1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I volunteered to clean my local American Legions M1 Garands the other day. Four nice weapons, all a bit neglected and gummed up. Four hours later, I had em all spiffed up and ready to go. The guys gave me a free membership and welcomed me back. Im a Army National guard recruiter and I did this as a networking opportunity, but I heard some really neat stories. If you guys ever get a chance, head down (American Legion or VFW) and ask if they need help, its well worth your time....

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
You are SOOOO right! I was actually elected by my VFW Post as "Post armorer" a few years ago when I had my FFL. Being a continuous member since before my 19th birthday, it wasn't too hard to convince some of the "crusty" members. It's pretty neat seeing the un-cut op-rods and serial numbers in the EARLY WWII days. The '03's are chromed, and the 1917 Enfields are never used. 12 weapons altogether... and once a month they all get cleaned, needed or not!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have done that for two posts in my area. a great pleasure and an honor. They both wanted to pay me, I told them absolutly not!! A nice thing to do for our vets.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Did it for the local post here. Those Garands were in dire need of cleaning too. Those blanks sure leave a mess.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I visited our local VFW a year or so ago for the first time. Believe it or not they are still using Krag Jorgensons. Some are chrome some not. I have no idea where they get their blanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts