge on one barrel. Of course some of those came with the gun and there is no way to price those because it was a package that included a linker with 10,000 links, a belt loader with dozens of belts, a WWII tripod, a Jeep mount, spare parts, ammo boxes, blanks, tool, manuals and more.

And I realize I could get 4 to 6 NOS steel barrels for the price of that one that would last just as many rounds combined so that is why I quit and I guessed he was getting close top his limit. I had original set my limit at $300 but when I saw that he was hell bent on getting it I decided to see how it went.

So I will shoot out the barrels I have for now and keep looking for a Stellite. I may pass on the .30-06 since I already have a lot of it and of .308 and I don't have a good or regular place to shoot so I can even use up the barrels and ammo I have. That is a bigger issue than finding barrels or ammo.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I was one of the idiot bidders. And yes I know that was crazy money for a Stellite barrel. Of course on the flip side everyone says they are worth $150 to $200 but in looking for over a year I have seen only one for sale and it went for close to $400 and none of the usual places have then any more. Granted I might find one at Knob Creek but the last 4 shoots in a row I have had conflicts and couldn't get up there but fortunately it only 2 hours away so maybe in the fall.

Also I am experienced at auctions and have been to hundreds of live ones and participated in thousands online. My business was outfitted for pennies on the dollar so after a few rounds I could tell the guy was determined to have it so part of it was for amusement to see how high he would go. And yes, I could have been stuck with it but in the scheme of things I would have had a new Stellite barrel. I have the chance to buy 50,000 rounds of surplus .30-06 and i currently have only 1 Stellite barrel (that I paid $70 for although it's not new but good) and several steel barrels both new and used that were all less than $70. And I have a have dozen chrome .308 barrels that are mostly new and again all less than $75 so I have some room to splurge on one barrel. Of course some of those came with the gun and there is no way to price those because it was a package that included a linker with 10,000 links, a belt loader with dozens of belts, a WWII tripod, a Jeep mount, spare parts, ammo boxes, blanks, tool, manuals and more.

And I realize I could get 4 to 6 NOS steel barrels for the price of that one that would last just as many rounds combined so that is why I quit and I guessed he was getting close top his limit. I had original set my limit at $300 but when I saw that he was hell bent on getting it I decided to see how it went.

So I will shoot out the barrels I have for now and keep looking for a Stellite. I may pass on the .30-06 since I already have a lot of it and of .308 and I don't have a good or regular place to shoot so I can even use up the barrels and ammo I have. That is a bigger issue than finding barrels or ammo.
Thanks for posting your side of the story. I doubt there is anyone on this board that hasn't found themselves in a similar situation.

·
Registered
7,022 Posts
...yep...

Old saying from Clint Eastwood's "For a few dollars more"(?)..."A man has to know his limitations". You have to be able to determine when to say 'NO More'....or get caught up in the heat of the moment. Caught myself several times bidding on stamp auctions....and quit before I spent waaayyy too much.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Old saying from Clint Eastwood's "For a few dollars more"(?)..."A man has to know his limitations". You have to be able to determine when to say 'NO More'....or get caught up in the heat of the moment. Caught myself several times bidding on stamp auctions....and quit before I spent waaayyy too much.
I do know when to say no and like I said I have participated in hundreds of auctions both live and online. But I was prepared to spend it because new Stellite barrels are rarer than hen's teeth these days. I had a pretty good feel that I wouldn't be stuck with it but was prepared to buy it if I won.

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
I could tell the guy was determined to have it so part of it was for amusement to see how high he would go.
A friend of mine just did this on two traverse locks and they both went extremely high, one for over $700 and one went for over $800.
He didn't get either as he came to his senses. :rofl::rofl::rofl:
CaptMax

·
Registered
44 Posts
lined barrel

There was a barrel with the same part number in white paint/ink on it that sold over a month ago on Ebay for around $250.00 if I remember correctly. The seller listed it in excellent, unused condition but it was just the barrel, no shipping sleeve.
The manufacturer escapes me.

stingray656667

·
Registered
35 Posts
There was a barrel with the same part number in white paint/ink on it that sold over a month ago on Ebay for around $250.00 if I remember correctly. The seller listed it in excellent, unused condition but it was just the barrel, no shipping sleeve.
The manufacturer escapes me.

stingray656667
I saw that and was in it for almost enough but got sniped. That was the first Stellite barrel I had seen in many months so when the Gunbroker one came up I said I would get it and probably not need another ever with the other barrels I have both. 308 and. 30-06.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts