1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently inherited some good old fashioned American WWII-era firepower in the form of an Israeli kit 1919, along with what I believe to be an authentic portable mount for a German MG42 light machine gun.

Despite some thorough research I haven't been able to come up with reliable information about the authenticity or value of the tripod (some folks from Reddit's gun community helped me ID the specifics of the 1919). I'm likely going to sell it, so I'd like to have a firm conception of what exactly it is!

I took some photos of the mount, and am hoping some antique gun connoisseurs can help me out in determining what exactly I have my hands on.

Pictures here: http://imgur.com/a/zdWdS

It has german markings and serial numbers, and I found a perfectly intact field scope in the case. The whole setup functions smoothly.

I'd appreciate whatever input the community can give!

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Hi from Texas. What you have is a post-war tripod for the MG3 gun. Same as the MG42 for all intensive porpoises, but not WWII. It is an excellent tripod for shooting from and more than one person makes adapters for the 1919. J

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info — that makes sense. It seemed in much too good condition to be WWII era. Is there a practical application of the scope without an MG3?

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I really don't know. We had a set-up like that a while back and sold it but the guy didn't want/need the optic so we still have it. Kinda fun to look through I guess. Put your MG 42/Mg3 on it and go for broke? J

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Thanks for the info — that makes sense. It seemed in much too good condition to be WWII era. Is there a practical application of the scope without an MG3?
Sure! It attaches to the tripod so it is usable with whatever is mounted to the tripod provided it is sighted in.

These go for $300-$400 not including shipping.

Here is a nice one on Gunbroker right now. Appears to be the same condition as yours but his has the battery box for the lighted reticle on the optic.

$395 - http://www.gunbroker.com/item/628937355 (not mine)

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
As noted, it is post-war, MG3, but just for the record, it is really not at all like the WWII MG34 and MG42 three legged mounts called Lafettes, and is patterned after the BREN LMG tripod. The scope is stored in a metal box mounted within the triangle of the cradle frame.
The scope mounts so that the user really must lie on the ground, or be in a trench with the mount on the grade, since the ocular is very low when attached to the mount. Unfortunately, the low mounting makes them pretty much useless in virtually all recreational shooting situations.
While many hundreds of these have been imported, they are popular due to the increasing numbers of owners of semi-auto visions of the 42 as well as for use with other types of MGs with adaptors substituted.
Hope this helps....

·
Registered
287 Posts
Here is a picture of my WWII type MG42 Lafette tripod. This one is also post war Yugoslavian.

Here is my MG3 mount the same as what you have. As they said $300-$400. They were $199 NOS.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts