1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like most of us here, Ive got a few EDC knives that are just showing their age. By EDC I mean opening boxes, cutting 550 cord, opening MREs and the occasional zip tie. (Those friggen zip ties are made of titanium, I swear)

I just cannot sharpen a knife to save my life. For years I tried stones and just cant keep the right angle. I wind up just scratching the blade to hell and making all sorts of swirl marks. Several years ago 'pull thru' sharpeners became available everywhere and I bought a few and had great success but Im starting to do more damage than good. Knives that took a good edge with a pull thru are now just 'ok'. I dont own any real expensive knives (Gerbers and Schrade are top of the line for me) so Im not worried about wearing down or ruining blades, I just want a good, sharp knife. They are tools, Im not afraid to use them as intended. You guys got any suggestions for a fool proof sharpener that can a render a blade slightly better than a chain restaurant steak knife?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Lansky makes a ok set up, have mine 30 plus years it think, little bit to set up properly but it works, once set up don’t plan on putting back in storage box. Just keep fingers where they say to and they won’t become detached from the rest of your hand, oh good set of crock sticks for light touch ups.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Very spendy, but the Wicked Edge sharpeners do a good job. I have gotten to where I carry a small folding box cutter with replaceable blades in my pocket along with a conventional knife for the sort of chores you describe

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very spendy, but the Wicked Edge sharpeners do a good job. I have gotten to where I carry a small folding box cutter with replaceable blades in my pocket along with a conventional knife for the sort of chores you describe
Yikes, you werent kidding about the Wicked Edge system being pricy. Thats way more than Ill spend to maintian a few 50 dollar knives. I carry too much sheet with me all day as it is, I dont want to add another tool. I may just have to deal with replacing knives every 6-10 months. Are there any decent spring loaded drag thru systems? I see them advertised from basic to advanced, Id like to try one if it is more than a gimmick.

·
Registered
99 Posts
There is one called the Warthog that does a decent job. I would look into the folding knives that take box cutter blades. I like those a lot

·
Registered
317 Posts
I had good results with the Lansky sharpener but took way too long to get the initial edge if it needed a new angle or in poor shape, especially on the harder blades. It's much easier to keep them sharp than to grind away after you let the edge get totally beat up. I gave up on manual sharpeners years ago and started using the Chefs Choice electric sharpener and never looked back. You can get them for about $100 or so. When your blades get dull it's easy to touch them up as you aren't changing the edge angle again. For a really sharp edge you need to retain whatever angle you use consistently as you sharpen, tough to do by hand, everybody rocks a bit.

I still have lots of stones and steel that I used to carry into the field to re-sharpen my knife as I cut up moose as one knife won't stay sharp enough to finish the job and they never got back to the razor sharp edge you really need anyway. The stones and steel just collect dust now as I take 4-5 pre-sharpened knives done with the Chefs Choice and just grab another when the edge becomes dull. The touch up work at home is fast as it's electric and the angle stays the same as the sharpener guides it for you.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I gave up on manual sharpeners years ago and started using the Chefs Choice electric sharpener and never looked back.
I looked at a few of the Chefs choice models and saw anywhere from 40 bucks to 200. Im tempted to buy the entry level model if its at all capable. Can these sharpeners fit larger (thick, wide) blades like the bigger Gerbers or (GASP......) a bayonet?

Dont judge me. We ALL own at least one cheap bayo that we want to sharpen.......just for kicks.... 😁

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I looked at a few of the Chefs choice models and saw anywhere from 40 bucks to 200. Im tempted to buy the entry level model if its at all capable. Can these sharpeners fit larger (thick, wide) blades like the bigger Gerbers or (GASP......) a bayonet?

Dont judge me. We ALL own at least one cheap bayo that we want to sharpen.......just for kicks.... 😁
I forget what model I have seems like it was around $100 but I sharpened one of those repo long M1 garand bayonet with it the ones that had no edge what so ever. Took a while but it did the job.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts