1919 A4 Forums banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Im not a lawyer, and I dont try to interpret a lot of these laws simply because I get so frustrated. But, I am a FFL dealer (very low volume) and THIS WILL put me out business if I have to pay for a fully monitored system that abides by these new rules.

NY bill s4970A, Section B, states- (Im paraphrasing) that anyone engaged in the act of selling firearms must have a professionally installed and centrally monitored security system.

Is this actually part of a passed law, or did it get left on the cutting room floor in its final form? Ive dug deeply and just get caught in 'refer to bill such and such' which takes me to another 'refer to bill such and such'. Is there anyone who has any formal training in this area that can see just what is going on with this section of the bill?

(PLEASE do not turn this into a thread about what constitutes a professionally installed system....all I need to know is if this one provision has passed and is now an enforceable law)
Scott - is that part of Hanoi hochuls latest round of anti-gun bills?

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
“The government you elect is the government you deserve.”
― Thomas Jefferson

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I don't know about NY law, but IL has similar provisions requiring security cameras, although with exemptions for appointment-only FFLs. You could check for language like that.

Thanks for the news on Bruen, @OLDIRONSIGHT
Ive looked. Its all inclusive, ANYONE dealing in firearm sales has to have recordded, monitored and profesionally installed cameras. Im literally a 'kitchen table' dealer.....so I need a centrally monitored camera in my kitchen. I understand the intent here, but this is going to be damn near impossible for me to comply with.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Ive looked. Its all inclusive, ANYONE dealing in firearm sales has to have recordded, monitored and profesionally installed cameras. Im literally a 'kitchen table' dealer.....so I need a centrally monitored camera in my kitchen. I understand the intent here, but this is going to be damn near impossible for me to comply with.
I'm not reading that. I read it that it requires a security alarm system that's capable of being monitored by a central station and a camera system that covers entrances from both sides and point of sale with 2 years of history. The first part is a typical alarm system, you can get monitoring for as low as $18 a month. I don't see anything that the cameras have to be monitored, just that they store 2 years of video. I get that it's still some cost though...

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I'm not reading that. I read it that it requires a security alarm system that's capable of being monitored by a central station and a camera system that covers entrances from both sides and point of sale with 2 years of history. The first part is a typical alarm system, you can get monitoring for as low as $18 a month. I don't see anything that the cameras have to be monitored, just that they store 2 years of video. I get that it's still some cost though...
'The dealer location shall additionally be equipped
with a video recording device at each point of sale'

Literally my kitchen table.

I guess its going to come down to what a system that complies is going to cost and how far they are willing to enforce it. I like the simply safe idea (Im already running a Blink system) but the law also states that it has to be 'professionally installed' . Seriously , the implications here are that unless you have a traditional brick and mortar store, its going to cost us more than its worth.

·
13,221 Posts
If you don’t already have an alarm system, Thats a bad move on you. I don’t care how safe you feel the area is.

I’ll search for some video options that have a two year retention. Make you point of sale, your office or a single desk in a corner and make that your go to place for all transactions. Point the camera there

·
Registered
367 Posts
Turn that frown upside down. Find the silver lining. Make sure you write the whole cost off. Can't argue it's a business expense if it's mandatory. Being a home based business, you gain the benefit of monitoring your home. What constituts a professional? I won't take most of my belongings to a "professional". I'm willing to bet you are more professional than any guy showing up in a X uniform. Last system I bought was a Walmart (owl something) night owl I think... 1 trig is a lot of recicording for you. Only recorded activity. Seriously how much activity do you do in 2 years being home based?

·
Registered
216 Posts
ScottD, I did forget to mention, that that same Simply Safe does have, and tied to sell us a "Professional Install" option, but it was optional, and on sale it was $70-150 one time fee, depending on the SQ footage of the premises and the number of sensors, cameras and remotes to be programmed that you pick for your system. We had chosen the self install, but they kept offering the professional one, even many months later, when the whole thing is up and running good. Since they are licensed in most states, their prof. Install is legal for such purposes. Also, they have a private contract with the local PD, and their triggered PD response time on an alarm is quick, as compared to me calling for the same issue, from exactly the same address, to the same PD. And the responding officers when they do get there, are already informed, and more interested to actually do something, and they also do provide a police report without the usual delays and issues. Hope this help some. Jim.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
ScottD, I did forget to mention, that that same Simply Safe does have, and tied to sell us a "Professional Install" option, but it was optional, and on sale it was $70-150 one time fee, depending on the SQ footage of the premises and the number of sensors, cameras and remotes to be programmed that you pick for your system. We had chosen the self install, but they kept offering the professional one, even many months later, when the whole thing is up and running good. Since they are licensed in most states, their prof. Install is legal for such purposes. Also, they have a private contract with the local PD, and their triggered PD response time on an alarm is quick, as compared to me calling for the same issue, from exactly the same address, to the same PD. And the responding officers when they do get there, are already informed, and more interested to actually do something, and they also do provide a police report without the usual delays and issues. Hope this help some. Jim.
Thats good info man, than you. Im still trying to calm down about this whole thing. Regardless, Im going to have to pay thru the azz for the privledge to operate a business here in NY, as 50 cal stated, I may as well make it a write off.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Write off the cost of the initial purchase as a deductable business expense, and then write off the monthly monitoring fees, maintenance and repair bills, electric bill to run the ****, and any other cost you can think of and make the tax laws work for YOU.
Besides, you can buy video recording camera systems at Lowes and Home Depot. Then you can have them “peofessionally” installed by their store installers.
You need to just learn how to play the game, thats all.
Hope that helps.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts