1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a S&W 3913 wander into my shop straight out of the 1970's. It was a duty gun for a retired cop when he was a young detective. Now his youngest daughter is off to college after Christmas. She loves to shoot the old Smith and he wanted her to have it, but she is also pining for a "Tiffany Glock". Go ahead and take a moment to Google that if you are clueless like I was. You will be appalled at the power of modern marketing.

So he wanted it Tiffanyized. DuraCoat makes a color they call "Audrey Blue", which just happens to match the Tiffany color and I assume refers to Audrey Hepburn's role in "Breakfast At Tiffany's". I cleaned up the mechanics and worked out the worst dings on the slide, frame and grips, sprayed the whole mess, then polished up the slide, barrel and controls. Pix attached.

Turns out gunsmithing is a lot like running the Gold and Silver pawnshop in Las Vegas. You never know what is going to come through that door.

Electronic instrument Gun Firearm Trigger Airsoft gun Starting pistol Firearm Gun Trigger Green Gun accessory Firearm Gun Trigger Green Turquoise Revolver

·
Registered
283 Posts
One one hand I say Egads and Aaaaaaggggghhhhh!

On the other I say, well whatever keeps the younger generation interested in firearms.

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
custom

At least it's not gold and chrome plated! And if it take a goofy looking gun for gal to pack to keep her safe I say paint them whatever they want! I wouldn't let one of my girls go off to college without some kind of protection!

·
Registered
625 Posts
I'm not into the color thing, but I think you did a great job! Workmanship looks good and I'm sure the customer is happy. After all, that's what counts....isn't it?

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Yea I know what you mean. My daughter is pining for a Pink Hello Kitty Remington Model 870 Riot shotgun. LOL

--fjruple

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I sent out an email blast to all of my customers last night with a short explanation and the same pix I posted here. Figured they would be interested in seeing another goofy project. Woke up this morning to a full in-box!

The little blue gun certainly stirs strong emotions, and the division between for and against is stark. To a woman all the females who responded loved it. To a man all the men loathed it. One said just holding it would make him flinch never mind shooting it. Another opined that he had never seen a Smith hang its head in shame before.

Granted, the women are already into guns since they have brought firearms they already own to a gunsmith for modification or repair, but I wonder if we as men are driving women away from impulse purchases of new firearms because we insist on black and blue guns with an occasional chunk of walnut thrown in? I know my training as a new shooter many moons ago was, "You can use this old .22 to learn with." "Once you know what you are doing we'll talk about getting you something nice."

Maybe with women we should turn that around - and in more colors than pink.

·
BeltFed GURU
4,433 Posts
I have a good friend who offered a pink cricket 22LR to his daughter and she was having nothing to do with it :rofl:
She says "Daddy i want one of your rifles in pink !!:rofl::rofl: He manufactures the Ferret 50 BMG ,so he built her one !! Now at 7 she could not handle full 50 loads so project Alanna was made ,an aluminum straight bored 50 case with nylon bullets powered by a 50 primer and and a pinch of pistol powder . At 50 yards it is a tack driver unless there is a crosswind ,the slugs are reusable and that little one can shoot !!! When she first got the rifle it was way bigger than she was :rofl::rofl::rofl: now not so much (they grow fast !) . She still too young to compete but in a few more years the guys will be getting a shellacking by a very cute young Lady showing them how it is done at 1000 yd. :rofl::rofl::rofl: !!!! She already shoots full bore 50 BMG loads with her one of a kind Pink Ferret 50 :D .

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Frog, I believe there was an article about that Ferret in the 50 Caliber Shooter's Association magazine a couple of years ago. If so, it was definitely pink!

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Personally is doesn't trip my trigger (pun intended) but if that's what the customer wants well... that what they want.

We need all the shooters and gun owners we can find pink guns, blue guns whatever.

Wonder if Gucci will make a concealed carry shoulder bag?

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Nice work! I'm a painter by trade and learned long ago that I'm not a "decorator". What ever color the customer wants, I tell them it's beautiful and apply what they pick. I once painted a home (winter residents from Michigan) turquoise and pink (I think the chart called them teal and spanish red). After I was done, they actually put a flock of plastic flamingos in the front yard! Said they wanted to live the "Florida Life".....they loved it. :rofl:
I did the best job that I could and learned not to make faces when customers pick colors........and to get a signature before buying the paint!

Matt

·
Registered
965 Posts
Wowee!! Nice work. I like the sight detail.

I can always wind up the designers with the phrase "paint is a preservative - tint is an opinion".

Smart to follow orders. Salesmen always struggle to bridge the gap between what the customer wants and what the customer needs. Your workmanship prevails. I doubt the bullet will care, nor will the tombstone of the crook carry an astrix as to the condition of the tool that secured their fate.

As for that Ferret; a pink supercomp with a bow on it would be fine by me. Nothing more fun (and prideful) than a daughter kicking the boy's bottoms on their perceived home turf.

118 Posts
Where are the mother or pearl grips?

Nice work! I'm a painter by trade and learned long ago that I'm not a "decorator". What ever color the customer wants, I tell them it's beautiful and apply what they pick. I once painted a home (winter residents from Michigan) turquoise and pink (I think the chart called them teal and spanish red). After I was done, they actually put a flock of plastic flamingos in the front yard! Said they wanted to live the "Florida Life".....they loved it. :rofl:
I did the best job that I could and learned not to make faces when customers pick colors........and to get a signature before buying the paint!

Matt
Screw the signature, get a check.

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Apparently it's a trend. Just had a customer drop off a new S&W M&P 40 with a stainless slide. His girlfriend is getting the gun for Christmas and wants the same treatment.

Married 40 years and raised a fine daughter. Still don't understand a thing about women. :confused:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts