1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife and I were running errands tonight in my BRAND NEW Tacoma. Ive had it less than 3 weeks. As we pull out of the grocery store and on to a main, 6 lane road, I see the guy next to me swerving between lanes like hes deciding where to go. Slow down for a stop light, look in rearview......holy **** those headlights are coming awfully fast........BANG.......

I get out and get to my rear bumper, now crumpled. I look at the driver and scream "THIS IS MY FIRST NEW CAR".....and then, remembering Ive got a gun on my hip, walk back to front of my car to calm down. After a few minutes, I go back to this guy and ask for his insurance cards.....he doesn't have them...at this point I had to make a conscience decision to either further engage this guy for personal information or walk away and wait for the cops.

I walked away. Let me tell you, I was on the verge of tears. This truck is the nicest thing Ive EVER owned. Im 42 and its my FIRST new car and my biggest purchase ever. Im SO proud of my new car...and because of one careless *******, Im going to need body work, time off work, insurance phone calls and all sorts of aggravation. I wanted to scream at this guy and go batshit on him for being such a careless idiot.....but the gun on my hip just said "dont escalate this situation". Stay calm.

If I wasnt carrying tonight, Im pretty sure Id have started screaming at this guy and lost my temper. No way that would have ended well. On another positive note, I took the sheriff aside and told him "hey, Im carrying and I have the proper license if you need to see it", The sheriff didnt even seem concerned. It wasnt even an issue. He didnt even ask to see my permit.

So, all in all Ive had a shitty night. My brand new truck got smashed up by a guy with a suspended license and half assed insurance. However, I really think that the simple fact that I was carrying made me take a step back and calm down. Fawking libtards want to say guns cause violence....tonight Id dare say it prevented it. Not in the usual deterrence sense, but from a personal responsibility sense.

OK, I feel a little better. Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Take some ibhprofin before bed, both of you. You may not feel it now but you may be sore in the morning so some ranger candy might help minimize any stiffness

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Man I hope tomorrow is better for you.
Don't be so fast to claim you feel good because it takes a few days for some of the aches and pains to show up.
Things to think about as well after a rear end collision or any collision.
Did your airbags go off?

I got T boned in the middle of an intersection about 10 years ago in my first brand new van. had less then 12,000 miles on it .
It was at about 6:30 in the morning. I was rolling along at about 35 the light turned green for me It had been green for about 30 seconds before I crossed into the intersection I'm half way across when I see this red meteorite come out of now were never attempted to stop never hit the brakes slams into the left side of my van and send me up on a side walk and wedges me in between the street light and into a store front. All in slow motion .
Scary part was the poor lady walking down the side walk I was on. I'm looking at her I know I'm going to hit her ,she knows I'm going to hit her.

Long story short police towed my car but didn't tell me where.
Insurance company was the same for me as the guy that hit me.

I could have probably sued the crap out of the guy but all I wanted was my new van back.
It was 2 years old but it was new when I bought it and it only had 12,000 miles on it.
The insurance company kept trying to low ball me showing me vans with 100,000 miles on it .

I finally had to get a lawyer involved and he kept trying to get me to sue for more then I wanted.

It messed up my ankle , neck and , one wrist.
I had about 3 months of PT and felt good for awhile but after a few years the damages started to show up. But the case had already settled.

It took a few days for the seal belt bruises to show up and the neck pains to start .

Make sure they have to pay for a rental car.
Take your car to a good body shop. If the frame is bent they will total the car most likely.

If the shop says it will take 2 weeks figure it will take 4.

Don't be to nice . Because I guarantee your insurance company doesn't really have your best interest at heart.

Glad you kept a clear head and you and your family could walk away.
Yes it will be a pain in the ass missed work and even though you have insurance it will cost you something.

Good luck
GW

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Been down that road

I'm in favor of tougher restrictions on drivers and vehicles. To many idiots have keys, no skills, no insurance, no common sense, and yet they are allowed to drive on the roads we use. Then they park their POS next to you and open their door into yours! Would reactive armor be acceptable? I'd suggest they only be allowed to ride horses, but there are some really nice horses that don't deserve them either.
Don't look to the insurance companies for any relief, they are in business with revenue based on higher premiums due to idiots.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the shop says it will take 2 weeks figure it will take 4.

Don't be to nice . Because I guarantee your insurance company doesn't really have your best interest at heart.

Yes it will be a pain in the ass missed work and even though you have insurance it will cost you something.

Good luck
GW
My kid brother is an insurance guy, and Im full time military with close ties to local LEO's. Ive got the procedural stuff down pat. Im just REALLY angry that this is my FIRST , car, FIRST accident.....and the guy who hit me had a suspended license and 'assumed risk' insurance. (really crappy drivers get thrown into a risk pool and NY mandates that insurance companies take on 'x' many percentage of the idiot drivers. )

Im just really pissed at all the BS that happens going forth. Phone calls, insurance, claims, rental cars....I just want my new truck back.

·
Registered
350 Posts
The wife and I were running errands tonight in my BRAND NEW Tacoma. Ive had it less than 3 weeks. As we pull out of the grocery store and on to a main, 6 lane road, I see the guy next to me swerving between lanes like hes deciding where to go. Slow down for a stop light, look in rearview......holy **** those headlights are coming awfully fast........BANG.......

I get out and get to my rear bumper, now crumpled. I look at the driver and scream "THIS IS MY FIRST NEW CAR".....and then, remembering Ive got a gun on my hip, walk back to front of my car to calm down. After a few minutes, I go back to this guy and ask for his insurance cards.....he doesn't have them...at this point I had to make a conscience decision to either further engage this guy for personal information or walk away and wait for the cops.

I walked away. Let me tell you, I was on the verge of tears. This truck is the nicest thing Ive EVER owned. Im 42 and its my FIRST new car and my biggest purchase ever. Im SO proud of my new car...and because of one careless *******, Im going to need body work, time off work, insurance phone calls and all sorts of aggravation. I wanted to scream at this guy and go batshit on him for being such a careless idiot.....but the gun on my hip just said "dont escalate this situation". Stay calm.

If I wasnt carrying tonight, Im pretty sure Id have started screaming at this guy and lost my temper. No way that would have ended well. On another positive note, I took the sheriff aside and told him "hey, Im carrying and I have the proper license if you need to see it", The sheriff didnt even seem concerned. It wasnt even an issue. He didnt even ask to see my permit.

So, all in all Ive had a shitty night. My brand new truck got smashed up by a guy with a suspended license and half assed insurance. However, I really think that the simple fact that I was carrying made me take a step back and calm down. Fawking libtards want to say guns cause violence....tonight Id dare say it prevented it. Not in the usual deterrence sense, but from a personal responsibility sense.

OK, I feel a little better. Thanks for listening.

Had you beat. My first new truck was a 2003 dodge ram 1500. Had it less than 24 hours, not even 100 miles on odometer when a drunk uninsured, unlicensed sh*tbag from NY nailed me and totaled it. Only plus out of it was able to upgrade to 4x4 and a hemi

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'm in favor of tougher restrictions on drivers and vehicles. To many idiots have keys, no skills, no insurance, no common sense, and yet they are allowed to drive on the roads we use. Then they park their POS next to you and open their door into yours! Would reactive armor be acceptable? I'd suggest they only be allowed to ride horses, but there are some really nice horses that don't deserve them either.
Don't look to the insurance companies for any relief, they are in business with revenue based on higher premiums due to idiots.

Oh and this all way. My 2014 f150, a few weeks ago. Parked well away from everyone. ******* parked his dump box right next to mine almost in my spot, and sure enough a first decent sized aero dynamic crease in drivers door. I may or may not have accidently walked by with my dewalt drill with hole saw spinning squeezing by to get in my vehicle against said ahole, but don't know(was carrying a few things **** could happen)

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Had a guy hit my new Impala SS in 1993, only had it a couple months. Claimed he had insurance and provided a paper for the LEO. Turns out he had cancelled it and took the refund. Ended up suing him in court and got a settlement, but he went to prison for attempted murder on his wife. That scum died in prison and I never collected a dime!!! What a waste of my time and money. I even tried to settle it out with him before I took him to court. Even had to go to a show cause hearing when he wouldn't pay. It can always be worse, at least your not crippled or maimed.
CaptMax

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I believe that having a CC permit forces one to remember that keeping cool is always important.

In September 1999 I ordered- brand new and at a price of OMG $42,700- the ONE car I absolutely loved, and knew I always would a BMW M Roadster, silver with black & red interior.

After that I got into racing and such. The car now has 42,xxx miles on it- with more than 5000 of those miles at Watkins Glen, MoSport, and other race tracks. Thousands of miles at speeds over 100mph and not a scratch.

Last month some old dude decides to cut across traffic to reach the opposite lane. I almost got around him, but he caught my convertible end-to-end. It's been in the shop now for 45 days.

Thank god he wasn't DUI. Nor was the other old dude who creamed another vehicle of mine in '84, or the three women who destroyed three other vehicles on me. Nope, they all get a failure to yield and off they go.

Scott- make sure his insurance company gets you a rental. You are entitled (oh, I love that word, ENTITLED) to have an equivalent vehicle at the expense of his insurance company. Typically insurance companies have a rental company they will direct-bill. So call his insurance company and tell them you want a rental while yours is in the shop. I've had one the last 45 days at $50/day= $2,250, and I don't have to slow for speed bumps, I can use the throttle switch (on/off on/off) and it offroads OK!

Glad you stayed cool. Be glad nobody was hurt. And go get your rental!

·
Read Only
836 Posts
Sorry to hear about your Taco. If you need help reviewing your estimate lmk, I was ICAR Platinum for almost a decade and battled insurance BS on a daily basis. The rearend is awfully strong on most framed vehicles but demand a setup and measurement. That may trigger frame damage on a car fax report but you'll have piece of mind knowing. Ask to see the printout of the frame measurements to force the body shop to actually do it.

I've said in the past to LE "officer for your safety and mine I have a firearm located on my person, in condition 1" when pulled over. Wait for response. If they want to see it for whatever dumb reason ask to get out and make the LE remove it for you, and put it back.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I posted a similar thread over on a Tacoma forum. Reactions varied from ' Damn dude, sorry' to 'You should have shot him, or at least his car (Im not kidding) to 'your gun was never even a consideration in this and you have no right to even think so'.....

Its funny how the gun community realizes 1) there was serious potential for escalation last night and 2) I chose not to provoke an already volatile situation, despite having every law on my side. (I really should have pressed him for more personal information when he told me he didnt have drivers lic or insurance cards on him, but I didnt a, I feared it would get nasty)

Boy am I in a grumpy mood today. Have to meet with the other guys insurance agent tomorrow. Thats not going to be fun for anybody.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Had a guy hit my new Impala SS in 1993, only had it a couple months. Claimed he had insurance and provided a paper for the LEO. Turns out he had cancelled it and took the refund. Ended up suing him in court and got a settlement, but he went to prison for attempted murder on his wife. That scum died in prison and I never collected a dime!!!
CaptMax
Some people will do ANYTHING to get out of paying a bill!

Scott;

Way to keep your head. Dealing with the insurance on a wrecked car sounds easier than dealing with the insurance of the deceased assailant. A new car/truck has easily defined value, and should be an easy argument to win if they try to stiff you. If it was 20 years old the cost / value ratio is skewed the wrong way. +1 on not being accommodating. The insurance companies are profit driven and will do many things to preserve that. Medical exams are useful for down the road to establish a date/time/cause. Falling off the racebike on Sunday always felt the worst on Tuesday.

If you change your mind and want to re-engage, I can loan you my magazine collection of horses to calm your nerves by.

B-D

B-D

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Sorry to hear that Scott - it could have always been worse - you could have woke up in an ambulance.

On another note - yeah - insurance blows for the one taking the hit!!!

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The rest of the world is SOOOO thin skinned! My post on the Tacoma forum got locked down because some other guys said "I hope it wasnt one of those 'no speaky english' types who hit me. Some guys got butthurt and they locked the post down! Oh my fawking tree hugging super sensitive bunch of panty wastes.

One guy made a comment about ethnicity, all I said was the guy who hit me was from a "much lower socioeconomic class" than myself. I figured that was a polite way of saying he was poor and from the crappy part of town. I didnt make any further inference...wow, people get all sorts of offended nowadays. Its the fuggin internet folks!!!

·
Read Only
836 Posts
The rest of the world is SOOOO thin skinned! My post on the Tacoma forum got locked down because some other guys said "I hope it wasnt one of those 'no speaky english' types who hit me. Some guys got butthurt and they locked the post down! Oh my fawking tree hugging super sensitive bunch of panty wastes.

One guy made a comment about ethnicity, all I said was the guy who hit me was from a "much lower socioeconomic class" than myself. I figured that was a polite way of saying he was poor and from the crappy part of town. I didnt make any further inference...wow, people get all sorts of offended nowadays. Its the fuggin internet folks!!!
I thought all toyota owners owned guns:ak:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8GgrGvqYUjY

·
Registered
32 Posts
Do your research on whatever shop his insurance wants to use and GET a quote from Toyota dealer you bought it from using 100% real Toyota parts. There are so many different grades replacement parts for auto collision repair. The last thing you want is some cheap Chinese parts covered in cheap paint topped off with medium grade clearcoat. Also,while your at the Toyoya dealer. You should talk to the sales manager and ask him to put two things on paper for you. On the first sheet you have him do a no damage trade in estimate on what your truck would be worth in 12-18 months with the usual mileage for your area. And on the second paper get a trade in estimate on what the same truck is worth with a damage disclosure on Carfax(and tell him it might say frame damage). That's all you need to get the other guys insurance to get the repairs done at the dealer. Where they got all the equipment to do frame work and color match your paint correctly. I have a large truck and equipment repair shop and also keep a painter and bodyman on the payroll. And I deal with Dupont and PPG retailers and their colormatch systems everyday. And I have never seen a color they mixed that was a 100% match for the dealer color.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Ahhhh , yes . Do not have them pick the repair shop ..... ever .
I have a '79 Ford f100 that was damaged in a storm here several years ago , now . Some mobile home shade went through my grill . Busted up the front , hood , radiator , a/c condenser, etc. Wanted them to take it to Dicks , they wanted to take it to Toms . I had heard bad things about Toms , but had never used them . Farm Bureau said they would guarantee his work for the lifetime of the truck . Well , I had Farm Bureau for 20-30 years and the truck from '79 , so lifetime was good .
Right off the bat , the A/c didn't work more than a couple days . Took it back , didn't work more than a couple days 2nd time . Same the 3rd time . Toms said they would not touch it again . Reported it to Farm Bureau , they said they'd get back to me . Four weeks later I took it into a A/C shop , Toms had over charged the system and the high head pressure had popped every seal in the compressor . He had been pushing the old seals back in and recharging to get out of replacing the compressor he blew . Had them do it right and submited the bill to Farm Bureau .
A few months later I happened to notice the chrome grill on the front of my truck no longer matched the chrome trim on the rest of the truck . Instead of getting chrome plated steel , he bought cheep aluminum and polished it to match . Took pictures and submitted it to Farm Bureau , they said they'd get back to me .
Christmas Day , about 16 months or so after the repairs , going down the freeway , with no warning , the high quality radiator Tom's put in the truck splits , without any warning , all along the top seam . The water comes out with such force that when it hits the firewall it diverts up and out between the hood and front window it bends the hood hinges up . The radiator peeling open busts up the fan shroud , throwing it into the fan , and sends a fan blade into my hood , raising a large dent and busting some of the cheep paint off . The water also ripped the air cleaner apart .
Notified Farm Bureau , they said they'd get back to me .
Fearful of what might have gone down the intake , we pulled the heads to check it out . We cleaned out all the antifreeze , engine itself was OK . Sent Farm Bureau the shop bill on the engine / radiator repairs . They still needed to take care of the hood repairs and the hood hinges . Farm Bureau said they'd get back to me .
Now , the clear coat on the hood is peeling , the paint is comming off , while the rest of the truck is pretty much ok .
Farm Bureaus responses ( after the two year limit for me to sue for damages ) was :
Tom's did not replace the compressor , so him blowing it up is not covered by Farm Bureau .
Tom replaced the chrome grill with a polished aluminium one , but it is not defective , so no coverage by Farm Bureau .
Tom did not work on the motor / fan / etc. , so those repairs are not covered as you did not hit anything when you flew off the freeway after the water blinded you . If you had hit something , we might talk about it.
The radiator itself is not covered because Farm Bureau's lifetime warranty only lasts a year.
The paint is not covered because Farm Bureau's lifetime warranty only lasts a year .

Learned my lessions the hard way . Even after decades of business , they are not to be trusted . They are not your friends .
Chris

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Outdoordave SEZ: "....you could have woke up in an ambulance...."

....or NOT!

You know the old story: "I felt bad because I had no shoes,..."

Carry On!
Gary
><>

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
cars

Keep us up to date how this world out. How did you both feel a couple days down the road? I was rear ended at a highway off ramp many years ago, the lady slammed on her brakes and the nose of the car dove under my rear end, it was a big T bird with a tow hitch welded to the bumper so she ended up much worse off then I did, at least in relation to the car, but two days after I couldn't turn my head, just your standard whiplash, no long term damage but it slowed me down for a week or so, and there wasn't anything I could do about it because the lady that hit me didn't want to call the cops,I was late for an appointment and my car didn't get hurt at all. Hope it turns out OK, really sucks to have nice stuff beat by some idiot!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts