1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Edit: Linkers are now for sale, $100 shipped. The easiest way for me to accept orders is through the GunBroker listing, here: L1 Pocket 1919 Linker for M1919 30 Cal Machine Guns 7.62x51 and .308 - Gunsmithing Tools & Gunsmith Supplies at GunBroker.com : 886589968

(Mods, if gunbroker listing violates the rules please let me know. This is just until our website goes live)

Original post below:

Here is a linker for 308 that I just cobbled together:

It only does one round at a time, which honestly I don't think is a bad thing. In lean manufacturing, single piece flow is usually more efficient than batch work anyway. Also being this small means you can easily toss it into a range bag, and it cheaper to make and ship.

This one is very rough around the edges, but works great. If I were to clean this up a bit, is this something you guys would be interested in buying? I would consider doing a small run of these if there is enough interest.

·
BeltFed GURU
4,409 Posts
I like it ,very simple and efficient the only thing i would add is a rounded piece of rubber ball to push surface to pad and fit the palm more comfortably .

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I like it ,very simple and efficient the only thing i would add is a rounded piece of rubber ball to push surface to pad and fit the palm more comfortably .
Thanks, I do have a few improvements that I would like to make. I would like to add a flat spot for an optional c-clamp so you can securely attach it to a table. I would also like to add a rubber bumper on the "pusher" just to reduce the chance of setting off a primer. And yeah, a palm cushion of sorts would be nice.

ETA: I forgot the mention, the linker is symmetrical so you can set it up for left or right handed usage. You can feed the belt from either side, and the "pusher" can be flipped to either the left or right side of the linker.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's an updated version with some improvements:

I used a longer rod with a larger diameter that fits in the tube better. This keeps everything aligned nicely, and it's less likely to fall out during use. I also added two spots where you can use a c-clamp, and I made the palm pad larger to distribute the pressure on your palm. Oh, and I added a rubber bumper on the pusher so you don't accidentally set off a primer.

This thing works really smooth and is a pleasure to operate. I'll try to get a new video up.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Sweet! How much are you selling them for? 😉

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looks good (and a LOT easier on the ol' thumb!) Let us know some details regarding pricing and shipping please.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sweet! How much are you selling them for? 😉
I did the math and a decent amount of cost/effort goes into making each one...If I get them parkerized I'll have to do around $100 shipped to make it worthwhile. Still about 1/3 the cost of a standard loader. What would the interest be at that price?

·
Premium Member
6,427 Posts
Great tool to have in the range box so you don't have to drag a large linker around. Nice work.

·
Registered
902 Posts
At $100 I'd be out. I'm not knocking you because I'd probably ask even more for my time. But if I'm dragging the whole ensemble out, I'll just take the big loader at that point

·
Registered
114 Posts
I did the math and a decent amount of cost/effort goes into making each one...If I get them parkerized I'll have to do around $100 shipped to make it worthwhile. Still about 1/3 the cost of a standard loader. What would the interest be at that price?
Great bench item even better for the range box, I would be in for one, getting back into my belt fed stuff so yah let me know how to purchase.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
I dont doubt that each unit is worth $100 of your time, but thats a little higher than most of us would pay for a single loader. (Not because its not worth it, but because we are cheap bastarbs)

Have you considered selling blueprints or construction drawings? Many of us here can build our own stuff but you seem to have the measurements down perfectly. Id gladly pay 10 bucks for a parts list and dimensions. I figure you've already introduced the concept, (we are going to try and replicate it regardless) you may as well sell a few copies of it drawn out.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I dont doubt that each unit is worth $100 of your time, but thats a little higher than most of us would pay for a single loader. (Not because its not worth it, but because we are cheap bastarbs)

Have you considered selling blueprints or construction drawings? Many of us here can build our own stuff but you seem to have the measurements down perfectly. Id gladly pay 10 bucks for a parts list and dimensions. I figure you've already introduced the concept, (we are going to try and replicate it regardless) you may as well sell a few copies of it drawn out.
Yah I’m a cheap ass one but got to many projects so a little help is good to me

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
I think this is just as fast as a 20rd linker , and has the basics of a loader that could load both links and cloth if a little more time and effort was put into it...I also think that if you are able to make this happen , it would be worth 3x what your asking...Look at the JJ loader...Not much more then you have here....I think this is a great product and would be happy to spend the $100 if I had the need to.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think this is just as fast as a 20rd linker , and has the basics of a loader that could load both links and cloth if a little more time and effort was put into it...I also think that if you are able to make this happen , it would be worth 3x what your asking...Look at the JJ loader...Not much more then you have here....I think this is a great product and would be happy to spend the $100 if I had the need to.
I like it. Let me see if I can make a version that works for both 30-06 and 308 with links or cloth belts. I have some ideas.

Are there any over insertion issues with cloth belts, or do you just seat the rounds fully until they stop? I have some cloth belts but I've never tried loading them myself.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts