1919 A4 Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
That’s nice, I like that little guy.
what make and model?
You can tell it is a heavy 10 by the “half nut lever” on the apron. (lever all the way to the right on the apron)
The heavy 10 is a two piece lever vs the 10k (light) that has a one piece design.

·
Registered
169 Posts
For perspective my bed on the SB 13 is 60” bed.

SB lathe measures the total bed length including under the headstock. This is the way SB measures them and doesn’t apply to all manufacturer.

I don’t know much about new ones. They were all out of my budget. Haha

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Went back and looked and mine is actually shown on data plate as 4 1/2' bed. Grizzly now owns the South Bend brand and a few years ago I stopped by the Springfield, MO showroom where they had several new SB lathes. They may be fine, and I'm not sure where they're made, but they looked like cheap import lathes to me. I wouldn't want one without doing a lot of homework first.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Went back and looked and mine is actually shown on data plate as 4 1/2' bed. Grizzly now owns the South Bend brand and a few years ago I stopped by the Springfield, MO showroom where they had several new SB lathes. They may be fine, and I'm not sure where they're made, but they looked like cheap import lathes to me. I wouldn't want one without doing a lot of homework first.
Yeaahhhhh I just saw that. I’m going to end up buying a 70’s or 80’s machine I think.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Where you are at, I'd suggest a considerable expansion in the names of lathe manufactures. If you were in the old industrial northeast, you can wait for the exact model. Not so much in the desert southwest.

In general any 'merican iron made between 1940 and 1990 is going to work well. Your number one criteria should be how large a machine. I do 90+% of my work on a Monarch 10EE its 12" by 20" bed with a 1.45" spindle hole. Barrel work is difficult but doable on this machine. The Monarch is possibly the finest machine ever made for a hobbyist. I also have a leblond 15"x72" with a 2" spindle hole.- another wonderful machine. If I were you, I'd say this machine is too long for your needs. There are a great many sizes of Leblond. I used to run a Dinuchi 12x36. Great machine that nobody ever heard of. The price on these can be quite attractive.

Cruise eBay for lathe names and sizes that fit your needs. Then add them to your search.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thank you. I’m in Boulder City Nevada. Not much to choose from here. I’m looking at shipping no matter what I find. Off brands are great as long as they perform and off brand prices are great too.

·
Registered
169 Posts
To add to the above comment on other brands. Completely true!
I have friends with:
Monarch
Logan
Sheldon

I can’t speak to the details on models for any of these other brands but know they are good names to consider.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Thank you. I’m in Boulder City Nevada. Not much to choose from here. I’m looking at shipping no matter what I find. Off brands are great as long as they perform and off brand prices are great too.
Mike Duke, Thanks for posting Mike, from long ago expirience, in a manufacturing co., in PHX, we had a Harding gearhead machineinsts lathe. Tool and die maker was using it for prototype tooling inhouse use.
If you want the maximum precision, and a low milege use, these Hardings are the ones, I remember they sold theirs with all related tooling of 30+ yrs, for: $ 1500.00 or so. If you regularly check PHX Craigslist, several days ago there were several Laithes there, under Machinists Tools, and Industrial Equipment category. The size of bed, and swing in this category of tools does matter, it just depends on what you need, the old abused U.S. made ones can be had cheap. I hope it helps you. Jim.

·
Premium Member
5,796 Posts
Mike if you find one in the North East and need a hand with the shipping just shout because I am glad to help. Check the Rochester, NY area because there are number of machines here and they go cheap unlike other parts of the country.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts