1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all.

I completely tore down my transferable 1919A6, put all the parts into a separate parts tub, cleaned everything, reassembled it, and ended up with one small spring left over. I looks like it out to be a detent spring of some sort, but while reassembling everything I didn't notice any missing parts. Does anyone know what spring this is?

It's possible the spring is from another gun. I had taken several guns apart and put everything in separate parts bins (to keep from mixing parts), but I suppose it might have somehow snuck into the 1919 bin.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Greg

Brass Screw Metal Bullet Copper

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like the spring that goes under the belt holding pawl.
Mines still there. And it's a bit more tapered and wound a little less tight than the one in the photo above. There's only one spring under the pawl, right?

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Dang, I really hate it when I have "parts left over"! If it's something from Ikea, I don't usually worry about it. Even my hot-rod hydroplane ran great after rebuilding the engine and having a washer or two left over. But a firearm? I'd make sure from where it came before firing. I think there's a detent ball and spring in the hand grip if you've take the recoil spacers out.

Carry On!
Gary
><>

·
Registered
588 Posts
Mines still there. And it's a bit more tapered and wound a little less tight than the one in the photo above. There's only one spring under the pawl, right?

Yes sir, only one spring.
Looks like GWR1 nailed it, check your back plate.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I'm not sure here, but isn't there a spring about that size under the front sight?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think there's a detent ball and spring in the hand grip if you've take the recoil spacers out.
Yes sir, only one spring. Looks like GWR1 nailed it, check your back plate.
I didn't disassemble the grip/back plate at all. I've also been using the spade grips from OOW, but as far as I can tell it only has one spring (and it's there). I'll check the original back plate/grip though, just in case.

I looked through all of the pinned posts that include the photos, etc. from the manuals and field books. Anytime I see a small spring that might be the one in question, it's one that's installed. I need to look at my rear sight again, though - maybe it's a detent spring from that? Though I didn't remove the rear sight.

It's definitely puzzling. I'm leaning more towards it being a spring from something else... because I did have 3 or 4 different disassembled at the same time. I tried to be as careful as possible about keeping all the parts separated in their own bins... but you know how it goes sometimes.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not sure here, but isn't there a spring about that size under the front sight?
There is - there's a detent ball/spring that helps keep the front sight locked in the open or closed position. And the one on mine still has the detent ball/spring.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
That does look like the belt holding pawl spring, which is just under 5/32" diameter. The front sight detent spring is about 1/4" diameter and an inch long. Don't confuse the belt HOLDING pawl spring with the belt FEED pawl spring in the top cover assembly, which is a tapered one. The holding pawl is the one on the left side of the feedway.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't confuse the belt HOLDING pawl spring with the belt FEED pawl spring in the top cover assembly, which is a tapered one. The holding pawl is the one on the left side of the feedway.
I didn't remove the holding pawl assembly... looked like too much of a pain at the time and was easy enough to clean the receiver without removing it. So that holding pawl spring is still there.

I'm planning to take the 1919 out today, so I'll bring the unknown spring with me just in case... but I have this sneaking suspicion it doesn't belong to the 1919. I suppose we'll find out. :)

·
Registered
312 Posts
Spring

Cannot remember seeing that spring before but I rarely disassemble my gun to that extent. Looks like a strong little bugger. Maybe a detent spring like you suggested. If it were a front sight spring, obviously the front sight would flop up and down.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
It can be frustrating. I have several small plastic containers with various unidentified springs and pins. That one looks too small for an M1919. The only thing I can think of that is that diameter are the two springs in the tripod catch. But it does not appear long enough for that. I have several springs like that the are associated with a plunger. I don't know what they are for either, possibly the M1911 pistol and maybe the M1 Carbine. I have the problem because years ago I was able to purchases GI surplus tool boxes which often had some gun parts in them mostly small like screws pins and springs and mostly useless to me.

If everything seems to work it probably came from something else. If the gun malfunctions you will know. Just so it is not the "explosion prevention spring" that keeps the gun from exploding in your face when fired.
Of course there is no such spring.

Speaking of exploding, the exploded diagrams in the Tech Manuals show only two possibilities that I can see. The previously mentioned back plate pin and the "extractor cam plunger spring." Unless of course it was from the front sight which has two similar springs.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi, all!

Sorry for taking so long to circle back with this thread. I am now more convinced than ever that the spring in my original post is from another source. On the 4th of July we put twelve 100-round belts through Betty (that’s the name of my 1919A6 :) ) without any issues that were attributed to the gun. We had a couple of feeding issues, but that was really more due to the first-time ammo feeders spending too much time watching the rounds impacting downrange and not enough time paying attention to how the belt was feeding into the gun. Hard to blame them for that, though, since pretty much everyone we were with was fairly new to MGs in general. But when I was feeding the belts we had zero stoppages… well, until after the 100th round each time. :)

So, everyone’s input has been greatly appreciated, but I think we can rule out that spring belonging to this 1919.

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
Glad to here Betty ran like a top! Thanks for letting us all know the spring was just an extra but now you have a seed part so it is your responsibilitry to figure out what it is for and build the rest of the gun around it :tongue: Good luck with that.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Sure made you stop and check everything out didn't it :lol:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi, all.

Here’s a video my friend took of my wifey running through a 100-round belt on Independence Day. As you can see, it was running like a top. Sure doesn’t take long to get through 100 rounds of M2 ball.

The video quality is terrible. I blame that on my friend – if I had known his Galaxy 5 would take such a terrible low-res video, I would have handed him my Galaxy 7 and asked him to use that one… machine guns deserve super HD! LOL Lesson learned. But I do take full credit for the video editing job, such as it was. :)

But I think you’ll still get the gist of how well this 1919A6 runs.

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

·
Registered
132 Posts
probably too small but figured i'd mention it.... it's not the tripod leg locking spring, huh? I've had one of those fall out before.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
probably too small but figured i'd mention it.... it's not the tripod leg locking spring, huh? I've had one of those fall out before.
Nope. At least I don't think so... the locking lever worked like a charm, so I don't that's it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Perhaps rear sight windage knob detent spring. Looks like the one I just fought for two f***ing hours. J
Nope. That's one's still in there, too. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts