1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a used 08/15 muzzle booster that needs to be disassembled and cleaned. But, it's frozen up solid. It looks like somebody tried to heat it up and disassemble it. They were less than successful. Can anybody out there disassemble this little beastie as I don't want to mess it up more than it is.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Soak it in a container of transmission fluid (used fluid is OK) for about a week, then give it a try. Long shot, but cheap and easy.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Soak it in a container of transmission fluid (used fluid is OK) for about a week, then give it a try. Long shot, but cheap and easy.
Transmission fluid and acetone mix. Let it soak. Heat it up......now for the crazy part.....while its still hot, lay a candle (the little tea cup ones are perfect) and let the wax melt into it.

I called bull$hit too until I was at a dead end working on some suspension parts on my Corvette. Impact gun, breaker bar, nothing was working. In desperation I tried this method.....put the impact gun back on and it zipped right off.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Transmission fluid and acetone mix. Let it soak. Heat it up......now for the crazy part.....while its still hot, lay a candle (the little tea cup ones are perfect) and let the wax melt into it.

I called bull$hit too until I was at a dead end working on some suspension parts on my Corvette. Impact gun, breaker bar, nothing was working. In desperation I tried this method.....put the impact gun back on and it zipped right off.
A 50/50 mix of trans fluid and acetone has been proven to be THE #1 rusty nut buster by university studies. I forget which one did the study.
It should probably fit in a quart jar with a tight fitting lid to keep the acetone from evaporating too fast.

I can see where a tight fitting joint in a hot object would wick wax into itself rather deeply. Not so hot it smokes, though. That would just make it worse.

Good luck. :)

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Yes I have used ATF fluid and isopropal in a 50/50 mix with great results.
My G43 had a frozen gas piston and finally after several days of soaking with Kroil and Hoppes it finally let loose and came off.
Persistence and patience is the key.
CaptMax

1 - 5 of 5 Posts