1919 A4 Forums banner

Idea for cheap linker with single piece flow BACK IN STOCK!!!

17K views 101 replies 32 participants last post by  Autonomy_Lost 
#1 · (Edited)
Edit: Linkers are now for sale! You can order directly through our website at L1 Pocket Linker for 1919 30 Caliber Machine Guns .308 (7.62x51) & 30-06 - 702 Labs

(I have been given permission from Rory to post this, thanks Rory!)

Original post below:

Here is a linker for 308 that I just cobbled together:

It only does one round at a time, which honestly I don't think is a bad thing. In lean manufacturing, single piece flow is usually more efficient than batch work anyway. Also being this small means you can easily toss it into a range bag, and it cheaper to make and ship.

This one is very rough around the edges, but works great. If I were to clean this up a bit, is this something you guys would be interested in buying? I would consider doing a small run of these if there is enough interest.

See less See more
#37 ·
Still a few weeks out, the bases are all welded up but I still need to weld the plunger assemblies, then send them out for engraving and parkerizing. Meanwhile we are still working on the webstore...if these are done before the webstore is ready I can probably just take a paypal payment and sell them on the forum.

#45 ·
The first run of 25 will be available soon, and there are more on the way. I'm starting a list so we can make sure that people who asked first can get in on the first run. You will not have to send payment until they are actually ready to ship. Here is everyone who has expressed interest:

1. @Red57
2. @1BigGuy
3. @Badger
4. @GUNNER 50 (not sure if you are interested or not based on your post)
5. @Bones8625
6. @tacreload
7. @RMGO

There were a few other people who posted in the thread but didn't indicate if they were interested in purchasing. If you want to be added (or removed) from the list please just post in this thread.

If you are on the list I will hold one for you for a week after they go up for sale.

Thanks everyone for the interest!

#46 ·
Alright folks, first batch is ready to ship! Anyone on the list has a week from today to send payment and I will save your place in line. If you are not on the list and want to buy one, please send me a pm.

Price is $100 even, and that includes flat rate shipping to CONUS. Payments should go paypal friends and family (or add 3%) to payments@702labs.com

#51 ·
Thanks everyone! I got all of the paid orders shipped today, they will be picked up by USPS tomorrow. If you provided an email address you should receive tracking info. I will try to respond to all the PM's as well, just really slammed right now.

#54 ·
Finally got a chance to try it out, it’s really an awesome tool, particularly for us SA owners that aren’t dumping hundreds of rounds at the range. (With ammo prices as they are most people probably aren’t, anyways, but I digress.). The small form factor is great, as well. I may play around and add a spring and a detent stop for the plunger, but so far so good! I loaded 100 rounds in about 20 minutes, much faster than by hand. I’m sure that will improve once I get the flow down. Nice work!

#55 ·
Thanks for the feedback! I messed around with adding a spring, it worked but I found that it was actually easier for me to use without it. Either way I would be interested to see what you come up with.

If its helpful at all, carefully watch the video I posted of using the linker. I actually flip the plunger off to the side after each cycle. After awhile it becomes automatic and you can get really fast.

#56 ·
702 you did a amazing job after about the first ten rounds I found my pace and cranked out a 250 round belt in just a little while. Only thing is I think I'm gonna add a piece of rubber on the palm portion just to help make it more comfortable, but all around a beautiful piece of work, again you made a very handy tool that's going to be staying with my browning's ammo cans from now on. Was well worth the wait!

#58 ·
Glad you like it!

702lab,
See i told you pad for the palm LOL it is a great design and the production turned out superb ! You deserve the WECSOG (Wiley E Coyote School Of Gunsmithing ) award from the long ago of this forum .Well Done Sir !!!
Ha! You are not wrong about the rubber, I never doubted you! I've just had bad luck in the past any time it comes to gluing things, and I didn't want to have issues with them falling off. There's also this thing called "feature creep" where you end up adding more and more features until something just becomes too expensive. I figured worst case it shouldn't be too difficult for people to add a pad of some sort if they want to.

Side note, I've never heard of the WECSOG award, but I have been called the world's most okayest gunsmith!

#65 ·
Currently sold out but I have another run of 25 in the works. Sorry no ETA yet as we are slammed with firearm sales!

Well, that and... a plate linker does 20 at a time. I don't want to waste my precious range time linking one round at a time. Hell, that's slower than loading a magazine.
A plate linker does 20 at a time, but you still need to place each round and link on the plate individually, so it's not 20 times faster. I'm guessing it would be about twice as fast. If someone wants to film themselves loading 100 rounds on a plate linker I've love to go head to head with them and see what the difference really is.

#63 ·
Well if you guys are in Cali then you can only link 10 at a time , so what's your point....Wasting time at the range?....Why don't you just link them at home and take more then you need ...Works for me.

#67 ·
I don't know ANY 1919 shooters here in CA who only load 10 at a time because everyone I know has had the links before the ban or linked up a bunch during freedom week. And yes, I don't load at the range, I have plenty of links and use a plate linker in advance so I can haul 1000 round to the range at a time.