1919 A4 Forums banner

I need help with a technical issue and a vehicle

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  R.S.Mtn. 
#1 ·
I have searched for a dash camera, and I can't find one that meets the requirements that I am looking for. I am trying to find something that draws power from the car, records both inside and outside of the car, and that I can plug a 1TB hard drive into.

My question is does anyone know how to modify any existing products to do what I want? The main issue that I keep running into is that I can't find a product that will allow me to plug a large enough memory stick into.

I have bought a Vantru NU2 Pro in the past and I found that to be a garbage product. So what are your other recommendations?

#3 · (Edited)
I have 2 friends that used to do the “getaway in Stockholm” kind of videos. They both used GoPro cameras. I would check the GoPro out, I believe the newer cameras will take a 1TB card.

BTW if y’all have never seen any of the getaway series here you go. This is my favorite with the Toyota Supra and Ford Cosworth.

#5 ·
I have 2 friends that used to do the “get away in Stockholm” kind of videos. They both used GoPro cameras. I would check the GoPro out, I believe the newer cameras will take a 1TB card.
I looked at their website and they do not have a dedicated camera that is intended as a daily dash camera. Just cameras that require me to turn them on manually with every use and that I would need a lot of spare batteries since they can't draw power from the car.

Doesn't Tinder have an app for that :p
let me ask Rick ;) :ROFLMAO:

#9 ·
Yes that is exactly why, I do a lot of driving and do not always have enough space on a sim card.

The feature I hated about the vantru I had was that it would only accept a 32GB sim card and for some reason it started corrupting the video files after a month or so. It would only do 30 sec clips, I tried a new sim card and sending it in for replacement. The replacement ended up having the same issue

#10 ·
As you’ve already noticed in your search it’s pretty limited as far as storage with most cams taking 32/64gb sd cards. I asked a buddy that works for an electronics distributor and he recommended Garmin, some of them will take a 512gb card. I’m not sure you will find a dedicated dash cam capable of taking a 1TB card.

#13 ·
How much do you want to spend? The reason I ask is I could recommend a true professional solution but its going to make your head spin and your pockets empty.
There are expensive wearables and mobile vehicle mount systems, up to vandal grade multi camera systems with audio such as would be used on public transportation. They are streamed 4g and it gets uploaded to a network server with a hard drive. You have to use a computer or an app to access the video streaming software. Then set up an account with a security network data provider to handle the storage unless you have your own network solution.
If you are attempting to use video footage in a courtroom as evidence that is a whole new level. There is only one source that I know of that has a security solution with chain of custody of handling raw video documentation accepted as proof unmodified unmolested evidence in a court room. What I'm getting at what your intended need might not be admissible and that is up to you to find out the legal proposition of what you are using. That might be the first start. After that and you want to go into the professional market send me a PM.
Aaron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.